FP DIA Commander vs. Powered Commander?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by cjranck, Nov 25, 2010.

1. cjranck

cjranck Well-Known Member

I am still fairly new to TF collecting and am basically a G1 or Classics (CHUG) collector. I just have a couple of questions regarding a couple Fansproject sets:

1. What is the difference between the FP DIA Commander and the TF Con Powered Commander? Are they just repaints of the City Commander set designed for Optimus Prime?

2. Where did these characters come from (pardon my ignorance)? Are either supposed to be Powermaster Prime?

3. Where does the Shadow Commander (Nemesis Prime?) fit in? Is it just a money grab repaint of the City Commander, or is Shadow Commander a real character?

Again, sorry for the dumb questions, just curious on the repainted FP sets.

Thanks!

2. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The shadow commander was just a money grab.

Powered commander is a throwback to diaclone powered commander.

The DIA commander, has some chrome and different paint apps to match the henkei release of classics prime.

The tfcon powered commander is a limited release that is meant for the classics release and matches accordingly.

They are all awesome sets.

3. cingularman31

cingularman31 Alternator Freak

News Credits:
    1. DIA Has Chrome, Color is better suited for Henkei Prime, The Japanese Redeco of Classics Prime. DIA Also has much larger numbers, and Powered came with an Energon Lunchbox (Don't ask Me Why)

2. They were originally Ultra Magnus, and then the DIA is supposed to Represent Diaclone Powere Convoy, and Powered is a different take on the style of Diaclone.

3. There was a classics repaint of Nemesis Prime, so they have to get their money's worth of a mold, so bam, there is another repaint.

Hope it helps

Stixx

4. art2614

art2614 Well-Known Member

City Commander is a must have for any classics collection.

5. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    Actually these are pretty good questions, so don't be embarrassed.

1. see above posts.

2. The Shadow Commander/Nemesis Prime color scheme was first represented in the Robots In Disguise (RID) Transformers toy line. The black and blue color scheme was used on a repaint of the G2 Laser Optimus Prme figure named Scourge. This was a very popular character in the RID cartoon and toyline. Then the same color scheme (a black Optimus repaint) was used again in the next TF toyline (Armada). This repaint was called Nemesis Prime and was a repaint of the deluxe Armada Prime figure (aka Bendy Prime). Nemesis Prime was again very popular with TF collectors and now it seems that on occasion, Hasbro will release a Nemesis version of Optimus in a dark color scheme. The color scheme has been used in some of the other TF toy lines since. And so far none of them have any relation to or are supposed to be Powermaster Prime. There is a black repaint of the reissued Japanese Powermaster Prime toy a number of years ago. There is an orange one too.

3. As said above, the Shadow Commander accessory set was a repaint of City Commander to go with a Hasbro Nemesis Prime repaint of the Classics Optimus Prime toy. NP is not an "official" G1 character. He was never in any of the G1 Marvel comics nor in the cartoon. Hasbro just occasionally makes one in that color to get an extra repaint out of the mold.

As a figure, it really well done and I love my Shadow Commander and would be a great addition to anyone who has a G1 or CHUG collection but the character was never an "official" G1 character.

6. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    like it was said powered has the energon suitcase, which i like personally as all the cubes are removable, and the g3 trailer's roller can carry the case,

7. influence82

influence82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    DIA Commander is a homage to Diaclone Convoy and Powered Commander is a homage to Powermaster Optimus Prime. Combine Powered Commander with the G3 Trailer and you have a homage to God Bomber. Either one could play your Powermaster Prime: it depends on your preference and budget.
    Powered Commander has an energon Suitcase with 7 energon cubes because it was part of the exclusive comic that it came with. Only 500 Powered Commanders were made for TFCon whereas DIA Commander has a much higher production number.
    Nemesis Prime is an actual comic character who was reborn from Nova Prime (also a third party item). The Shadow Commander set does not fit in an official story.

8. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    powered commander is still a homage to diaclone powered convoy, the only difference in the main colorscheme is the chrome and slightly different hues of blue and red to match henkei and classics respectively, there is no homage to powermaster prime yet

9. cjranck

cjranck Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the information guys. I should have my Classics Ultra Magnus tomorrow and the City Commander Armor sometime next week. Looking forward to getting him on the shelf! I have a Henkei Optimus, but he is such a great figure, I can't imagine putting armor on him at this time. Maybe I will have to pick up a Classics Prime for the DIA armor. Thanks again for all the input!