Fortress Maximus cheap plastic?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Brave Convoy, Nov 26, 2009.

1. Brave Convoy

Brave Convoy Banned

I've seen a lot of Fort Maxes that have really bad discolouring not only on their white parts, but on their grey parts as well. I see a lot more yellowed Fort Maxes than any other G1 Transformer actually. Makes me wonder if he was made from a cheaper plastic than the previous years TFs? Did they start using cheaper plastic by that year or did they use extra cheap plastic to make up for the size of him? I don't see as many discoloured regular sized Headmasters, just Fort Max, so maybe they cheaped out on only him?

So is it possible that the "Holy Grail" is made of crap? Or maybe he just got left in the sun more than any other TF ever made.

2. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think you might be onto something with the plastic. But your conclusion is a stretch. Sounds like you're trying to talk yourself out of wanting the toy.

Maybe Fort Maxes just tended to be exposed to more sunlight because they were too big to fit into a toybox.

Besides, you can just whiten it with peroxide.

3. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    Rather than the plastic quality, I think it's to do with the size of him. He's likely to have been left sitting out rather than packed away somewhere.

EDIT: Beaten by Foster, answering the phone before clicking post FTL.

4. Brave Convoy

Brave Convoy Banned

Not trying to talk myself out of it. Just an observation. Reason I haven't gotten one by now is most are discoloured!

Peroxide whitening that big boy is quite a job. I'd rather drop an extra $500 and get a white one.

5. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Set up a Wanted thread in the Junkion. I got a hell of a deal on a nice white Max this summer because the other party wanted Botcon money. :) 

6. Brave Convoy

Brave Convoy Banned

Will do, but I never seem to have any luck with TF trades. Fingers crossed!

7. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    Good luck man! Patience is the key, I got a FM as part of a huge lot a few years ago. Sold off the rest of the lot, after factoring in time, ebay fees etc, a 90% complete white Max cost me £50/$100.

I've since stupidly sold him on, but there are deals out there.

8. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Maybe also it's just because he's bigger so you notice it more since the yellowing areas are bigger.

9. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    IIRC, discolored plastic has been attributed in part to impurities in the process of creating the individual parts.

Is it possible that the size of the parts in question means either that they're more prone to discoloring than others because particular production techniques are required to make them, or because only particular factories were able to produce parts that size in the first place?

Maybe not, just thinking off the top of my head.