Minor/Repaint: Fortress

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by destrongerlupus, Aug 13, 2011.

1. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    So, I was super excited when Stronghold was announced, I've been building myself a custom Headmaster collection for a while (my false start with Chromedome not withstanding :/), and I thought this would be a GREAT way to get the main man into the collection quickly and painlessly, at least until I could build (or more likely commission) a proper Classics-style Transector for him.

But as more information was revealed, it became apparent that "look" they were going for, with the labels especially, was that of Fortress MAXIMUS.

Now that's cool, in some way, and I UNDERSTAND why, from a Marketing perspective, the 'Con would want to go with that look. That's what MOST people think of when they think 'FortMax.'

But for me, it wasn't cutting it. Fortress Maximus is Fortress Maximus, in all his 2' glory. If I'm going to have a bot hanging with my Classics, and I WANT one there, it's going to be Fortress, full stop. I LOVE the Headmaster Anime. Yes, that one. I know with the US release finally happening, a lot of fans are seeing it for the first time and getting queasy, but while I think it's the weakest of the G1 JTF trilogy, I think it's great. I just happen to enjoy Japanese Childrens Super Robot fare, of which Headmasters is a fine example.

ANYWAY, this is all to say that I was looking for a version of THIS GUY.

So, an afternoon of dis-assembly, painting, and reassembly, and I'm much happier.

I'm going to think of him as the transector Fortress used before they started work on Project Maximus, which is implicitly his official TFCon bio anyway, so it's all good.

[​IMG]

I've intentionally arranged his load-out so that most of his gear is stowed and his turret-barrels are removed, just so that he ends up looking like a slightly different model than Hardhead. Same body-form, Urban Enforcement vs Battlefield configurations.

[​IMG]

HEAD ON!

[​IMG]

I still have to do some touch ups and a little detail work, which I'm going to do after the paint's set long enough to be "chip proof" (which is a lie), and then I'll add some alt mode pics.

UPDATE: Vehicle mode, at last, as promised.

Did a little subtle, but I think effective, detail work on the vehicle mode that helps make it pop a little.

[​IMG]

I LOVE the color lay out in this mode, I think it's much more effective than Onslaught's fairly patchwork-look.

D/L

Attached Files:

2. Dinodigger97

Dinodigger97 germinates within you.

News Credits:
    Who's that Purple Guy?

3. seali_me

seali_me Buhawi Gabay-Tala

it looks better.

alt mode?

also i'm expecting someone to give the bigger bot a face on the back then maybe another someone going the WHOLE way.

edit

i hope your the guy man. i want see THAT!

4. destrongerlupus

News Credits:
    That's Toonces...err.. I mean Trizer:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radic...trizers-new-transector.html?highlight=toonces

Alt Mode will come once the Krylon has set for it's "chip-proof" 1 week waiting period, and then I'll try transforming him and do some final detailing, and I'll update.

I DEFINITELY plan on either building or commissioning a anime-accurate Transector for him someday (Though I'll use the pictured G1 Fortress/Spike for that one's head). Which means it'll transform into a big ol' head. Not sure I'll ever have the balls/money to attempt a 3-4 foot Maximus though! :lol 

D/L

Attached Files:

5. seali_me

seali_me Buhawi Gabay-Tala

alt mode pics? please? kidding. i think i'm the only one transforming recently painted toys. 6 hours perhaps. i just don't have the patience.

6. Dinodigger97

News Credits:
  7. destrongerlupus

News Credits:
    If you mean Fortress and Trizer, thanks!

If you mean the Chromedome, that's actually F-R's work, and I sold it recently because it wasn't really what I was going for with my HeadMasters. it was nice work though.

D/L

8. Dinodigger97

News Credits:
    I was talking 'bout Trizer and Fortress.....but sorry for selling Chromedome!!!!!!

9. destrongerlupus

News Credits:
    Well thank you then! That's very kind, these were both simple customs that I tried to keep clean and easy, not my most adventurous work, but they came out nice :) 

Ehh, nothing to be sorry about, I manged to get back what I paid for him, and I'm happier not having him throwing off the "look" in the display.

I've got my own CD planned, but I gotta find a Stylor for a decent price :) 

10. destrongerlupus

News Credits:
    UPDATE: Vehicle mode, at last, as promised.

Did a little subtle, but I think effective, detail work on the vehicle mode that helps make it pop a little.

[​IMG]

I LOVE the color lay out in this mode, I think it's much more effective than Onslaught's fairly patchwork-look.

D/L

Attached Files:

11. asphalt

asphalt King of the road

Ebay:
    alt mode looks pretty good, but all I get are red X's for the other pics.

12. destrongerlupus

News Credits:
    Sorry about that! Should be fixed now. I had attached the files in another window, and then closed without saving :eek: 

Thanks for having a look!

13. thedreaded1

thedreaded1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sexy!

14. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    nice, they look great together

15. chansformers

chansformers butcher of the bots

News Credits:
    wicked!!!

i love seeing everyones different takes on this exclusive bot!!!
    the sword and shield totally seal the deal for me;) 

16. destrongerlupus

News Credits:
    Thanks!

I become slightly happier every time another Member joins the team.

I gotta figure out SOMETHING for the Destrons though :/ Sixshot is coming, which is great, and BotCon Wierdwolf...err..exists, which is...something...but I need the baddies now!

I'm thinking I'm going to break down and re-buy the G1 Destrons (*sigh* for probably a lot more than I sold mine for...), and work on articulating them. Not the road I REALLY want to go down, but it may be the only way to do them right.

I love that TF Con did an exclusive that pretty much REQUIRED a little custom work (at the very least applying the decals), it's a great incentive for people to be creative!

D/L