Fort Worth police officer killed while aiding motorist

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Omnibus Prime, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

So, I had to deal with this story yesterday and it got to me, partly because I drive that stretch of road all the time, only a couple of hours or so before it happened in fact. They hadn't IDed the driver when the story ran yesterday. Hope the guy lives..so he can go to fucking jail.

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/16266972.htm

If the link works (you may have to be registered on the site), there's a pretty morbid photo of the scorched road and another of what's left of the police car.

2. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

My dad's a retired cop. I remember one time, he had a car stopped. Him and his partner were sitting in their car, writing a ticket up. Somebody slammed into the back of the car. The patrol car was totaled but somehow they both got out with minor injuries. Both the seats they they were sitting in, were broken completely.

3. Random Autobot

Random Autobot Soviet Kanukistani

So, there's no basic proof that the guy who hit him was drunk, based on that article. Yet, you're ready to convict him.

4. Omnibus Prime

It's vehicular manslaughter whether he was drunk or not, whether he was speeding or not. I daresay it takes reckless driving and/or gross negligence, even stone cold sober and at 60 mph, to plow into the rear of three vehicles at a high enough speed to cause it to burst into flames. Circumstances dictate whether it will be treated as a misdemeanor or a felony, but it can still in fact be a felony if alcohol/speeding weren't involved.

The sidebar story about the safety of the Crown Vic also states:

I'll try and ask the reporter that was at the scene if he saw any skid marks indicating the Lexus may have tried to brake. The above might be a hint as to what the answer will be.

5. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

It was also in Texas, so chances are he was drunk.

:confused2 

6. Omnibus Prime

Not entirely implausible that he was hightailing it back to dry Johnson County/Burleson after a night of drinkin' in Tarrant/FW.

7. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

Its the law in our state now to merge to the next lane and slow down when you see an officer pulling someone on the side of the road. But its also common sence but wait we live in a country where there isnt much of that.

8. Sonscreen

Sonscreen Casual TF collector<br><b><font color=#FF0000>aksm TFW2005 Supporter

Oh man, that's horrible.

9. Caterwaul

Caterwaul Busou Shinki Loremaster

He was either
    A: Drunk, in which case he deserves everything he gets. or
    B: Not drunk, in which case he managed to somehow crash into a parked car on the shoulder hard enough to set them both on fire.

Because of him, someone who appears to have been a good man was killed for doing his job. You're damn right I'd want to see him convicted. I'd want him convicted even if it wasnt a cop who was killed. I see very few extenuating circumstances that could apply barring gross mechanical failure, and I dont see that as highly likely.

10. Optimus-JD

Optimus-JD Team Laser Explosion!

Yeah, he was either drunk or way too stupid to be driving. Either way this is a horrible story.

11. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

We have that law too. You're either supposed to slow down to 20mph under the speed limit or merge left and give the officer a completely open lane.

12. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:

We have that here too. Motorists in the passing lane must slow down to 60 km.

I feel bad for the officer and the family.

13. Omnibus Prime

Well..the toxicology report is in. .20 BAC; the legal limit being .08 of course. Crash reconstruction team estimates he was going at least 84 mph. Driver is still in critical condition.

14. butz

butz slippery when wet

Holy fuck, what the hell is a matter with people?! 84 mph, drunk, in the middle of the afternoon?

15. Omnibus Prime

Not in the afternoon. This was 3:30-4ish a.m.. Still..what the fuck is the matter with people indeed?

Intoxication manslaughter charges are being filed should the guy survive.

16. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

This story is so sick. I hope that scum-bucket, who did this, dies. If he does not I hope he spends the rest of his worthless life a maximum security prison.

17. butz

butz slippery when wet

Whoops, somehow missed that it was a.m. (not that it makes this any less reprehensible).