Franchise beyond Bay

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by cnic, May 4, 2011.

1. cnic

cnic Decepticon

What do you think will happen a few years down the road with the franchise? Bay said he would leave it to where it would have to be rebooted.How do you think another director and possibly another CGI studio would handle the "takeover", so to speak.I mean,Bay brought these characters to life, and by that, I mean live action full length films.Maybe he didn't do the best he could considering the vast amount of history and characters to choose from but what would anyone else be able to do that Bay did not do? I'm not a die hard Bay fan but I appreciate what he did in terms of making the Transformers feel real but would anyone else be able to bring them to life without being a complete rip off of what Bay and co. did?

2. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I'm sure someone could do a better job.

3. Barricade24

Barricade24 Decepticop Artist

News Credits:
    Well I would at least like them to keep the original character designs that they had in the Bay's movies. Because frankly I don't want to start collecting a new area of bots all over again. If they just add on new bots that would be fine.

4. Suchus Prime

Suchus Prime Well-Known Member

Another live action would be stupid we already have this one. I would prefer a cartoon or animation movie for transformers after this.

5. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    We get new cartoons all the time. There's already been at least ten.

We'll continue to get new cartoons regardless of whether we get a new movie series or not.

6. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

Bingo.

The real question isn't "Could someone be good/better than Mr.Bay?" [of course someone else can, the world has a shitload of directors], the REAL question is: "Could they HIRE someone better/good as Bay?", here, follow my lead:

Hypthethycal scenario:

Bay leaves, but Hasbro decides do to more movies: who do you think Hasbro would hire to direct a new TF live-action movie?

Tip number one: I highly doubt any prolific/famous director [like J.J. Abrams, Guillermo Del Toro, Christopher Nolan and those Big bosses of Hollywood] is going to leave their throne of cricically acclaimed movies to direct a movie from a franchise about toys and giant freaking robots, they have much better things to do [also, they're expensive and need too much creative control to create the story], so defitenly you're not going to see big names here.

Tip number two: Hasbro likes money [well, duh!], and they picked Bay for EXACTLY that reason: He's a money-maker, blockbusters to attract the masses and make the money rain for Hasbro.
    Seeing as Bay's movies have been productive, it's likely that Hasbro would pick another "money-maker" to direct the movie [trying to follow Bay's steps], like Stephen "The Mummy/VAN HELSING" Sommers [Sommers is basically a Michal Bay without talent], so don't expect much quality in direction from now on.

And now remember one last thing: We were actually pretty lucky to have Michal Bay as a director, he tried to remain faifhtul [the origina draft had Mute Transformers who have less important roles, Bay was obviously against it], but would other "money-maker" director try to remain faithful? We don't know, he could be a GEEWUNNER, he could be a GoBots fan, we don't know, it's an absolute shot in the dark.

Also, how many really GOOD Blockbuster directors are out there? Not many, I take it.
    The only Blockbuster Director who I think that can do a great TF movie is Gore Verbinsky [Pirates of the Caribbean franchise, defitenly blockbusters], but I don't know if he would try to remain faithtul or not.

So really, it's better to end things in DOTM than having a new film with Stephen Sommers on the helm.

7. cnic

cnic Decepticon

I'd like to see Bay take a few years off then pick it up with some new characters to be honest. Like insert Rodimus for Optimus and start a new storyline with never seen before charaters in the movieverse.Like I said in the opening post,there's so much history to draw on the movies could continue without a total reboot.Look how long Lucas waited to do Episodes 1-3.

8. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This doesn't really affect the "general audience", but Bay seems to make the most use of the TFs as vehicles for spectacular action, fairly enough. At the same time, he seems entirely disinterested in the franchise itself- do you notice in interviews, the only robot characters he ever talks about are ones that originate in the movies (Twins/Brains/etc.)? I'm not saying Bay does not give a shit at all, but any non-action or non-comedy scenes we get with the robots are more due to the writer, as that's something Bay is clearly less interested in than making explosions or jokes. I'm not saying any future TF directors have to be die-hard fans coming in, but it would be nice, in a new take down the road, to have someone who understands the potential of the robots beyond action.

9. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Sorry, but thinking about the franchise after Bay bows out is not even worth thinking about at this point.

