Frank Welker Interview

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by a person, Dec 15, 2007.

1. a person

a person Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  2. General Tekno

General Tekno Lugnut Supremor & Arkivist

News Credits:
    Dunno if it's cool to post Seibertron's entire story here.

Still, good interview.

Mods? What's the verdict with this?

3. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Yeah, it's not cool to post the entire story here, especially when there's not even a direct link to the story. The entire interview makes this page WAY too long.

4. Sycia

Sycia Draconian Faction

Great interview. I've always found it nice he signs off as Megatron. :lol 

5. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Great interview as always. I found it very interesting to read his views of the TF movie designs looking too insect-like and the irony of choosing Weaving for Megs only to distort the hell out of his voice. It seems too that he feels a bit shafted when auditioning for Movie Megs but not having any film/images to use as direct reference so that he could have (likely) adapted and made his version of the voice better suit what Bay was ultimately going for. Sounds like they heard his quasi G1-ish version, decided it didn't work and moved on without giving him another shot. Then again, based on the DVD special features, it sounded like Bay had Hugo Weaving in mind from day one anyway. It didn't seem like there was a lot Welker could have ever done (in Bay's eyes) to get the part.

But you know what sucks the most? That Mr. Welker does not own or even know about Masterpiece Megatron. Someone should really put together a fan-appreciation-charity package of MP Megs, Encore G1 Megs, Revoltech Megs, War Within Megs, Classics Megs and even Robot Heroes Megs and send it to his agent. If anyone deserves the various toy incarnations of his classic character, it's obviously him :)  Maybe throw in a G1 Soundwave as well, hehe. I'd certainly pony up some money to a trusted source to make it happen.

6. B-Fox

B-Fox Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Somebody needs to start a petition for Welker to be cast as Soundwave for the movie's sequel. Let's face it - odds are quite good Soundwave will be in the next one, and I don't think there's anyone here that WOULDN'T want Frank "Wheelie" Welker involved with the movie franchise beyond a voice over gig in a video game.

I agree with Michael Bay on Welker's Megatron voice not fitting "The Beast" that Movie Megatron was, though. Distorting of Agent Elrond's voice aside...;) 

The Cyclon-cum-Dr. Claw voice of Welker would work and fit in the movie's atmosphere,though.

7. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Welker is a highly respected and talented actor, but he's been rejected for work before and he'll be rejected for work again. It's showbiz, and fans shouldn't act as though it's some kind of huge disrespect for him because he wasn't selected for a new version of role he originated.

Re: the comment by Omega-1 in the comments section of the interview about how Bay should stop trying to control everything - I don't believe some fans know what a movie director is supposed to do.

8. domientius

domientius Well-Known Member

But Bay wants everything to be HIS WAY. And if the final product had been exactly what BAY WANTED(no talking robots, etc) it would have bombed. Like most of Bay's films. Then we have that crap trailer where cast members kept going "I'm Michael Bay" due to everyone blaming Bay for the movie's faults, but in interviews he gets mad at the mere SUGGESTION that he took ideas from someone else, to the point of showing distaste at having to work with Spielberg, DeSanto and Murphy at all. So yes, Bay is to blame because he wants all the credit.