formatted my laptop - no sound?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Ghost Prime, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Ghost Prime

Ghost Prime Banned

ok so recently i got a very serious virus on my gfs laptop and i had to format it basically. I have everything up and running again aside from 2 problems

1. theres no sound
    2. it wont play movie files off Links to copyrighted material are not allowed here - 2005 Staff

i cant figure out why theres no sound aside from it must be a seprate sound card in the laptop but windows xp SHOULD have installed a close driver for it anyway shouldnt it? aside from taking the laptop apart how am i ment to find out which make the sound card is or anything so i can get the correct drivers for it?

also i cant for the life of me figure out why movie files off youtube.veoh or alluc anit working because i downloaded the latest flash movie player and all the new divx codecs....

any help would be good

2. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

Probably need to install the drivers for the sound card. If you have an internet connection, try updating the drivers by connecting to Windows Update

3. Ghost Prime

Ghost Prime Banned

how do i do that exactly? i cant remember 100% on everything as its been ages since i formatted and reintsalled stuff. I did the same on my tower roughly 5 months ago and my sound came on alright and thats a seprate sound card

4. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    I have the same problem on my PC. I have to uninstall then re-install the sound driver. This happens everytime I turn it off. May be something wrong with my sound card.

5. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Manufacturers website is always the first stop for drivers, go there and find the support and/or download sections for your model.

I woulden't even bother trying personally, automatically finding drivers on the internet for unknown devices hardley ever works in Windows of the 5 variety.

6. Ghost Prime

Ghost Prime Banned

ok i managed to get the sound BACK thanks to windows update and the device manager but i STILL cant seem to watch online videos?....

any ideas what might be up with that

7. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Try re-install macromedia Flash Player? That's what happened last time when my comp re-formatted.

8. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Stuff like youtube needs flash, actual video files and streams need whatever codecs they use installed.

9. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

Its possible you may have a pop up blocker turned on and you can't see the prompt to install the codec or player to view.

10. Ghost Prime

Ghost Prime Banned

can someone else check this because im getting pissed off now

http://www.veoh.com/channels/fsne?searchId=4246807684175364096&rank=1&offset=0

ive downloaded flash media player + divx and ive activeX sorted out and enabled and the pop-up blocker off yet no matter what i do it WONT play any files on the FATE STAY NIGHT channel in veoh.com
    i cant get any veoh movie files to load at all :-(

11. Ghost Prime

Ghost Prime Banned

ok im really confused now

ive installed the following

directX9
    divx
    actveX
    java
    Flash Media player
    windows update media player

yet NONE of these will play files off either sites

www.youtube.com
    www.veoh.com

can someone check to make sure the video files off veoh are working because i was half way threw the Fate Stay Night series and YouTube doesnt seem to have full episodes just mixed up 7 minute parts

12. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

13. Ghost Prime

Ghost Prime Banned

very funny but seriously how am I ment to see if there are any problems on the Veoh site UNLESS someone else checks on THERE computer.
    That way if its working on other peoples computers then there STILL must be a problem with my pc. Ive managed to get files to work off YouTube now but still Veoh files wont load.
    I just need afew people to check out the site and tell me if ANY of the videos are working or not