We have no idea what characters HSBRO will make for the line.
    We have no idea if IDW desires to make any post movie comics.
    We have no idea how DOTM even ends.

Lets just get thru the summer before approaching this topic- again.

10. Overlord Balder

Fun fact: The Original draft had Transformers as mute giant beings, Bay was against that, too much direspectful towards the fans.

What a twist, huh?

11. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I specifically remember reading that Orci and Kurtzman were against that. You do know the script for the first film was very far along before Bay was brought on board, right?

12. cnic

cnic Decepticon

So we can speculate on EVERYTHING about the movies except the future of the franchise then?

13. Overlord Balder

Yep.

Now go watch some Baysplosions.

14. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    You don't think it's pointless?

15. Number1sikko

Number1sikko Autobot

News Credits:
    Honestly, I think Bay did a great job with the look and feel of the Transformers themselves. I would love to see him come back at the helm of possibly another trilogy(like lucas with starwars) but with a better writer handling the mythology & characterization.

DOTM could prove that Kruger is a better writer then I take him to be but we wont know for sure until release day. If DOTM turns out to be more of the same(TF1 & TF2) in terms of characterization and actual robot screen time then maybe Bay isn't the problem but the writing is. Kruger did work on ROTF and look how that turned out. If thats the case, I say Bay should take some good solid time away from Transformers and then come back with a writer who knows what these movies should have been.

16. Number1sikko

Number1sikko Autobot

News Credits:
    This^

17. Overlord Balder

Actually, ROTF's problems were related to the Writers' Strike [that damn strike fucked up almost EVERYTHING in media, even X-Men Origins Wolverine was affected! DAMN THOSE WRITERS!], Bay barely had a script to work with.

Also, you don't like TF1 in terms of characterization? SERIOUSLY? But...why?

18. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

You can have the best writer, great actors, and a top notch production team and still end up with a bad film if the director doesn't do his or her job just right. The script might be good but it's the director who takes it from words on a page or the story board to a translation on film. I think we'd have to look at Kruger's track record as a writer and Bay's as a director.

Somehow I don't see Micheal Bay being a George Lucas. I think if Bay is really telling us the truth that this is his last Transformers film then I don't see him coming back. I just don't see him wanting to be saddled to Transformers when there are so many other films out there to take on and to try new things.

19. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    For me, it all depends on how DOTM ends and what the quality of the movie is. But finding a director shouldn't be that hard. It can be taken seriously now, which should help in finding a good new director.

Yes, damn the writers for not wanting to be screwed over by the studios and have a decent pay. :sly2: 

I liked the first movie, but it DID have a problem with characterizations. Optimus wasn't willing to do anything, Jazz was a stereotypical gangstah rapper, the balance between serious and comedic behavior was messed up, and out of the Decepticons only Frenzy and Megatron had some characterization (in the movie itself).

20. Overlord Balder

Justified strike or not, they still screwed up awesome movies, this is UNFORIGIVABLE.

I mean, I know it's a necessary evil, but you got to admit that almost ruining the whole live-action branch of Transformers was a really freaking monstreous colletarel damage for this Strike.

I liked Optimus' behavior in the first movie, the unshakeable leader that is always filled with hope no matter how dark things are, I can't see your point here.

On Jazz, well, I thought he was more akin to the "immature dumbass" of the group [as you can see, he is the less-matured of the 'Bots], that's normal, every Autobot Team in the history of Transformers had one of these [though 'Bee filled this role in G1, if I'm not mistaken].

I don't think the balance between humor and serious atitude was messed up either, it needs to have both.

On the Decepticon, yeah, pretty much, but I think they all had some [even if small] characterization [then again, maybe I'm just inflicint pattern into chaos]: Barricade is shown to be a violent and cunning thug, a "Shit just got real" type of guy, Blackout as a cold, scheming right-hand-man to the Decepticon Uprising, Bonecrusher as a mindless animal who breaks everything in his path etcetera.

And you have to remember that this CGI is expensive as the damn hell [also that the can't be long enough to show ALL these characters well], so it's really freaking hard to show all 'Bots and 'Cons with deep characterization AND cool fights.

But the second one really screwed up on all these points, I admit.