FORCE FIVE Robot Anime Finally Sees OFFICIAL DVD Release!!

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by iron maniac, Aug 6, 2012.

1. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
  2. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Thanks for sharing. I will place a pre-order. I love early 80s anime.

3. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    What you'll be getting are bastardized versions of classic 1970's anime. Unless you lived in the VERY limited TV markets this package was distributed to in the 80s and have some serious nostalgia for the crappy versions, you will be much better served by hunting down the original shows.

Force Five - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There has never been, and will never be, an American repackaging of an anime that was superior to the original. I'm glad that things like Force Five, Robotech and Starblazers exposed a generation of kids to anime(because I was one of those kids) but, compared to the original shows, those versions are travesties.

4. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    What about Samurai Pizza Cats?

5. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    I have to admit I haven't seen that show in any incarnation but this line from the wiki entry makes me think my opinion is probably right on:

My opinion is based on my experience of watching the original versions of some of my favorite childhood shows and realizing how poorly(and dumbed down) they were presented back in the day. It's entirely possible that some re-packaged anime was turned into a great show, but I haven't experienced that.

6. RazorclawX

RazorclawX Campaign Oracle

Samurai Pizza Cats is often thought to be improved by its localization just by how much more fun and off the wall it was compared to what it was originally.

I know people rag on Robotech for this a lot, but that doesn't stop me from appreciating it all the same.

7. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Short answer: It's sort of like the Japanese Beast Wars dub, but in reverse. The localizers and voice cast had to pretty much rewrite the show from scratch with little to no background information other than the raw japanese dubs, and the result transforms a relatively boring and generic anime into a surreal, self-aware comedy that manages to completely sidestep, reinterpret, or outright mock the cultural tropes and context inherent in the Japanese version (context that had a negative impact on the finished products of some of the other localizations of the animes you mentioned earlier).

8. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I don't think anyone is comparing here. I watched these as a kid before I even knew what the hell dubbing was.
    If you know of a Dangard Ace set in original Japanese with English subs please let me know, they simply don't exist. Believe me I have been looking for years. I own most of the originals with subs, where available.