Customs: FP Ruination Maximus?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Quickwing, Oct 18, 2010.

?

You as crazy as I am?

1. Yeah, I'm crazy enough to do something like that!

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. Sure, I'd like to see that, but I wouldn't do it myself.

9 vote(s)
    69.2%
  3. Kinda, I think the set might look cool repainted, but not in those colors.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No, that's crazy, and anyone who agrees with you is insane!

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. Quickwing

Quickwing Devasia Mentality

YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I must say the idea has been stuck in my head ever since I first saw the Fansproject Crossfire upgrade duo that there might be some way to display all that in different colors as one of the many other repaints the original Bruticus had over the years. The one that sticks in my head most prominently though would be Ruination. Not just because he was a mega disappointment for the rid line, being that he was little more than a redeco of g1 brickicus, but because he stands out to me as one of the more realistic color schemes for a team of combat vehicles. Not that I don't like the mildly flamboyant colors of the original combaticons, but a brown and purple space shuttle and a jeep with a purple hood stand out a teeny bit much.

Rambling aside, I was wondering if there was anyone else out there with enough crazy in them to even begin thinking of repainting themselves a custom RID Ruination/CR Baldigus from the combined Fansproject upgrade set?

While I'm mentioning it, I'd like to point out the idea mainly had potential to me under the conditions that I could form a Land mode combination style with the set, but my experimentation in attempting that formation with the Xfire set led to the unstable mess present below.

Attached Files:

2. Quickwing

YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Bumping this topic up after some eons, and pointing out how stupid things are stupid. Check it out below and tell me that aint rite man.

Attached Files:

3. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's a really nice alternate mode, it looks like you got all the limbs the correct proportions. How stable is it?

4. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Hell, I like the idea of a Ruination Maximus. Bring it on, I says. And while that Land Mode you came up with may not look quite as good as the intended layout, it still works pretty darned well. I'm particularly impressed with the arm mode you came up with for Brawl.

Just to point something out re the G1 colourschemes; the ridiculosity you referred to only occurred in the cartoon; the toys were far more sensible. Blast Off is a straight military green, and Swindle is a golden brown.

For the record, I would probably be crazy enough to do something like this, but I don't have, or intend to get, the Crossfire set anyway.

5. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

i love the idea of a rid fansproject enhanced ruination maximus

did you know that if you use helicoptor limb reverb, tank limb gunbarrol energon barricade

you got 3 of the 5 members to battle gaia?

energon barricade=greatcannon

energon /rotf/classics reverb =targethawk
    and enegon/rotf/classics gunbarrol=sandstorm

add in the fansproject bruticus add on sets minus munitioner and explorer
    and use warcry and flameblast in place of explorer and munitioner and that gives you

flameblast=shuttlegunner

warcry=leyland

a bit of custom painting here and there so the add on parts have the right colorschems and you got yourself a clsassics style battlegaia

6. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

have you considered using a set of plug in pegs to make it so that the add on trailer exstension feet can plug into place onthe sides ofthe backpack to use them asa jetpack?

if you use the shoulder exstension cobminer ports for the helicoptor and shuttle they can make for a good set of kneejoints combiner ports for the legs

it takesa bit of inventinve fiddling but blastoff can make for a good lower leg limb and foot by himself if you set him up through the legs liek he is kneeling in robot mode

as for the helicoptor limb i woudl suggest using him asa lower leg with his original energon weaponry attached for the foot

7. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

To be honest, I'm not sure how much using Flameblast and Warcry instead of Munitioner and Explorer would help. From the pics, it does look like Flameblast may have a white alt-mode, but he's also got the remoulded head based on Fireshot. Similarly, Warcry would need a complete repaint (contrary to popular belief, he's brown, not red), and also has the remoulded Growl head. Plus they've also got modifications (we don't know yet whether they're reversible or not) that neuter their connection points.

8. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

nothing a bit of selective partswapping and custom painting could not fixi am sure

9. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Painting, definitely. But as I said, particularly in the case of Warcry, it would require a complete repaint anyway, as well as partswapping, so it'd be much more sensible to just repaint Munitioner and Explorer in the first place. Let's face it, buying all of them to combine parts would be a damned expensive kitbash.

10. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I would like to see it!

11. Quickwing

YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    As it was when I took this picture it was pretty scary to get it to stand up strait. I've tried fiddling with it a bit since to see if I can make it work better, but nothing conclusive.
    Uh... not sure where you're getting that Blast Off's toy is military green, unless the lighting in those pics confused you. Cuz every other pic I've seen of the original toy is brown. That aside I tend to identify more with animation models than I do with toys, so that's just where I come from.
    Assuming one has the rare unreleased tank and copter repaints from the movie line... SURE!
    Uh, not quite sure I understand what all you're meaning, but right now all the old energon weapons that came with the ROTF set are tucked away somewhere that would be too much of a hassle to get out right now.

Ultimately though the default layout creates a problem anyway, for those who didn't look at my second post
    [​IMG]
    The flaps that hold the shoulder onto the helicopter mold are too tight, and as such are prone to stress and ultimately breakage. I'm sure customizers will have little problems dealing with such a problem, but the fact that the set can break on it's own without mods is a big deterrent for me.

12. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Admittedly, I'm slightly colourblind, so it is possible I've been misguided all these years, but I'm not relying on photos, either; I actually have the toy.

13. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

hey quickwing have you considered taping the flap pins out of each shoulder estension missile pod and simply swap the damaged flap for a undamged one from blastoffs/explorers shoulder pod?

other then that and having to do a slight resize job on the stud on each side of the helicptor limbs body it should be possiuble to effectively replace the damaged shoulder flap for one of f the other shoulder pod since munitioner/blastoff does not even need the flaps on his shoulder exstension pod to combine with it in arm mode

14. Quickwing

YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I've been told to do all that before, and I'll give you the same response I gave the other person(s) who suggested this:

PINS ARE MY NEMESIS

I've never met a pin that agreed with me. Breaking things just to get them out, going back in at a self destructive angle, falling into oblivion, STABBING me! No, I've dealt with the problem in another way.

15. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

to be honest i have found it to be very simple and easy to just use the writing tip of a ink pin

it has to be the kind of ink pin where the writing tip cannot retract into the pin at all

just set the tip of the ink pin against the cylinder tube holding the flap piece into place on the missile pod shoulder exstension and give a small solid push

the pins come out real easy like that

that is whati had to do to swap out the flap parts on the shoulder pods to my bruticus set