Frank Welker - Die Autobot - Edited

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Tony_Bacala, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Tony_Bacala

Tony_Bacala Car Robots Professional Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Grabbed this from the Video trailer as seen on http://www.transformersgame.com featuring Frank Welker and Peter Cullen. Plays at the end.

Many fans said that it doesn't sound quite like the old Megs. I agree, somewhat. In his raw or slightly modded mode, It doesnt. Deeper, slower. So far that is.

BUT

I've "studied" G1 Voice work for a while now, while doing my songs and such I have to scan and chop, repeatedly listen to clips in order to position them right in the songs. I have probably about 4000 or so individual 1-10 second clips cut out in wav format here just from G1.

So, I decided to dump this clip into my programs and add some filters and various tweaks. I did this in about 10 minutes. With more playing could be better for sure.

I think with some pitching and the right phaser/flanges, It could be dead on to G1 Megs. Shoot, that may have been the way it was done in the 80s in the first place. There were crap loads of effects placed on these guys voices back then.

Case in point - Soundwave was the Dr. Claw voice from Inspector Gadget with a heavy Vocoder on it. Try it, you'll see :) 

Clips:
    http://www.tfw2005.com/misc/Megatron_Sample_Original.mp3 - Original.

http://www.tfw2005.com/misc/Megatron_Sample.mp3 - Edited by me.

2. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

sounds much more like Megatron, not bad!

3. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    Sounds okay for the game but I'm glad that Hugo is doing the movie.

4. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Yesh, I kind of feel the same way.

5. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I am looking forward to hearing Hugo's interpretation.

This Megs for the game kind of makes me cry inside, it doesn't really sound all that right.

Kind of like Megs in his later years, playing shuffleboard at the Decepticon retirement community.

6. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Hugo or Frank, I'm just glad Tony gave me those "Die Autobot" samples.
    Thanks, Tony. :thumb 

7. Lupis Convoy

Lupis Convoy Paw Prince Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    awesome. Thanks Tony! You can really tell the difference.

8. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

I don't know guys. I kinda like the fact that Welker's voice aged a bit.
    IMO it makes Megatron sound more evil. But I agree with the rest of the members, Tony's re-sampling makes him sound like its 1984 all over again.

9. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I sure miss that voice :( 

10. Zzeezz

Zzeezz Ambassador of Music TFW2005 Supporter

Ahh, those were great clips. I think Tony's right, that his modded clip is closer to to original 84 voice. I know that it doesn't sound completely like it. Still, I don't know what they did in terms of effects to Welker's voice in the original series either. If I remember correctly, Megs voice changed a bit within the first ep of More than meets the eye, like they weren't sure where they wanted to go with it either.

I could see Welker's voice coming out of that Megatron.

11. KMITB

KMITB The dub voice of Prime

News Credits:
    I think even Cullen sounds aged with Prime. That's life....we all get older and our voices change. Even when Welker was talking in his normal voice, I couldn't really hear the voice he used for Scooby Doo...which was basically his normal speaking voice. I think they can do enough to enhance the voice to get the desired effect. At this point, the only way to get that 1984 feel, is to go back to the master tapes (if they exist) and take out the lines you want to use. I'm more than pleased that these two are still at the voice acting game and were willing to reprise their roles. They can't be dead on 20 years later, so let's not judge them if they don't sound exactly like they did. No one, as far as I know, is exactly as they were 20 years ago.

12. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

Honestly I think I would have loved to see Welker do a Serious megatron for the movie. His voice would have sounded more unique than Weaving by far. I liked Weaving as V and smith but by now it getting pretty close to just oh that is the matrix guy when you hear the voice.

I have always thought that Welker still would have suprised everybody how good his movie megatron would have been. I could see Bay trying to keep the role serious and toned down with moments of insane anger and delusion. Its just that raspy voice that sounds like it has seen many eons of malice and dictatorship to just not care about consequence. He has the total capability of making it so much more than the cartoon voice.

I wonder in the eventual release of the movie do you think they may consider a welker voice over as an alternate audio track like they do with commentary. It would make sense for an ultimate edition I cant think of any respectful TF fan who wouldnt buy that.

13. jtuarus

jtuarus Prowls circutsu master TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    i wish we could get some soundbytes of weavings megs. and i do think welkers is nice and aged very well. i agree that to have a alt VO track of welker would be awsome. but lets hope weaving can do a good job or :Gouki: 

14. KMITB

KMITB The dub voice of Prime

News Credits:
    The problem is that we have no idea how the auditions went. We are merely speculating on why they picked Weaving over the others. Let's have the movie hit us between the eyes on the 4th of July, then we can question why the producers and so on did what they did.

15. vektsilver

i agree as I want to be pleasantly suprised by the movie. Weaving sounding like megatron but in a differant light would be pretty cool. I just need that raspiness that just makes it for me :lolol 

16. chaosbringer_00

chaosbringer_00 I am indescribable.

I personally prefer the original one. Tony did a great job, but the unaltered one actually sounds more like Megatron to me. I personally love how the two sound as Megatron and Optimus today. It sounds so much like they did back in '84, but new. Welker sounds so...evil. To me, that is certainly G! Megatron's voice, hands down. Heck, I almost like it better now. Unfortunately, it is hard to make any judgement without hearing Hugo Weaving as Megatron. Either way, nice job Tony, sounds cool.

17. SoundWave2007

SoundWave2007 Well-Known Member

damn why didnt they make frank megs in the movie this guy IS and ALWAYS will be megatron just as is peter cullen Optimus. making transformers the movie w.o having welker be megatron is like doing star wars and having the voice of darth vader not be james earl jones.

18. vektsilver

that is a great point and perfect analogy

19. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

News Credits:
    me aswell

20. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    He can't do the voice right anymore, even in this clip megatron sounds like he's on the verge of death. There's no reason to pick him if he can't do the original voice.