Forged grails?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ryan.j, Oct 30, 2009.

1. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

(I know there is a KO toys thread, but this is a more specific question. by all means merge away if you think it doesn't deserve it's own thread.)

I don't mean the usual KO dinobots/cassettes/g1 or the non-licensed products like heero's, i mean limited run forgeries of the very expensive figures being produced specifically to fool the big-money collectors. For example, if you had the skill and access to the equipment, surely it's not outside the realms of possibility to turn fairly ordinary minty skorponoks into black zarak with some dye, custom moulded components, a few stickers and a bit of careful tinkering.

I've heard about chromed fake lucky draws going for big cash, and clearly this sort of thing happens - where there is money to be made you'll find people willing to exploit it - but the murky world of serious collecting is a closed book to me. Are there guys turning out a couple of Fort Expensive a month? is buying these expensive toys as risky as it seems to noobz like myself?

2. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    You looking for ideas?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  3. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

haha, hardly. i'm far too busy (and honest!) to spend my time fucking about defrauding people :D 

i was curious because i've been toying with the idea of taking my collecting to the next level, uptil now i've bought toys that turned up on ebay and just wrote them off as toys but recently i've had some entirely more interesting bits and pieces offered to me, and i'm concerned i'll end up buying a load of worthless plastic thinking they're investments.

That and i find the whole topic of serious collecting fascinating. it does feel rather like an 'inner-circle' of collectors are playing an entirely different game to the rest of us.

4. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
  5. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    so far no g1 grails have been forged that i have heard of, but..............fort max is supposed to be forged next year