Minor/Repaint: Fortress Maximus

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Dicron, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Dicron

Dicron Well-Known Member

So I found a Cybertron Metroplex for $3 at a flea market. After seeing Frenzy Rumble's excellent work turning him into one of my favorites, I figured I could give it a go for only three bucks.

Here he is mostly painted. I took him apart for the majority of the painting, but I wanted him in one piece to do the detailing so I could better see how it was coming together.I've constructed a makeshift Master Sword out of backer board until i can get my hands on some material to cut a real one.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

While working on the head, I was at a loss of what to do with it while in alt mode when the idea struck me that the central chest piece was hollow and just the right size...

[​IMG]

Here you can see the repainted Darkray minicon and the peg assembly I made for the ramps (courtesy RID Ultra Magnus). I plan on adding several more of the PCC minicons to Fort Max's armaments, just waiting for them to arrive so I can repaint them.

[​IMG]

Here he is in city mode, with WST Optimus thrown in since the scale matches so well. The comm tower/blaster cannon was cobbled together from a MIR space station model I found while buying paint. I want to include a helipad in the middle, but I have yet to come across a good piece short of just making one. I'd like to get hold of a helipad from the old Countdown playset.

[​IMG]

Another image in city mode with WST Optimus and the as yet unnamed minicon. I'd considered naming them after Max's micro bots: Gasket, Grommet, Cog, and Cerebros.

[​IMG]

And lastly, mobile battle station mode. I couldn't figure out what else to do with the ramps in this mode, as I don't like parts that "disappear" between transformations a la Op's trailer, no clue what I'll do with the helipad should I ever get one...

[​IMG]

So, fellow insatiable toy fanatics, this is my first attempt at a custom beyond the sticky tack and sharpie of childhood days, what do you think?

Attached Files:

2. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

that looks like a really solid repaint, especially for a first time. I think some full body pictures taken from closer up would really help to see what all you've done though.

3. Dicron

Dicron Well-Known Member

Certainly. I'd planned on taking some higher quality pics with my wife's camera, I even have a few in progress shots, but the damn thing has Cosmic Rust or something so I'm stuck with the built in eye for now...

4. Drift

Drift Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  5. Dicron

Dicron Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've looked at both of those already. Though I love the way the Master Sword looks, I'm not willing to drop $80 on an accessory, so the God Sword is out. The JB set is a little more in the acceptable price range, plus the variety of weapons you can make is pretty sweet. I'd planned on getting some sheet plastic and cutting out my pattern, but depending on how the cost of that compares, I may go with the JB weapons.

6. Dicron

Dicron Well-Known Member

Minor update, got my wife's camera working, so I took some more detailed pics including my progress. After adding the pylons to Max's head, I had to make some further alterations to the storage area, but now it fits in quite nicely. Also, wanting to push on ahead, I've decided to craft the helipad/shield myself, what you see in the pic is the foamboard pattern.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    This is looking really cool :thumb 

8. jordy

jordy Banned

News Credits:
    I must admit this is quite genius one of my favs so far. Just when I kept seeing bayverse customs I come across this little gem. Tips use some led's for the guns as they will give it a lot better look also the helipad would look best on the crotch section while in city mode but while on the moving fortress mode between the tower and the legs would look best, try ti incorporate the power core combiner plug ports for that part as they can be easily covered up by putting hinge points on them to flip up and down. Besides from that I can't wait to see more of him.