Formula One world championship 2009

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scourge_151, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Scourge_151

Scourge_151 Dangerous when naked! TFW2005 Supporter

We're but 15 days away from the whole circus starting over again!

BIG changes this year with the car designs and the technical regulations for the, slightly odd looking, cars. Will this really shake up the racing and bring us back to the wheel-to-wheel action of the late 70's?

We've also got new developments with the teams, sponsors starting to pull away from the sport, cost cutting measures to try and bring the budgets down, and even Honda quitting the sport entirely.

Honda are now Brawn GP following a Ross Brawn led management buyout. Considering the team gave up on their 2008 car and concentrated from mid season on the 2009 design, do we think that their performance will improve, this being the first car that was designed under the Brawn helm?

Also we can now look forward to some VERY promising sounding coverage from the BBC (well here in the UK at any rate), with lots of interactive and multi-camera options for digital viewers and online from the new BBC F1 page here. I do hope they've kept "The Chain" as the theme music, as that'd be the icing on the cake.

Oh, and Lewis Hamilton, as well as being the champ, is now an MBE as well, good on you!

So far pre-season testing hasn't thrown up anyone with a clear advantage, although the McLarens do seem to be a little behind, apparently it is their strategy to get their aero package sorted out at the last minute, why I don't know.

Well, what do you all think?

*Forgot to add, the official page of the championship is here.

Also found a good comparison photo of an '08 and '09 car, it's the BMW Sauber car, the '09 is on the left.

And here's a video done by the Red Bull Racing team that very nicely explains the differences and the KERS technology.

YouTube - Sebastian Vettel explains the new RED BULL RB5

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  2. newguy

newguy i

Well i figured you'd get some Euro TF fans talking on this.

I myself am not very knowing about Formula one, but I'm getting into it. This year I'll be going to the American Lemans so that should jump start things.

3. TM2 D-bot

TM2 D-bot Forsight Into the Future Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Can't wait for the new season to start. It's been a clean slate for everyone so it SHOULD be competitive. However with the further cost cutting and standardization I feel this will one day become a cookie cutter series like A1GP.

4. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

It's nice to see them back on race tires. The ribbed tires always looked liked something that belonged on an off roader. (In fact, RC stadium trucks have traditionally used similar looking tires in the front) The big ol' front wings are kind of strange.

Now, if they'd just allow six wheeled cars, again.

5. Nutcrusher

Nutcrusher Decepticon

News Credits:
    Ah. Forget F1. Endurance racing is much better. (ducks and hides)

Sadly ALMS is in gutters with Audi pulling out except for like 3 races. And GM's downsizing from GT1 to GT2 since there is quite literally no competition. So.

LMP1 class - gone.
    GT1 class - gone.

I'm afraid we'll have to resort to the European LM series and FIA GT Series. I myself, is looking forward to this year's 24hrs of Le Mans.

Oh. Has everyone seen this yet?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  6. Scourge_151

I think as long as they still let the teams design their own cars and engines F1 will still rule over the single-chassis series and A1GP (which suffers from being dull rather than being one-make).
    The one-chassis series' can offer great racing, however, I remember seeing GP2 and GP Masters live and it was some of the best close racing I'd ever seen outside of touring cars.
    I don't think F1 shoudl ever be truly standardised though, it's not the point of the series. The point is to design and build the best car as well as getting it around the track first.

I do love endurance as well, if I were ever going to drive in a series it'd be GTs, if anything you get to have a go in the car for longer!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  7. Scourge_151

A question for the US reader, would the proposed USF1 team get you more interested in the sport? I've no idea if F1 actually gets any coverage over with you on the sporting networks at all.
    I do think it's apalling that there are no races on the North American continent this year, dumping Indy was a mistake as the road course is a great technical track, and dumping Montreal for Abu Dhabi? Who's stupid idea was that? (I'm looking at you Ecclestone) Seems purely a money grabbing exercise to me, why else drop a race that all the drivers love, always makes for a great TV show, and is genuinely fun to attend for the spectator?

8. bouncing boy77

bouncing boy77 Syntax Error

glad to see fellow tfw2005 members here who are also into f1 like me. the new technical regulations for this year really makes the cars look, meh. just look at the rear wing...

as far as f1 coverage, they show the races on cable over at speed. still hoping that the race would someday comeback at indy.

9. Nutcrusher

Nutcrusher Decepticon

News Credits:
    It's the USGPE now. Old Man Ecclestone doesn't want anyone to make $.$ using the F1 name. Not that you can make money running an F1 team.

Indy has great overall US racing history, but its location is... less than F1 friendly. It's Indiana afterall. If it were up to me, I'd steer it towards the West Coast. (Long Beach anyone? Nah. It'd never work... again.) But yeah. No NA F1 races. Their alienating a huge fanbase for some cold hard $.$. Although I'd have to play the Devil's advocate and say that now isn't the good time to run expensive races in the US in this economy...

