Franchise that lasts 25+ years like Transformers and Joe

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Powersa, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    So I left my TV on Hub after the baseball game, Transformers G1 and Joe, while playing games on PC. Anyway, it got me thinking, most of us grew up with Star Wars, TF, and Joe, which successfully lasted some 25+ years and still going, but the kids today, the shows they're watching, will these really last? I mean 25 years later will Ben10 be there? Bakugan?

What do you think, what's something that your kids are watching now that might have a franchise celebration 25 years later, like TF, SW, and Joe? Maybe not?

2. cuad

cuad VOK EMISSARY

News Credits:
    Hannah montana.

3. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    gi joe has barely survived in the past 25 years, it has been off and on, really only transformers is the only franchise out of stuff like lego, barbie, and hot wheels that has had actual staying power (when i say barely survived gi joe has ben revamped several times to keep it around)

4. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    in her 40s...oh man

5. mac&cheese

mac&cheese Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I doubt it, I would say power rangers will be the one people think about later on way down the road. :wink: 

6. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    down the road? power rangers is having a HUGE nostalgia comeback right now with the 2010 MMPR stuff, heck power rangers is doing pretty well at the moment

7. Aberration

Aberration Templar Rodimus

News Credits:
    With Saban reacquiring the franchise, I'd say it has a chance of making it to 25 (a hell of a lot better chance than with Disney, for sure).

I'd say that Pokemon will probably make it to 25 as well.

8. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

And Transformers has been "revamped" several times as well.

Theres really not much of a difference between how both franchises survived.

9. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I terms of (almost) constantly having a product either on the screen or on the shelves then I don't think anything can or ever will beat Transformers.

A lot of things come and go, but Transformers has kinda been omni-present since it started, in one form or another.

I'm trying to think of another, but keep coming up with stuff like Star Wars, Star Trek, MOTU... They've all been away and come back at some point.

Certainly in the UK and parts of Europe, there has consistently been Transformers toys on the shelves without a break since 1985. Apart from Lego and the other franchises that Guard Convoy mentioned, TF has no equal!

10. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^This. Transformers took a break, and as sto vo kor said, has been revamped just as many times, if not more, than GI Joe

11. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Transformers have never really taken a break. New TFs have always been available somewhere each year since 1984.

12. Rigas

Rigas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Power Rangers most likely, and I get the feeling Ben 10 has some staying power, the show is good and the toys are pretty cool. They universe has potential to carry on if treated correctly.

mental note buy some Ben 10 and store them somewhere just in case.

13. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Star Trek, which is often branded as an all-ages show, turns 45 this year. Kids & adults alike have always been catered to with that franchise.

14. Rigas

Rigas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh yeah forgot about Star Trek. Enterprise was abysmal and killed but in 10 years im sure we will see a new tv show, and im sure the rebooted movies will get atleast a trilogy

15. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Power rangers and Pokemon are the only things right now that look to have 25 year + longevity.

These days once a show has begun to fall in the rating its toy line dies with it and it is gone for good, only established brands Like Transformers,G.I.Joe, Pokemon, Power rangers keep getting reinvented.

Most shows go the way of Thundercats, Visionaries and countless others and become nothing more than fond memories from someones childhood. ( and hard to find toys for collectors)

16. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    How are we counting going strong? TV shows on the air and a lot of products being produced. There are multiple franchises that techically are still putting out product but very limited. Often just a comic. Robotech has technically been active since 1985 but many years the only product was a comic book & now obscure items from Toynami.

Power Rangers hasn't really ever gone away since MMPR. It has always had some sort of toyline in regular stores and a related show on the air.

I could see PR getting a bigger collector community in the future as people who were kids during MMPR start recapturing their childhoods as we do in TF. We've already seen a 'classics' line for it with MMPR items being released last year. Soon, there will be people saying Trini was the best Yellow Ranger ever & noone will compare to her. Some fanboy of Lost Galaxy will coin the term. "EmmmEmmPeeARRRRR" because they people like the first show.

17. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ninja Turtles seems to also be a franchise that keeps coming back. Huge in the 80's & huge again in the 90's that ran through just a year or so ago. I could see it coming back. Isn't Nickalodian making a new show? If so, expect the Turtles back on shelve soon.

Of course Star Wars will probably never go away. It has been going strong since the relaunch in 1995 and doesn't seem to be slowing down. Helps that Lucas keeps SW in the public eye with shows & movie rereleases.

18. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    In Europe, Lego and Playmobil will easily be around in 25 years.

19. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    I don't know if Power Rangers is still on the air but I recall that coming out very early 90's. If the show is still around then 25 years will be hit easy.

Pokemon has been around since the mid 90's so they are pretty close to 25 as well.

Everything else seems like a flash in the pan. The only show I can see going for the long run is Ben 10.

Other propeties that have been going strong are Star Wars, Star Trek and some heroes like Spiderman and Batman.

Thanx
    Transbot90210

20. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

barbi dolls,pokemon, all having 25+year staying power.