FPS Suggestions

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Metal Soldier, Mar 19, 2007.

1. Metal Soldier

Metal Soldier The Robot

Since I built my new system a few months ago I've been wanting to play some FPS games but I've been out of the PC world for so long I don't know what's good and what's not. I really want something that is fun for single player but also has a solid and fast multi-player. I don't know if any qualify, but the best description I can think of is somewhere between Halo 2 and Unreal Tournament 200X. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

2. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

my neighbour bangs on about F.E.A.R. supposed to be quite good.

3. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Half Life 2 is an ESSENTIAL.

4. QuantumShock

QuantumShock Stay for brunch ?

News Credits:
    Painkiller is the rough gem, if you like serious Sam+gothic thingamajic.

5. Skywarp_TPK

Skywarp_TPK Harbringer of the MegaDub

F.E.A.R. is really good, Doom 3 and Quake 4 are also great choices.

6. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

Counterstrike 1.6 = Teh 1337

7. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

FEAR and HL2.

In terms of coming soon, Enemy Wars Quake Territory would seemingly be right up your alley. The free preview is available at PC Gamer. http://www.pcgamer.com/

8. Streck

Streck <B><FONT COLOR="#FF0000">QED</B></FONT> Veteran

For fun single-player, I recommend Deus Ex and System Shock 2, although they may best be described as a hybrid of FPS and other genres. SS2 will take some tweaking to work on XP, but it's well worth it.

9. polymorphic

polymorphic Bumblebee tuna!

Serious Sam 2: Excellent shooter, great graphics, fast, frantic, constant killing. Little to no story.

F.E.A.R.: Great graphics, good story, excellent gameplay until half way through, at which point it gets very, very repetitive and boring.

Half-Life 2: Exemplary graphics, compelling gameplay, need I say incredible story as well as back story, fun and exciting from beginning to end.

Painkiller: Serious Sam 2 with a different, slightly deeper (not much, tho) story, same type graphics, frantic, fast paced shooter with decent puzzles to boot.

Doom 3: Very good graphics, decent and spooky, sometimes very frightening although slightly boring gameplay, retelling of the original Doom games. Good but disappointing.

Quake 4: Same engine and graphics as Doom 3, very boring, very disappointing.

10. b_ack51

b_ack51 I'm on the interweb!

I had lots of fun with battlefield 2, way better than Counterstrike/half life 2.

But I did have fun with Counterstrike also, just not as much as BF2. BF2 sucks due to all the bugs it has.

11. peeman

peeman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i had fun with quake 4 on the 360, i think its the same game

12. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

For a single player experience, I can't believe nobody in this thread has said Far Cry yet.

13. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

Aliens vs Predator 2. It's a bit old, but it's simply one amazing game. You might not be able to play very many games online, but offline is good enough.

14. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

I will throw my vote in for Half Life 2 (get a package that has Half Life 2, HL2 Deathmatch - which is super fun flinging toilets at everyone, and Counter Strike Source).

I really enjoy the Battlefield series of games. Theyre strictly multiplayer though. BF 1942 is my favorite, BF Vietnam isn't so great. BF2 is fun sometimes and just horrific other times (air power can just rape the whole game some times) and is still kind of buggy. BF 2142 was pretty neat from what I played. I still don't agree with their license aggreement, it gives them full access to any internet related settings/records on your machine even if they say thats not what they're doing, they still have the right to do so since the wording is so open and you have to agree to it to install the game.

15. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I used to go througth almost all new FPS games, but I gave up about 6 months ago after a particularly unenjoyable run of titles.

Far Cry bored me to tears, no amount of novelty AI or faux non-linearity could keep me distracted from the painfully uninteresting and repetitive environments or a plot that was the new dictionary definition of Hackneyed.

Ditto on most of the same points for FEAR, trying to scare me with cliche psycological horror while running througth office buildings and delapidated warehouses doesen't satisfy my urge for murderisation.

Hated Doom 3, althougth thats more to do with the fact that it plays nothing like originals rather then the game itself. I didn't enjoy Quake 4 much either since it was more or less a fancier version of Quake 2.

Never got round to HL2 or Prey, but I might do so soon since they are probably in the bargin bins by now.

I did enjoy Call of Duty 2 and Pacific Assault thougth. For some reason I never seem to get bored of WW2 FPS games, probably because they usually consist of strait foward carnage in a decent variety of locations.

16. Gigatron_2005

Zahwah!! Somebody didn't like Far Cry?! I have no idea how you could not love the environments. The AI was pretty damn good (for its time, there is better AI nowadays). And I take it that you didnt explore all too much. Yeah, the game is linear, but there are different ways to do things in the game. My first play through was nothing like my second.

And yeah, the story is like an overused B action/scifi/horror movie plot, but that just adds to the awesomeness IMO.

17. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

I hated Far Cry too. It was just a mess and having to optimize my system each new level wasn't very fun either.Also the patch they had to recall because it jacked up ATI systems was just brilliant (which unfortunatley I stuck with ATI until I just gave up on pc gaming for the most part). The AI was cheap too, considering I could be on one of the small islands, hidden under a lot of overgrowth, sniping people and magically everyone knew where I was. As far as it taking cover that was almost new back then but still wasn't anything special

Prey is an ok game. Its nothing compared to todays games but its a nice old school shooter and multiplayer can be fun. I wouldn't go out of your way to play it.

18. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

RabidYak was pretty 100% on the money with his assessment of Far Cry.

I felt similar with Quake 4. Pretty to luck at. Nothing innovative. Simple, straight forward and fun...maybe more along the lines of old school? Basically Q4 was a graphically updated sequel to Q2.

19. Gigatron_2005

Wow. I had no idea so many people didn't like that game. Well, in its defense, let me just say that Far Cry was one of the best single player experiences Ive had in years with a FPS.

Also, past that Half Life 2 is really good. I enjoyed FEAR for what it was. And while not a shooter (unless you count the bow and some magic powers) Oblivion is a fun first person action RPG.

20. Spartan-117

Spartan-117 Well-Known Member

I got Farcry and got bored really quick.