10. Scourge_151

AH, I did read that they'd changed the name somewhere, think that article had the best background info to link to though.

I'm not really up on my US geography so I can't really comment on locations and such, I did wonder why they never considered Laguna Seca as an F1 track though, think it'd have to be widened or have a bit of length added to it to qualify (I think there has to be a minimum average lap time so the races are about 70 laps) but it's a good track and the corkscrew corner is a real challenge for any vehicle. I'm sure that a lot of the tracks used for the ALMS races would be fine for F1 with or without modification.
    Economy is an issue for the whole sport as well as those who watch it at the moment, unless you happen to be sitting on a lot of oil barrels of course :( 
    As a race weekend I have found the F1 to be good value when I've travelled to see it live, not just for the main race but the support series as well, whcih are picked well to offer some great and varied on-track action.

11. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

As much as I absolutely love Laguna Seca and will watch just about anything they race there, it's just not practical for F1 (too short, too narrow). I wish someone would build a larger track with the same style corkscrew.

To answer your question about coverage: races are broadcast on the Speed Channel here which is a 24/7 racing channel (as the name implies) and is available as part of most cable packages. Outside of that, F1 recieves very little coverage (I think the Montreal race was broadcast by one of the major networks last year with virtually little promotion). NASCAR recieves the lion's share of motorsports coverage in the US with Indy Car garnishing attention around the Indianapolis 500.

Two of the major drawbacks for building a F1 fanbase in the United States is the lack of US manufactures/teams/drivers and the fact that due to time differentials, most of the races occur early in the morning here. The USGPE team has been clever in throwing out names of well known NASCAR and Indy drivers as potential recruits to draw attention to themselves. But the time thing is much trickier, Americans simply aren't going to roll out of bed at 5 in the morning on the weekend to watch a race.

12. Sinestro

Sinestro Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  13. Scourge_151

Thanks for the info, Boulder, we get the same time difference problem with the rounds in Australia, Japan and Bahrain, which will usually occur at 5 or 6 in the morning our time.
    Our broadcasters get round this by re-running the races during a more convenient timeslot, either lunchtime or early evening, whilst still offering live coverage for the hardcore fan. The afternoon re-runs easily beat the live runs of the early morning races for viewing figures so they make up for not being live.
    It does pretty much mean avoiding any media that will display who won until the afternoon if you didn't watch it live though!

Bugger :(  , I'm a BMW boy but I would like McLaren to keep Ferrari off the top spot if we can't manage it.

14. Sinestro

Sinestro Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I support BMW as well, i think they have pretty good chance this season, Kubica looked good for most of last season, and Heidfeld was coming on towards the end, possibly in with a shout for the Constructors this year.

15. bouncing boy77

yeah, as far as media coverage here in the us, its just speed tv, although there were like 3 race last year that was broadcast over at fox, including montreal like boulder said, i just cant remember the other 2.

16. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

It's rebroadcast here in the late morning/early afternoon as well (typically just before the pre-show for the day's NASCAR races) and since there's very seldom any mention on other channels, avoiding results is pretty easy. ESPN will run the result on the bottom of the screen with all the other sports scores and news.

The USGP tire debacle did get some attention for a few days but for all the wrong reasons.

17. Scourge_151

Yeah that ridiculous display was one I'm glad I missed, I was in Montreal for the GP at the time so missed watching on the TV as I was having too much fun around town!

Should never have happened, pure and simple.
    They should have limited the cars speed on the banked curves, given the other teams safe tires or just called the race off. Think it went ahead so Ferrari could get points, they seem to have way too much power over the organisers and the FIA.
    In the end the organisers and teams that decided to take the grid just made themselves and the sport look bad, especially in the US where F1 isn't very popular.

Here's hoping that a return to the continent next year, either Canada and Indy or at LEAST one of them, and the possibility of a US team with US drivers should encourage some more interest and help people forget what happened.

18. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

Or Michelin could have shown up with the right kind of tire. There's no reason the course should be altered to accommodate the teams that showed up unprepared. That would like me showing up at a triathlon and expecting them to shorten the swimming portion because I'm not a good swimmer.

I'm usually the first to complain about F1 standing for Ferrari 1st, but this one can't be blamed on them. (That list is pretty full anyway. You just know if the whole McLaren-Ferrari incident from last season was the other way around, there wouldn't have been enough "conclusive evidence.")

19. bouncing boy77

yeah, i still remember that race, only 6 cars racing the entire circuit...

20. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    imo I dont like the look of the new cars those tiny rear spoilers just look funky

and ill add this little bit go Raikonen!! boo Alonso!