fortress max original price?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by mac&cheese, Feb 17, 2010.

1. mac&cheese

mac&cheese Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    hi again i was wondering do anuone know the orginal cost of fort max? i heard before 150 to 300.00. so did this toy really cost that much in the 80s? i remember that most of the big items like omega supreme was 50.00 to 60.00? i not 100% sure anymore. its been a while. i remember things the huge gi joe uss flag, castle grayskull was 100.00 at that time. so for fort max to be 250 or more, what kid will ever be able to afford that thing? i know of no one who would buy me that toy if it was over 100.00 ever. so does anyone have an original box with a price tag on that thing wayyy back from the 80s? im super curious as to what cost it really was.

2. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

Mine still has the price tag on the box at it was 99.99 from Toys R Us.

3. blunghole

blunghole The Tapeworm of Unicron!

News Credits:
  4. Automorpher

Automorpher Autobot Slut!

News Credits:
    You lucky devils, we've to pay approximately USD $150 upwards if we wanted him back then. :cry 

5. ORIO

ORIO Team Sentinel Prime Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well... that explains why my Dad wouldn't get me one for my Birthday.

Was Castle Grayskull really that much too? I got that thing at a Garage sale. And while it was cool, I can't see it costing that much.

6. F18Starscream

F18Starscream Commander of the Skies

News Credits:
    Around the fall of 1987 he cost about $89.99 plus tax. BNIB I don't have the the box anymore it was lost in a flood in my basement.

7. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow $90-$100. Anyone know how much was the GI Joe USS Flagg?

8. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    There's no way Castle Grayskull was $100. I had it, if it cost more than $40 I wouldn't have.

Wikipedia says the USS Flagg was $109 when it came out, and it was 7 1/2 feet long.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  9. mac&cheese

News Credits:
    castle grayskull was 100.00 because i remember someones mom got one for her kid, who happens to be one of my teachers in the 80s. she went into detail about what a rip off it was. 100.00 dollars for a hollow shell. as for fort max that 100.00 range sounds about right in the ballpark. its so funny how we are now paying 150 to 300.00 for a ko version. so the ko cost more than the real deals. if takara reissue fort max. i bet it would be around 100.00 as well. but ko prices will be more. i bought a devastator ko for 95.00 shipped and the original from the 80s was about 50.00. i think they should at least make the ko prices close to the takara reissues prices. but then again if takara dont reissue any of them then the prices are either you pay or you dont get that toy in misb condition. but looks like for now i will be paying whoever that makes them first.

10. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    Even at $90 USD, that would be just a bit less than $150 USD today, adjusted for inflation. There is no way Hasbro would bring a product like that to market now. (Well, perhaps they would if it happened to be a movie-verse Bumblebee that turned into a city/base.)

I don't have a price for Castle Greyskull, but it was very light and not as complex as Fortress Maximus. I'd be surprised if it was priced at more than half of the cost of FM at retail. (I had Castle Greyskull when I was a kid and there is no way my parents would have spent that much on a toy for a 5-6 year old.)

11. mac&cheese

News Credits:
    too bad hasbro wont reissue those big bots anymore. so then we are force to buy more ko. oh well im happy either way. as long as i get one or the other is fine. hey maybe we will get a ko of grayskull and snake mountain when the ko guys finish knocking off every single transformer that ever was made. its possible right?

12. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    Comparing Fort Max to similarly-sized toy playsets today (Joe ROC The Pit & SW Legacy Collection Millenium Falcon), A Fort Max would have cost a parent a hell of a lot of money on an average wage back in 1987/1988. I don't think many parents could have justified spending that much money on a toy, especially after the stock market crash in '87. Maybe that's why there are relatively few Fort Max's on Ebay etc. today... *shrugs*

13. ORIO

ORIO Team Sentinel Prime Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Its totally sad that todays badass $100 item in ROTF Devastator.

Argue with me if you want, and I own it, but its not nearly as cool as Fort Max or the USS Flagg.

14. mac&cheese

News Credits:
    you my friend are 100% correct. i agree with you all the way. the toys back then was just cooler looking the artwork on the g1 & gi joe boxes, the robots look cooler and so on. now these days its all 3d.

15. Automorpher

News Credits:
    Fortress Maximus was kinda "reissued/re-introduced" as Brave Maximus in Car Robo 2000. He was selling for approximately USD $140-$200 (from where I am) back then & sales were anything but fantastic.

Its gonna take some decisions to "reissue" a toy of that size, especially when it comes with a hefty price tag.

16. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I remember when I seen Fort Max at Lionel Playworld. I could not afford it back then. But I was amazed how big the figure was.

17. DeeJay

DeeJay Bluestreak Brony

News Credits:
    I'm not sure whether it was a clearance thing or regular retail price, but I clearly remember that my brother got Fort Max for his b-day, and that he paid $80 + $4 tax.

18. Mobb One

Mobb One Godmaster

News Credits:
    I lobbied my dad for 10 months to get me fort max. Finally while we were visiting my cousins in NJ he and i secretly drove to toys r us after dinner and picked him up. It was a huge deal because i wasn't able to peep a word about it, not even to my mom because he knew she would be angry. So yeah, the cost was a bit serious.

Might have been on sale. I clearly remember my dad paying $99.99 for fort max, as I had to be the one to carry the mammoth box (at 6 years old) to the cashier. My dad wanted me to "earn" it by taking immediate responsibility. And it was heavy as hell. I had to push it on the floor and the whole time i was staring at the price tag.

19. mac&cheese

News Credits:
    sounds like your dad was one of the very best dads ever, my dad was like that too. he and i got a new transformer each week for 3 weeks, without telling my mom knowing she would trash them if she found out.
    i forgot about brave max, he was a sort of reissue from takara. so he didnt sell well? i figure fans would swipe him up pretty fast.

20. Automorpher

News Credits:
    Ironic:

The "Swiping him up pretty fast" only took place seriously in the recent years. (about 2-3 years backwards) :lol