FP Superion Kit - Why so expensive?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by cjranck, Aug 17, 2010.

1. cjranck

cjranck Well-Known Member

I will admit that I am fairly new to TF collecting, and I have ordered the recent FP crossfire sets for Bruticus, but when I look at those compared to the Superion add on sets, there is no comparison. The Bruticus ones are ACTUAL transformers (albeit 3rd party) that contain connector pieces, while the Superion set only comes with a few accessories, no new head, and no replacement appendages (no new bots). So for you veteran collectors out there, why is this so expensive ($125+ on most sites)? Please share your opinions/facts. Thanks!

2. Miggytron

Miggytron Slag Sucking Saurian

Supply and demand. It's sold out so that's why it's that expensive.

3. zealottoyou

zealottoyou Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    125 is marked up by the site you are looking at.

4. juise

juise TFW2005 Token Negro

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah you missed the boat on these. There are a few reasons for the cost of this set.

1) At this point they are sold out, and you're paying post retail prices now.

2) Fans Project was younger company then. This was their second release if memory serves, so most cost in general havent been dialed in yet (and probably still arent).

3) If what I read on the internet (AKA this forum) is to be believed. They did not design this set. So there was some licensing cost involved in producing this set.

5. motorhead9999

motorhead9999 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah. I think when the set was originally released, it retailed for what, $45US? Which wasn't bad. Cheapest I've found it online for was 125 new, and i think i paid 100 used for mine. Just wait until Munitioner and Explorer sell out. If you think Superion was bad aftermarket, just wait till those 2 start climbing after inventory is gone.

With that having been said. anyone looking to sell their Snowman Superion edition? What is the aftermarket price going for that set? I haven't seen one on ebay for a while. Also, what are the typical production run numbers for these figures?

6. Miggytron

Miggytron Slag Sucking Saurian

The Snowman version is especially expensive because it was exclusive to TF source. They started jacking up the price as they started to run out of supply on those and I think the last couple ones they had, they sold for $100.

7. cjranck

cjranck Well-Known Member

Thanks for the clarification guys, much appreciated.

8. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You'll find trying to predict where the prices are headed kinda tough: Buy now and risk a sale, or hold out for later and find the item you want is no longer in stock/outrageously expensive on the secondary market?

I initially balked at paying the extra $5 for the TFSource exclusive Snowman kit ($49.99), but they ran out of the original so I bit the bullet. Lucky me, within a month of purchase the Snowman's price skyrocketed.

9. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Scalping.

10. fabexmax

fabexmax Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was wondering, for the people who bought he snowman, as I have the original, can't someone just spray paint the grey set white?

11. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Some corrections.

2) This was there 4th or 5th product. Cliffjumper Upgrade, City Commander, Shadow Commander, Alt Prime Matrix and Blaster came out before this. I can't remember the release date for this Superion Upgrade, but the TFCon Powered Commander might of come out before it as well.

3) The designer is different from the guy who did City Commander (FP's main genius). But the upgrade kit was a joint venture. I think the designer just presented the actual designs, and FP did the rest, or both parties worked on it equally. But I do know no licensing was paid, as this project was intended for FP.

12. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I saw a Snowman version in the junkion for sale recently. The guy wanted $300 for it!!! To make it worse, he openly admitted that he only paid $200 for it a few months back!

I don't want to name names, but that was ridiculous.

13. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    Also remember the set is very desirable. It turns a lacklustre (at best) set into something well worth having.

14. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    supply and demand, they are sold out, and they did say at tfcon last year that it was a very limited run because they weren't sure if it would sell or not,

i got mine when they first came out, and am happy with that, but $100-$300 for a set now? ouch. same thing will happen with the bruticus sets as well, just like all their other ones, still wish i had known about them when the cliffjumper set came out as it's the only one i'm missing

15. bulletthebluesky

bulletthebluesky Mmmm... Beer

I've got a first run City Commander that would disagree with the bolded part of that statement. :dunce 

I've been trying to get rid of it for just a little more than I paid brand new, but it's hard when they've re-released the thing a couple of times with more stuff, and cheaper than I paid for the original.

Obviously that's not what happened with the aerial appendage kit, because they haven't re-released that one.

16. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ive got a shadow commander that disagrees even more :D 

but i think that its a year old now, and its out of stock everywhere so thats why its marked up
    i actually cancelled my preorder for it once, then got it for the same $45 in november or so, im glad i did manage to get my hands on it

17. MyTea Boc

MyTea Boc Beardy Boyo!

Ebay:
    I got mine for a pretty decent price last year when it first came out. Can't believe the prices now.

I think the ultimate example of the price increasing is the cliffjumper kit. I saw one on ebay a while back that was going for over $350.

18. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

This is an awesome set to boot. I got it from TF Source last year with the G3 trailer. Love this set. I'm just dying waiting for the Bruticus set to come out.

19. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow, I did not know the prices of those sets are now that high. But as others have pointed out, supply and demand. I would guess that part of the demand comes from people loving the Bruticus set. Meaning, people who may not have like the Superion set before now wants one to go with the Bruticus set that they love and will buy (or preordered).

20. Chaddicus

Chaddicus Don't call me Shirley

Man I got lucky. I got an Aerialbot set with the grey upgrade set for 80 bones on here last December.