Customs: Ford Escape Alternator

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by chocula78, Jul 13, 2006.

1. chocula78

chocula78 Satellite Systems Engr TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Ok, I have never attempted a kitbash before so this is completely new territory for me. I know what I will need thanks to Ops was a Truk and his extensive advice.

I want to make a Ford Escape alternator. It's what I drive and there aren't any SUV alts out there. What alt should I bash? I am thinking Optimus Prime (gasp!) because a truck frame is similar to an SUV. In addition, OP was my favorite TF.

They sell diecast models of Ford Escapes on ebay, 1/24 scale just like an alternator. I was thinking it would be best to buy that for the alt mode body parts. I have access to my university's machine shop so I have extensive tooling resources for free.

Any help someone can give me specifically with this case would be most awesome.

2. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    First and foremost, I'd suggest trying to find a plastic model instead of using the metal Escape model. If you feel comfortable working with metal, than that's your thing. I just feel like plastic is more forgivable in terms of mistakes and/or redesigns.

The easiest way to judge if any of the Alternators will work as a reshell is to compare the wheels. If the four wheels on, say, the Silverstreak/Smokescreen mold match up well, I'd suggest using the robot parts from him.

Also, sketch out how you want elements of the design to transform, so that you've got an idea as to where the vehicle parts will go when so that they're out of the way in robot mode.

3. Primus_feather

Primus_feather Well-Known Member

why not do a Escape Limo, I've seen metal Versions at k-marts, they're white, so it could be Alt Magnus?

4. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    Definatly suggest a plastic model kit over a die-cast. Much easier to work with. As far as which alt. to base it off of. You may want to try Skids, he's kind of a SUV-ish kind of vehicle that'd be somewhat similar in size. If you do need a little longer wheelbase, his legs extend.

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Neat idea, however, if you've never made a kitbash before, I'd highly suggest NOT doing a reshell as your first bash. I've been 'bashing for almost 2 years now, and I've been working my way up to reshells and scratchbuilds, etc. for some time now. I've done small scratchbuild projects (click my sig and check out my TM Ricochet for an example [shameless plug, I know]).

An important lesson for starting anything new is baby steps. I've been an artist 90% of my life, and one reason I got into kitbashing was simply to improve upon my 3-D skills (I'll let others comment on that one, heh). During this time I've learned a LOT about patience and just flat out building up to things. Start with smaller projects and build yourself up to those reshells! Just advice, take it or leave it!

Regardless, you've got a WONDERFUL resource here in this forum (and other forums as well) with people who have TONS of experience who are more than willing to lend a helping hand! ;)  Whatever you venture to do, I wish ya well!

6. chocula78

chocula78 Satellite Systems Engr TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Your advice is all noted. I understand a reshell may not be the way to go for a first time basher, but I got time, money, resources and know how.

A white Escape Limo is nice, but I want a real looking one. Like I said, there are no SUV Alts. I will probably paint this red with the base trim being navy so that this bash would be OP.

I bought a die cast 1/24 escape off ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/1-24-FORD-ESCAPE-SUV-OFF-ROAD-DIECAST-MODEL-CAR_W0QQitemZ110006575836QQihZ001QQcategoryZ2509QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It's got the high level of detail I want with rubber wheels. I find working with metal to be more forgiving with bending. Plus, plastic toy cars feel so cheep to me.

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Oooo... thats gonna cut up nicely, I say go with skids.

8. Lobo

Lobo Well-Known Member

Tips I can offer.

1.) Figure out how you want the bot to look. With a reshell, it will most likely look like whatever Alt you chose in the bash. Go with the bot. Many things like wheelbase and width can be adjusted as needed.

2.) Be patient with it. Plan things out first in order to avoid rework. As you’re working over the Alt to fit in the model be sure to periodically fit it back into the model. You what to make sure you have a good fit and not remove too much of the Alts plastic.

3.) Plan out your glue points. Where you actually glue the Alternator to the model. You want to make sure you don’t glue over important hinges.

4.) When you go to fit the Alt with the model, line up the dash boards. This is the place that has the most action going on. Door mounts, windshield, hood, etc. usually all mount there. If you line them up right, there is a lot less scratchbuilding required.

5.) Cut the separation lines on the model AFTER you have it glued to the Alt. This leads to a much cleaner looking vehicle mode. Certain things like the doors and hood can be cut out first but save cuts like separating the legs until afterwards.

6.) Get some styrene. Get some flat pieces .02”-.08” for building hinges and filling gaps. Also get some rods of different sizes. Preferably some the fit inside of each other. You can use them for making pegs and joints.

Here’s a few reshell WIP threads at different boards:

Jaf's MP Jazz Follow Along

My Alt Grapple WIP

My Alt Kup WIP

All of them have good pics and descriptions.

Hope this helps!

9. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Lobo, do you mind if I copy those hints into the Exhaustive Kitbashers' thread at the top of the forum?

10. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    A re-shell is a pretty complex first kitbash but that's what I'm doing as well. I've done a bit of repainting and such but nothing major before this. All I have to say is take your time, do not rush it and it will turn out good. It's taken me a good few months and I'm still only halfway done, but I know it's going to turn out great since I've taken my time andplanned it all out. Thought about all the different parts of the transformation and I am working my way through it.

11. Omnus

Omnus needs more time TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm nothing more than a novice with kitbashing, but from people I've known who have worked with various materials I do know one thing: The material you should be working with is the one that you are have (or can get) the most knowledge of working with.

If you've done a good deal of metalworking before and are comfortable with it, then proceeding as you've planned is the best thing for you, regardless of what others say.

I say this because I knew a guy who was damn good with metalworking. I had quite literally seen him undo and redo things that would cause someone to have to toss out an equivalent change in wood or plastic. For him, metal was the most forgiving thing (for anything) he could use.

If you've just had some experience with metal working and not much with plastic, you might be able to find some surprising tips on how plastic can be made to be more forgiving than normal.

But, as I said before, if you've done a good deal of metalworking before...