Fort Max Price History

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by EightiesKid, Jun 23, 2011.

1. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    So I'd love to eventually get the grail - a G1 MIB Fort Max. He came out as my interest in TF was waning back in the late 80's, and I was moving on to other life stuff. I've been back in for awhile now, and have been researching FM. From what I've seen, his price keeps going up. I've read from some folks that back in 2008 they were able to get an MIB FM for around 600-700. This year at Botcon I saw a few FM's for 1300-1500. Assuming that the condition of the toys are comparable, that is quite a price appreciation over 3-4 years. I was wondering what folks know or recall about FM's price trajectory over the last several years?

I'll probably just keep monitoring auctions for now to see how prices go. If Takara reissues FM, that would be awesome, but I don't know if that will ever happen.

2. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord

Fort Max's price is what keeps me from getting any variants of the color scheme/ mold. If I ever win the lottery, Fort Max will be mine, but I'm not holding my breath

3. Cobalt Agent

Cobalt Agent My dick kills dinosaurs

The holy grail.

[​IMG]

4. hardreturn

hardreturn Ian Reid

News Credits:
    love that one green square at the bottom.

5. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Keep in mind that pricing doesn't determine value. They may have been priced at $1,300-$1,500, but they didn't sell at that price. Which means they obviously weren't worth that much. I'd say $800-$1,000 depending on condition.

6. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    just keep your eye out for deals, they exist :D 

7. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    you wont get a MIB max with styro and complet and white for under a grand.. if anyone thinks that your kidding yourself.

8. FakeEyes22

FakeEyes22 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I remember seeing an MIB Grand Maximus at a con in '97 or so, thinking "Cool, Fort Max in his Japanese box. Wait-the colors seem off...Whoa! What the hell is this and why is it so expensive!?"

I can't remember the price, but it was somewhere between $700-$1500. That's pretty vague, I just remember being astonished since that seemed impossible for a non Star Wars or antique toy price back then and Transformers still seemed to be generally regarded as old toys rather than collectibles. I just saw one at a con this weekend for $2800 in a box with more wear. I'll definitely never own that guy since the main draw is the Pretender shell and sword which aren't really worth $1400 each to me.

I know Brave Max wasn't available for long, but I'm surprised he didn't curb the demand for Fort Max at all. I wonder if he just made the idea of owning all 3 more appealing, or maybe his huge jump in price made people decide it worth spending a bit more to go after the original?

I'm thrown off a lot by the prices of all of Fort Max's loose components online and the fact that the MIB prices you mention are barely more than the Buy it Nows I see for a loose complete toy. And speaking of price increase, I could swear a loose Spike was a pretty standard $100 very recently on ebay. I'm seeing $125-$150 now.

9. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    ^getting a cerebros for sure for around $100 is so damn hard, i have tried and failed so much

10. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    When I got mine in 2001 or so, he was thought to be worth about £1,000.

I paid £60 MIB complete, some guy walked into my shop with him and he seemed shocked that I offered him that much.

11. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I sold mine (MIB) a few months ago for $2500. The general concensus was that if I'd held on a while I could have even got a little more.

In all fairness, he was in immaculate condition.

12. darkwingduck13

darkwingduck13 Caped Crusader

My Fort Max isn't complete, but he's "good enough" for me considering the crazy prices. I do want to eventually get a few more of his guns, but back in 2000 or 2001 I sniped some EBay auctions and bought a good condition Fort Max body, a good Cerebro, and a good Spike for around $200 total (which was a ton for me to spend at the time). I was bidding against this one user with a female account name. "She" had the high bid on all the other parts (Cog, big red guns, etc), and I kept bidding on all of it just to have her outbid me over the last 24 hours of the auction.

In the end, I said "Screw it," sniped the three most important (to me) pieces, outbid her by like $3-5 on each of the three pieces, and she ended up winning the guns. :D 

13. CZ Hazard

News Credits:
    Wow, really? Shit, if he keeps going for that kind of price I'd have to re-evaluate keeping mine. And that was non-sealed?

14. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    He didnt come with all the original accessories.

15. Hursticon

Hursticon Emissary of OZformers.

News Credits:
    So if Fort Max were to be (Hypothetically) re-released with the resurfacing of the Encore line - What sort of price do you think we'd be looking at?

16. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    About 600 dollars+ for us. I doubt it will ever happen

17. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    IMO that's too high, you're using aftermarket prices as a basis.

I'd say expect $300-400 at most. I honestly don't see a FM reissue costing 3 times a Predaking reissue, 5-6 times a Devastator reissue, etc

18. CZ Hazard

News Credits:
    I picked up 2 Brave Maximus' at clearance for $100 each (BBTS), one of my good friends did the same. Sold the other one within a month and it paid for both of them. Sure if I'd held on it would have gone for more a few years later, but I essentially got a free Brave Max.
    If they did Encore a Fort Max, I'd stash one.

19. ultramagnus69

ultramagnus69 GTL

We need an encore release

20. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    KOtoys is making one for 300 i am sure an official would be more.