Frank Welker Days Away From Signing on for Movie Megatron?

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Super_Megatron, Jan 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    For the record...

They tried a movie once, to be faithful to the source material which was the original animated Transformers the Movie. And it flopped so badly that it put Transformers in a downward spiral of which it could not come out of until the latter part of Beast Wars. Some might even argue it took ROBOTS IN DISGUISE to get Transformers back in to the hearts of collectors and kids.

This movie, with the new designs and the new take on the story, is their attempt to make a new source material taking the very things that made Transformers so so successful in the past in to a new light, bringing in old fans (who like Transformers) and introducing new people who haven't seen Transformers or who have strayed away from it over the years back in to the whole thing.

This movie isn't going to be about story, it's not going to be an oscar winning performance by any of the actors/actresses. This movie is going to do what it was always intended to do - be a big summer blockbuster movie full of explosions and special effects. That's why it's on July 4th (remember INDEPENDANCE DAY or ARMAGEDDON or PEARL HARBOR or THE ISLAND)? None of those movies were known for their story, the exception being ARMAGEDDON but throw Bruce Willis in to any movie and it will be successful, but these movies were known for their amazing special effects.

You get the best director for special effects (Michael Bay) and put him with a movie that will be remembered for the special effects (Transformers), then throw in the rich history of the franchise (20+ years) and the loyal fanbase (collectors, akin to Star Wars, Spiderman, X-Men, Superman, Batman, etc.) and give the generla consumer something they haven't seen before (giant transforming robots that blow shit up, and no, WAR OF THE WORLDS doesn't count), and you have a recipe for a great summer movie.

Peter Cullen and Frank Welker are the studios attempts and probably the closest thing they can do to bringing the "G1" part of Transformers back in to it. Instead of chastizing the movie because Optimus Prime doesn't look like his G1 self, same for Megatron, people should realize that a movie like that WOULD FAIL, because it doesn't look realistic, it would be immediately written off as a kids movie, and we see the same trend that started in 1986 happen again.

In fact, GI Joe fans should pray this movie does great, because it would open the door for a GI Joe flick. If you want Transformers to succeed, this movie needs to do well. If it flops, this franchise is toast again.

That being said ... see you July 4th :) 

2. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

It's probably best we ignore Starblazer1989's inflammatory rhetoric and get back to the topic of Frank Welker.

Honestly this thread was getting pretty decent dialogue beforehand. And this thread hasn't gotten a Staff warning yet

On topic of this thread, who's Hugo Weaving anyway? Everyone here seems to know who he is and think he'd make a perfect Megatron. Why is that?

3. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    He was Agent Smith from The Matrix movies, the head Elf dude from Lord Of The Rings, and the voice of "V" in V For Vendetta. He's obviously done a LOT more than that, but those seem to be his main standout roles for current movie audiences.

Good actor, good voice... but sorry, he's no Megatron. Could be great as another Decepticon, though.

4. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    *hyperventilates*

5. Shaun_C

Thanks, guess that's why I've never heard of him. I've never seen any of those movies you mentioned :p 

6. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    *Waits in anticipation*

Weaving would not be a bad choice as well, but I'm not sure how I would feel about his version considering I've only seen and heard him in the LOTR and in the Matrix movies (which IMO come off a bit too jaw-clenchingly stiff and authoritative at times).

But, I'll wait and see.

7. Hi Q

Hi Q I don't want a user title

News Credits:
    Hugo Weaving:
    1 of the transvestites, don't remember which one (Priscilla, queen of the desert)
    Agent Smith (the Matrix)
    Elrond (Lord of the Rings)
    V (V for Vendetta)

And likely much more, but that's what imdb.com is for, I wouldn't know off-hand.

Edit: Do I really type that slow?

8. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Hugo is one of these lovely bloke's / sheila's:

[​IMG]

9. Akumaxv

Akumaxv Well-Known Member

Good idea.

I see why some of you guys get sick of the anti-movie people.

I hate the designs and think Bay is a complete and utter DB, but Starblazer is taking it a little too far.

It's only a movie homie.

10. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    You're not missing anything by not seeing the Matrix movies (worst.franchise.ever), but I think the LOTR trilogy & V For Vendetta are worth seeing at least once. If for nothing else than to see what all the hype was about.

11. Shaun_C

Well honestly the LOTR books never interested me as I'm not a big Fantasy fan. And V for Vendetta, well honestly I have no reason for not seeing it other then simple lack of interest/indifference.

And I could've watched LOTR on CBC a few times, but I never bothered as there were other shows I prefered to watch :p 

12. airfox

airfox TF: Cybertronian Wars!

News Credits:
    The first Matrix is good. That's the one you should see ... the rest, not so much, though some of The Animatrix shorts are good.

The LOTR trilogy is a must see. Best trilogy ever. And this coming from a huge Vintage Star Wars fan. Just last weekend watched all three movies in their extended 4hours+ versions.... awesum!

V For Vendetta is a great movie ... though a tad below the level of Matrix and LOTR.

-airfox

13. hordeprime

hordeprime In Spite of the System

I'd rather watch the Matrix trilogy over LotR, IMO.

14. OperaSingerPrime

OperaSingerPrime SupremeOperaticCommander

...ha ha ha... I wonder if Hugo Weaving will use his drag queen voice from "Priscilla Queen of the Desert"???

15. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    ^^ You have an awesome username. :lol 

16. Denyer

Denyer Shooty Dog Thing

Didn't actually try very hard, did they? Killing most of the cast and replacing them with new characters and futuristic type alt-modes.

Whereas these days Hasbro are quite clued-up about releasing different versions of the same character, reusing the same basic characterisations/names ad infinitum, etc.

17. optimusprime42

optimusprime42 Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    my other pick woulda been michael wincott who played top dollar in the crow
    he has the rough voice

18. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

I mean they might as well sign him on. It would be nice to have both the classic voices in the movie.

19. HyperGeek_1984

HyperGeek_1984 Herr Doktor

I agree. While I do like LOTR, the Matrix movies always seemed to provide more of an intellectual side, as well as being more visually interesting.

And V for Vendetta is an excellent film all around. A little, how shall we say, lacking on subtlety when it came to its message, but still very powerful.

20. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    I think I'm still one of the only people (that I know of) who thought The Matrix was a horrible pile of steaming **** riddled with bad writing that a ******ed chimp could trump, every predictable cyber-themed cliche you can think of, a plot that could have been taken right from an 80's kids cartoon, and some of the worst acting ever caught on camera.

Between way gay computer related names like Neo, Morpheus, Mouse, Switch, "The One", The Oracle, etc., the constant wearing of "cool" sunglasses even in dark rooms, the overdone black shiney latex & leather to really get across that this is an "alternative" movie full of cyber geeks who apparently like Rob Zombie, Trinity who basically looked like an 40 year old she-male (sorry but that woman is anything but hot, even in rubber), Morpheus' armless stick-on nose sunglasses, the people farms, The Sentinals, the Sleeping Beauty kiss complete with sparks & explosions, Neo *flying* like Super-Man, and the constant cell phone product placement, I was shocked this movie ever made it to mainstream theaters, let alone got a cult following AND two sequels. No offence to anyone who DID enjoy the movie(s).

Then again, I also think Blade Runner is one of the most over-rated movies of all time *ducks for cover*, so obviously I'm missing something where cyber themed dystopian visions of the future are concerned. Meh.

Anyhoo... back on topic. Frank Welker almost confirmed... woot!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.