Framing Art Attempt

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by artoni, Mar 20, 2009.

1. artoni

artoni Fangirl

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Apologies if this is in the wrong forum! General discussion, didn't fit in with anything else, ANYWAY.

So I collect TF-related art, and recently ordered an inked Doubledealer page off Unrealbooks. It came in the mail today and I was all YAAAAAAAAY up until the point where I realized like, so many of my other art pieces, I have no way to really display it. Cue sad Mindy, up until she remembered that a friend had given her some advice when she had posted this dilemma on her LJ: Make Your Own Frame/Mat!

The page came with two pieces of...particle board, I think it's called. I dunno. Either way, it's lightweight, it's sturdy, and it was the perfect test material. Since it was sized close enough to the page, I decided that I could try working with it - and my material to use as the frame? This crapton of polystyrene sheeting I ordered for my cosplay but have stalled on using in lieu of technical difficulties.

The result is...crude, but I think it works!

[​IMG]

It's currently on my computer hutch, behind my monitors, held up by scotch double-sided thick tape I dunno what it's called but in lieu of me not having one of those picture-frame-adapters-with-nails it works, I think! I'm pleased enough by the way it turned out to try out one of my other art pieces - a commission by the Awesome Alex Milne.

Anyway, felt like sharing. :) 

Attached Files:

2. joshua

joshua Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Looks awsome! Standard matte is two inches around. Go buy some matte board at an art store, preferably black. It'll look great!

3. The Crazy Collector

The Crazy Collector Well, that's just Prime!

Ebay:
    Looks good! If you really want to preserve your stuff, I would recommend acid free, archivial quality material though. Otherwise you risk damaging your piece.

What'd you have done by Alex?

4. artoni

artoni Fangirl

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For the mat or backing?

He did a commission for me @ BotCon 08 of Vector Prime & The Fallen.

5. The Crazy Collector

Ebay:
    Really, for everything. Any frame shop should be able to help you out, but Wal-Mart usually has reasonable matting materials in their crafts department. To be honest, any damage caused by not using archivial quality is likely to be minimal, but when I invest in a piece of art like this, I want it to last! Mostly you have to look out for the glues used in your mounting materials.

Your commission sounds sweet! Post a pic?

6. artoni

artoni Fangirl

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]

Quite a bit trickier, as Alex did art all the way to the edges - and the fact that it's been kept in a tube for protection for quite a bit. But I don't think it ended up too bad...I may end up cutting a bit more around the side edges, if I can manage it without the paper curling, I think.

Attached Files:

7. The Crazy Collector

Ebay:
    There is a method of mounting a picture to a backing using clear mounting corners. The trick for your second piece (which looks really nice, btw!) would be getting it to lay flat after being rolled up for so long. The paper may want to pull out of the mounting corners. You can try ironing the paper (yes, with an iron, just like you would your clothes) on a low heat with NO MOISTURE to get it to lay flat. You'd have to get a piece of backing an inch or two wider on all four sides than the piece you want to mat. The mounting corners you can get at any craft store, including Wal-Mart. Just get the acid free archivial quality to protect your artwork. Mount the corners onto the backing board, stick your piece in, and there you go!

8. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    For any print you realy like and want to keep I suggest you go to a framing shop. It may cost a bit (depending which frame and such you choose) but you will end up with a nice display you can be proud of.

9. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

i want

10. ultraconvoy

ultraconvoy Banned

News Credits:
    i just got this in and i plan to have it frame. how much Im looking at ? 100 bucks to frame this?
    [​IMG]

11. The Crazy Collector

Ebay:
    LOL! UC, I should have known you'd be the one to get that! As far as cost, if you just get it matted, probably not that much, but if you get it professionally framed and matted, then yeah, probably around $100.