Frank Miller's The Spirit

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by jdre_124, Apr 19, 2008.

1. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    Well since no one has yet to make a thread on this awesome movie I figure I may as well.

Frank Miller in his solo directorial debut, will adapt Will Eisner's classic serial tale of a detective named Denny Colt who is killed, only to come back to life to fight the crime that killed him before as the Spirit. If you've ever seen Dick Tracy you have a basic idea of The Spirit's look. A few posters have been released with the newest poster revealed yesterday at NYCC on top and earlier posters behind.

Also later today the teaser trailer will be released!! So hopefully we can get a good glimpse at The Spirit himself in action(even though there are some nice leaked pics floating around).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Two stills from the film with Sam Jackson and Scarlett.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's a look at the upcoming action figure that gives a nice look at The Spirit.
    [​IMG]

The Spirit starring Gabriel Macht, Samuel Jackson, Eva Mendes, and Scarlett Johansson, hits theaters January 19, 2009

2. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

groovy!

3. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Love the classic splash page style of the top poster, but the other two are meh.

Can't help but be dubious thougth, The Spirit is arguably the best comic of its era and allot of that has to do with Eisner's visual style and storytelling. They should be able to transfer some of that to the screen since they are doing it Sin City and 300 style, althougth I hope it doesen't get Millerized on the way there.

4. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
  5. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I wanna love this, and I might.

But I always enjoyed Eisner's work for his style, and Miller's work for his. I woulda been happy if never the twain had met.

Plus, I'm kinda over Scarlet whashername. Honestly, she's just in entirely too many films.

6. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

For some reason this seams really off to me, but I know nothing about the Spirit. Does it look faithful to you guys?

7. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    Costume? Almost. In the comics he almost always wore blue. Also his Domino mask covered alot more and made him look like a blue panda.

Frank seems to put his own Sin City spin on it but so far I can't tell. Some leaked pics show the film has color while the teaser is only black and white with splashes of color similar to Sin City. At this point I can't tell.

8. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

I hope that this does end up more Eisner than Miller, just as wouldn't have wanted 300 or Sin City to have Eisner's stamp. I don't mind the black suit (again, some changes simply have to be made for credibility), but every frame of that trailer looks like it came from a Miller book. Maybe that's just to strengthen the connection with the very successful 300 and Sin City - The Spirit, after all - is barely known to modern audiences, and this could be done just to hook them. Maybe the style of the actual film will be more true to the source - I hope so.

9. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Thanks for pointing this out man, I wanted more info on this movie. Definitely going to check this out.

10. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  11. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:
    Gabriel Macht? The dude from Because I Said So? O_O ...That's different.

Anywho, I've never heard of The Spirit until they started talking about adapting the ancient comic into a movie alongside the Graphic Novel, The Watchmen. I like the way the trailer was presented (the beginning fooled me into thinking it was going to be one of those Cell-Shaded 3D Movies, akin that of Ubi-Soft's XIII or Killer Seven), reminded me a lot of Dick Tracy for some reason.

12. Mr.Roboto

Mr.Roboto YOU'RE A SHRUB ROCKETEER! Veteran

News Credits:
    Oh, so thats what they are. I've seen a few billboards around that say "My City Screams" but they look as if though someone had tagged them up there. Cool.

13. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

I found that kinda distracting from an otherwise pretty slick teaser. I hope it's just in the trailer to establish a noir feel and not in the movie itself. Too classic to just go dropping into other movies.

14. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

The part where he flips onto the rooftop bugs the heck out of me.

15. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    Miller should not be allowed to write movies. Guy should have been blacklisted after Robocop 2.

16. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

I love The Spirit, but I'm not really feeling the trailer. Something feels off to me.

17. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Robocop 2 was NOThing like his original script. They released it later in comic form. They basically had 2 or 3 other writers rewrite it and the final version had very little to do with the original. After they totally messed up 3, he quit writing for Hollywood. But then again all star batman stinks.

18. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    Sorry to awaken the zombies but a new Spirit trailer was released today.

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809838857/video/8831867/

Definetly intrested in the style, but I don't know WTF is up with the Octopuse's different looks every couple seconds. Or the gigantic 90s comic book style guns. Overall I am iffy.

19. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I am hoping that despite the promise of a decent flick that Miller could offer, that He doesn't butcher this film with too much of his own style or worse, the script was soo weak and they went with it anyway. (Robocop 3, anyone?)
    My dad gave me decent love and respect for old, almost forgotten characters that i am dying to see in film. But after the horrors of The Shadow (kewlness murdered) and The Phantom (jeez, that was a botched mercy killing) i just want our comic pioneers to be treated better.

My dad still wants a Doc Savage movie before he dies....

20. girafeswordsman

girafeswordsman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In the original comics, Octupus was a master of disguise but was never seen. Millar knew this wouldnt translate well, so he just makes him cahnge outfits all the time. This movie looks like its going to own.