FP is over rated, there I said it...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alucard77, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Let me start out by saying that I do like Fans Project. So let's eliminate that right there. However, Fans Project is severely over rated.

It seems that whatever they release or whatever is rumored to be released by them automatically starts off the insanity. If we look at the Maketoys items, people were going to get those right off the bat, just because they were rumored to be FP. Not only that, but every single G2 Laser Optimus sold out on the internet. Come on now.

Here is a quick review of the stuff they did:
    - CJ Head and Guns: Pretty nice, nothing major, and the head is not perfect either. Price tag on it now is ridiculous!
    - Superion: Highly over rated. This has been discussed before, so not getting into it here, but many people would like a new mold of him
    - City Commander: It's pretty nice. I mean, he is cool in his own way, but he is a IDW or Manga interpretation. I prefer a more updated G1 look for him. If something better came along, he would easily be replaced in my collection. The price for him is beyond ridiculous. We are just desperate as we have no other representation.
    - Bruticus: They blew this one out of the water. However, yet again, he is a Manga interpretation. He fits in better with Gundam then he fits in with classics. He is cool as hell, but not a classics representation.
    - Protector: One of the most over rated things I have ever seen from them. I don't see the resemblance to Rodimus at all. Also, the Scythe is cooler looking then him (but nowhere worth that money!)
    - Insecticons: Blew these out of the water. These will actually work pretty well as classics in my opinion.

So before people go attacking me on being crazy, I will say that they are a great 3rd party company, but they are over rated. It is like in Baseball when people debate Derrek Jeter. They say he is a great player and severely overrated. You can be both in my opinion.

2. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

FansProject is really really really really really really really really really good (but not great).

3. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    skipped Defender

4. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They've gotten where they are due to reputation. Everything produced by them so far has been of good quality and has shown great ingenuity in design, so it goes to reason that any new project announced by them will be followed with keen interest.

They're not overrated. They've made a name for themselves, and they constantly meet (and maybe exceed) the expectations their fans have made of them.

It's just like Blizzard, with PC games, or Pixar, with CG movies. They've produced nothing but hits, so of course the fandom buzz around them is going to be huge.

5. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

But seriously, you're not the first person to express this sentiment. And you're certainly not going to be the last.

6. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Defender is pretty nice I think. Definitely can use him as a classics. He won't be replaced any time soon. I do have to give them props on him being a triple changer.

7. blurr69

blurr69 First time caller

Ebay:
    I wouldnt say over rated.. If I had to rate them, personally, I would give them high marks. Engineering, creativity, production for fair consumption.. All high marks.

I think you mean over hyped. What isnt ? Ppl go nuts for way worse, if you ask me >.>

8. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This.

9. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Yeah, I guess over hyped. I just don't think everything they will ever release will sell so great. I don't understand the protector sales at all. I mean I have no idea what he is supposed to be.

I bought one to hold onto and trade in the future. I cannot ever picture using the upgrade.

10. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    G2 prime "sold out" because the armor looks great. Also, online-store wise its sold out. There are plenty of BST threads with them here. I saw at least 10 threads in BST today to sell G2 prime at about 10-15 bucks.

I suppose you can have your view about FP's stuff is overrated, but to me, they fit very well into classics. I don't consider Classics "Geewun update", but I consider them as Neo-G1. A fresh take while retaining the charaterization.

I always buy FP stuff, but its not because they are overhyped by the fans, but because my personal experience with their stuff is that

1. its high quality
    2. its the style that I PERSONALLY like

So I mean, yeah, its not for everyone.

11. PredaconElder

PredaconElder Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would say the same for Hasbro. Overrated.

12. Alucard77

News Credits:
    I wonder if Lazer Prime would have sold out if it was announced that a new company named Maketoys made him.

I willing to bet no.

13. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    just remembered, Maketoys is doing the trailer, not FP. I think.

14. blurr69

blurr69 First time caller

Ebay:
    That reminds me of a canadian kid singer everyone/thier mother hypes = )

15. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I disagree. Here's why:

This only speaks to how FP is seriously NOT overrated.

