Frank Welker could voice Megatron in TF2!

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by silentdarth, Jun 26, 2008.

1. silentdarth

silentdarth Josie's Daddy

Ebay:
    Hear me out, and yes, this is total G1 fanboyism so please, let's remain civil. Megs is all busted up and been dropped in the ocea. Welkers gravelly voice would totally work for a resurrected Megatron. He's been through hell and is back "from the dead." So why couldn't it work? He did the voice for every other movie related thing.
    Like I said, please keep it civil.

2. 138 Scourge

138 Scourge WE R 138

Story-wise, sure it could work. I don't even think they'd need to provide a reason.

But, I really don't think they'd have gotten Hugo Weaving for the first movie to just deliver a handful of lines without being in the sequel.

3. Baird

Baird bug-stomper

I've seen this idea floated around on other boards, and I agree it is a good way to get Megatron's true voice into the film..

4. QuantumShock

QuantumShock Stay for brunch ?

News Credits:
    Hey why not ? But if they still stick with Hugo Weaving I am cool.

5. zeroXII

zeroXII metallicon

News Credits:
    Either voice actor will do for me.

6. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    The reason they didn't ask Frank Welker to voice Megatron in the first movie is that he didn't sound right for the part. His Megatron sounded good but was not quite what the powers that be were looking for. I cannot see them changing their opinion for the second Movie, although Frank Welker is Megatron in the games, and he sounds pretty much like the original Megatron there (although I had mixed feelings the first time I heard G1 Megatron's voice coming out of Movie Megatron)

7. darthrage

darthrage Leader Class

News Credits:
    I guess I don't mind but when they showed the special feature of a comparison of Hugo's voice and Frank's voice in the exact same scene, the Frank voice sounded kinda goofy. But it could just be my biased opinion because I thought Hugo's voice kicked so much ass

8. Tr4nce

Tr4nce TrancEaddict

News Credits:
    Believe me, when a voice like Soundwave's is vocoded so heavy, it doesn't really matter who is going to voice it. That is ofcourse, assuming that his voice will be similar to the old one, which I am hoping for ofcourse.

9. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    *facepalm*

ugh

10. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Welker's Megatron voice works for Generation 1 Megatron. Other Megatrons? Not so much. Just because its G1 doesn't mean it has to be done.

I always wondered why Welker made that remark in an interview (at Seibertron?) that they processed Weaving's voice so much that he was recognisable.

This seems to mean:

A. He believes Weaving was hired solely for "star power" rather than acting ability, despite the fact the movie never used Weaving's name for publicity (beyond the original casting news).
    B. He doesn't notice the fact that his own Transformers voices are heavily flanged and modified. Anybody remember the few times they forgot to do this to Megatron and Soundwave? They sounded like creepy old men.

11. omegagoalie

omegagoalie Cybertronian Puckstopper

Ebay:
    I think it'd be cool if Welker took over now. His Megatron would fit now as an "after death" kind of voice. He definitely wasn't right for the first movie as I agree that the G1 Megatron voice didn't match well with the movie Megatron. However it could work quite well now. But Hugo did a great job as Megatron so either way I'm cool with it :thumbs2:  Welker could at least do Soundwave. And yes, Soundwave MUST sound like the Soundwave we all know and love. It just has to be.

12. Red leader

Red leader Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Weaving was awesome, a snarling growling megatron was much more suited to the design of the movie megs.

13. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    See, that's just it. If you want Soundwave to sound the same (synthesized with that slight musical touch to it), you NEED that Dr. Claw voice and those sound effects done to it. Otherwise, it'll just be a synthesized and maybe hard to hear voice (like Cybertron and Animated, which were both close, but still off).

14. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    My opinion of who should or shouldn't do Megatron's voice remaining mum, I do have to correct you a little bit here. Bay made a point to mention (or admit) on the DVD how, pretty much from the start, he wanted Megatron to have Weaving-like mannerisms, expressions & diction. My impression of that statement as well as his numerous interviews stating that Welker "sounded too cartoony" is that he knew exactly who he wanted to provide the voice - Weaving - and that he only auditioned Welker for no other reason than to appease the fandom by confirming that he at least gave him a shot. I'm not saying that Welker should have gotten the part since none of us know how good or bad his audition actually was - I just think Bay knew from the get-go that he wasn't going to hire Welker at all, and that he would absolutely hand the role to Weaving if he was able to get him... which he ultimately did. The decision had nothing to do with "the powers that be" or "they" - it was clearly 100% Bay's call.

As much as I like the idea of Megs getting a voice in the sequel more akin to what we're used to, I don't see Bay changing his mind either. At best, he might throw us and Welker a bone by letting him reprise Soundwave, but I don't anticipate him taking the role away from Weaving.

Completely agreed.

15. ashion

ashion Well-Known Member

The way Megatron looked and behaved in the movie suited Hugo's voice work better than Franks.
    Its a case of voice fitting the body/look. For Megatron's movie design with him looking so out and out evil and threatening he needed a strong, thick and powerful voice, something which Frank is a little lacking with. Yes he was the original voice of Megatron, and his voice fitted that style and look, but not this Megatron.

16. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    Yeah, watching the movie and comparing Franks work on the game. Hugo fits the movie bill a lot better, and I personally think he did an awesome job. The movie isn't gonna be G1 ever as much as we would like it to.

17. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

I still think Weaving's voice is better suited for Movie Megatron.

18. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I really couldn't care less who does Megatron's voice, so long as he sounds cool.

19. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    I prefer Weaving's voice coming out of movie Megatron.

20. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    I agree that Welker might not have suited this version of Megatron, but I've never thought that Weaving did either. Even with some vocal FX thrown on, I still think Movie Megs sounds entirely too much like a normal guy just having a bad day as opposed to the ultimate evil he was made out to be. I think his voice could have benefitted a LOT by being much more heavily distorted & mechanical sounding, similar to what they did with Movie Starscream.