Formula 1 2007 Season

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scourge_151, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Scourge_151

Scourge_151 Dangerous when naked! TFW2005 Supporter

What are everyone's predictions for the coming year?

Now everyone is using Bridgestone tyres some of the performance variablilty depending on the weather will be gone so the top teams should be a lot closer (well here's hoping anyway!)

From what news I've seen it looks as though Alonso is settling in well at McLaren, Raikonnen likewise at Ferrari so these two will most liekly be the favourites for the title (again!)

Despite the fugliness of the new paint scheme the new Renault looks like it should be a good performer, but we'll see whether it was the car or Alonso that was so special this year.

I have high hopes for Lewis Hamilton, I've seen the guy driving in GP2 and he was astounding there, hopefully he, Jenson and David Coulthard can put in a good show for the brits this year, especially DC as the new Red Bull Racing car not only has a Renault engine but has been designed by one of the sports top guys Adrian Newey.

2. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I'm not betting on anything this year at the front of the gird. Alonso could clean up if McLaren get some reliable engines this year, but Ferrari will give them a good hiding if they don't. Renault can't go far wrong with the car if they keep up the work from the last couple of years, but Fisichella isn't A-list material and Kovalainen is unproven.

The mid field is certainly going to be interesting as well. Honda will do well if they can keep improving and Red Bull should go upwards now that they have a Newey designed car and a decent driver in both. Williams is hard to predict since almost everything has changed there since the end of last season, its going to be interesting to what they can do with the new engine compared to the hilariously mismanaged Toyota works team.

3. Scourge_151

Thread resurrection.....GO!

So we're a couple of races in now, Lewis Hamilton is leading the championship (WOW!) in his rookie year officially making him the best rookie F1 has ever had, it may even turn into a 4-way title fight this year as Massa, Raikonnen and Alonso are all performing well.

The new Renault and Honda cars suck as badly as their paint jobs, and the customer teams are all outperforming them, I was very pleased to see Taku score the first points for Super Aguri in Spain, and for David Culthard to put in a solid drive for 5th with Red Bull.

The season is going well, I feel, and very entertaining on the whole.

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=39247
    seems Alonso and Massa differ on their veiws of their scrap at the first corner on the weekend, personally I think Alosno pushed a bit too hard, he could've backed off and tried to slip Massa on the outside. Massa's been coached by Schumacher so he knows how to push people into the dirt.............

4. Scourge_151

Oh also to emphasize that Kimi's Ferrari broke!
    Hell HAS frozen over!

5. RabidYak

Quality season so far and its certainly the most open its been for more years then I can remember off the top of my head. Hamiliton and Massa shaking things up from the expected Alonso vs Raikkonen fight is whats made it so far, especially since were finally seeing both Alonso and Ferrari reliability crack under the pressure.

I've been surprised by how well BMW are doing, going from second hand mobile chicanes to the third best team on the grid in two years is a considerable achievement by any standards. Things finally seem to be coming together for Red Bull as well, which is even more bad news for Renault as they seem to have slipped into mid field mediocrity without world champion motivation.

Honda and Toyota are still stinking up the track and are being made to look stupid by Aguri and Williams. They need to get people in who actually know how to run a team or at least give somebody the power to make decisions without interference, the whole run by committe thing and trying to solve probelms by throwing more money at them still isn't getting them anywhere.

Looking foward to Monaco in a couple of weeks and its great to see that a second street circuit is going to be on the calender next year.

6. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

CART and IRL! Whoooo

Er. NASCAR? Rednecks? No?

Formula 1 always seemed interesting though. Never had a chance to get into it. Is it mostly road courses?

7. RabidYak

Its purpose built race tracks for the most part, althougth Monaco is all street and Canada is partial.

Theres going to be a second Spanish race next year on a street circuit and there is talk of one in Singapore as well, at night if they can light it properly.

Theres no comedy ovals in this sport, drivers need to be able to steer in both directions.

8. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

CART has been dead for quite a few years....they call themselves "Champ Car" now.

9. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

I like Nascar. Nascar is not for Rednecks these days. Its actually very badass! With the camera angels they can get these days and the speeds. It also takes alot of courage, integrity, just straight up balls man. They are the fastest on the planet, well with the new cars its hard, but if you watch a race or even go you will get into it no matter who you are.

10. Scourge_151

I have respect for the guys who take part in Nascar, oval racing isn't easy, it is an unfortunate fact though that every time I ever attempted to watch a full race I would fall asleep. I prefer my courses bendy :) 
    The F1 guys have raced at Indianapolis the past couple of years on the track inside the oval and a couple of the banked curves but that's the closest they'll get.

I think the team that needs a good boot up the arse has to be Toyota, they've got the money, they've got half decent drivers that have been with them a while, they've got a good technical staff and yet they've had no good results at all, it is very disappointing. It does show however that in F1 you can't just throw money at a team and expect to win, you have to work at it!

I agree with Rabidyak about BMW, also impressed with Kubica's performance this year, its a shame everyone seems to forget there are other promising rookie drivers who aren't Lewis Hamilton!

11. Scourge_151

OMG!! Did you see Taku taking Alonso! Never thought I'd see the day!

But seriously, Lewis Hamilton gets his first F1 win after his 6th race EVER in an F1 car, superb drive considering how much was going on in the race and how many times he had to sit and crawl along behind the safety car. Very well done boyo!!

Also great to hear that Robert Kubica is OK after that really awful crash, will he be up to racing at Indy though?

*edit* turns out Robert has actually broken one of his legs and so he'll probably out for the rest of the season, very happy it wasn't anything worse.

12. RabidYak

Awesome race, most entertaining of the year so far.

I couldent believe how well Wurz and Sato did today. Surviving the almost constant carnage was achievement enougth, but giving Honda and Toyota a complete thrashing with thier own engines and finishing ahead of drivers being paid 5 times as much money deserves all sorts of credit.

The fact that Kubica got out with just a broken leg shows how safe the cars are thesedays, I can remember drivers getting worse then that from far less spectacular crashes.

13. Scourge_151

I was glad to see Taku not drive straight into the back of Alonso, as he is known to balls it up under pressure, but maybe being in a lower-tier team has helped him chill out a bit, glad that the Aguri boys get some more points under their belts.
    Great to see nick heidfeld up on the podium as well.

I think jenson was justifiably pissed off after his car failed to get off the grid, straight home for him after that iirc.

Stupid of fisi and massa to get black flagged though, a red light at the end of the pits is pretty clear really from where I sit.

14. Scourge_151

15. Scourge_151

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hl2pQfQRa5M&mode=related&search=
    wasn't wrong! As it turns out Robert didn't break his leg after all and is out of hospital now, he has a concussion and a sprained ankle.

WOW!

I dare say he may even be up for racing at Indy this weekend, these drivers really are tough.

Big credit to Tonio Liuzzi for missing Robert as he flew across the track in front of him too, he was working like mad not to hit anything big enough that'd have wrecked him as well.

16. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    f1 is big here, we have sepang.

could never get into it tho despite having associates into these things. tickets cost a bomb but thats not really the issue.

just not into the whole bit of hanging around sun drench with throngs of people milling about. would chk out the babe action if i was still a bachelor i guess.

17. Scourge_151

I've been to two races so far, Silverstone last year and Montreal the year before (next to the wall everyone clips!) I can recommend it, you usually meet some really interesting people there, and the promotions girls are nice eye candy :wink:  .
    It is expensive but you do get to see all the support races as well and if you get a weekend ticket you do get a chance to see everything at the circuit, and you don't lose anything to the TV coverage as there are always big screens up by the grandstands so you don't miss out on any of the action.
    Also the speed and noise of the cars is something to behold in itself, TV doesn't do them justice!

Of the two I've been to I'd definitely say Silverstone was the best though, a LOT to do off-track like helicopter rides and driving experiences, as well as air displays.
    Montreal is great for the city though, track is just a short train ride away but it was very warm and humid in '05 which did drain me a lot so had to retreat from my stand seat to under a tree to chill and take on fluids.

If you haven't gone before KA you may as well go once to see what you think of it. Do bring someone else along though, I doubt I'd have had as good a time if I didn't have a friend with me at the races.