First product of FPs, very limited run, supply and demand. Not the best, but still great in separating CJ from BB.

FP took a POS Hasbro Energon Combiner and made it worthwhile; people wanted to buy the Superion figures as well as the add on. Not over rated at all.

Desperate? Hardly. If you want a G1 look go and get the G1 figure. This is a Classics Update.

Seriously?

Different tastes I suppose because I see plenty of Rodimus in this upgrade set. Again, FP took a decent figure and made people WANT it.

Agreed.

I don't see how FansProject can be considered overrated. They put out product that the majority of fans want - hence, Fans Project. They more often than not take decent Hasbro figures and create excellent figures out of them. The price increases FP creates on Hasbro's figures speak for itself really. And their stand alone figures are in a field of their own: quality is excellent, poseability is untouched, and prices are reasonable for such small runs. Differing of opinions you know, I respect what you're saying, but disagree completely.

16. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    I think you mean "manga" not "magna." :p 

Also, I see you mention the price of things being crazy and then I see your join date. I don't know if there is a direct correlation between the two, but something like City Commander is almost three years old (released Sept. 08). Fans were begging for some type of UM upgrade since the Classics release in 2006. FP stood up and delivered and they ingratiated themselves into the collecting community because they delivered solidly built and reasonably priced product (inital release price was $76.99). It's not their fault it's commanding insane aftermarket prices, that falls squarely on us fans who are crazy enough to pay those aftermarket prices. Even with a reissue, multiple recolors, and KOs, and almost 36 since it's release it remains hot.

Whether or not FP is over-rated, which I don't think they are, you can't argue with the fact that they have tried to provide fans with what they want, upgrades, new figures, add-ons, etc. They've earned the right for the praise they receive (and lest we forget they have had their speed bumps along the way, see the whole DIA fiasco) so when most of us get excited about a new FP release, it's completely warranted. And, will continue to be until they release an absolute bomb of a product.

17. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Well, I consider it over rated when items are bought just on rumor and speculation. I think we need to judge it for what it is at release. They make a good product, no doubt, but I would not pay $450 for City Commander, and I could say some figures look like crap.

We should do a test rumor and see how many people go insane. FP is releasing a MP sized Soundwave. I bet you will have people say, bought, sight unseen.

18. Stryker055

Stryker055 Josh Boyfriend

I actually think Protector from the waist up looks horrible. Like City Commander's look, but hate Warbot Defender's. Crossfire Bruticus looks amazing, as do the Insecticons.

Wait, how the heck does Bruticus look like a Gundam?!

19. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Thanks for saving me the typing.

They've earned their reputation, and it's deserved.

Obviously they can't control what the secondary market does with their products or official products related to theirs, so I don't think you can use that against them in an argument. Their initial price points are very fair compared to others in the 3rd party market, and to me, fair for what it would cost to do a production run of a custom figure.

IMO, being overrated is promising on delivering product/service/ability, building hype, then failing to deliver or falling short consistently (insert your jeter reference here).

FP does the first 2, but so far they've knocked every release out of the ballpark. That is why they are highly regarded in the toy business, not overrated.

20. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Honestly? probably not. But this craze cannot be attributed to fandom solely.

RTS G2 prime is a good toy, but not a GREAT toy.

And I think if we "quantify" craze and hype, we can see that fandom is moving well into 3rd party craze lately. Anything 3rd party puts up gets a lot of hype. On top of that, Fansproject, being a pioneer and one of the best 3rd Party, gets even more hype on top of that.

We don't know right now, but if it was just a 3rd party announcing this, and showing some good prototypes, would it be sold out? Maybe, maybe not.

I acknowledge that Fansproject, as a name, does make customers (us fans) happy. The name is, as someone stated, like Blizzard of gaming. There is a certain confidence level that fans place on FP's products not sucking, and it is well deserved.

I think, one thing that was not mentioned much, is that Scalpers understand that FP makes quality upgrades. So when FP announce something, they can make money by just hogging the molds. And this, is part of the reason why it is sold out as well.

In summary:

1. There is 3rd party hype.
    2. There is special FP hype.
    3. The hype is not only among fans, but among scalpers.