For you, how much is "Too Much" to Spend on a TF?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Bakushan, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Bakushan

Bakushan Well-Known Member

So as most of you know, I am super new here. I have been running around on the TFW forums like a chicken with my head cut off. In the last few days I have:

-Purchased a Nixon Display Case to convert in a TF Showpiece Box
    -Bought 10 TF Toys, including a MP Thundercracker, G1 Grapple, G1 Inferno in Box, G1 Jetfire, G1 Soundwave and some G1 Cassettes.
    -Made several trips to Target/Walmart/Toys R Us/Vintage Toys to look/see TF Toys.
    -Read Wikipedia / TFWF2005 / ShMax / BBTS Store Inventory / TFS Inventory
    -Made 100 Posts on the TF2005 Forums

You guy's dont know me, but I do facebook, social media and graphics for a living. This means I am in the computer seat 60 hours a week, and I am self employed. Such reckless abandon gives me both dispensable income and a lot of free time...

And as I have browsed these forums, and got to reading the many comments and threads from some of the 70,000+ Members I began to see a very obvious difference in some members approach to collecting. Which is where I get to the main point and question of this thread:

For you, how much is too much to spend on a Transformers figure?

• I see some people are bargain hunters.
    • I see some people dont want to spend more than $30 a figure.
    • I see some people willing to wait on a US MP Soundwave to save $100, even though they have no way to know if a MP Soundwave will ever be released by Hasbro in the US.
    • I see some people who have been waiting 28 years for the opportunity to spend 170 on a MP quality Soundwave, and have already pre-purchased.
    • I see some people who think $200+ territory is a BIG DEAL.
    • I see some people who think that a $600+ 3rd Party Devastator Clone is totally worth it.
    • I see some people who dont have $600 in a collection that has been 5 years in the making.
    I guess the point is, that it goes without saying that we are all different. We are all in different places in life, with different amounts to spend, and different ideas of the level of important this hobby means to us. None is right or wrong, it just is what it is.

So, what is it? What is your limit? Why?

2. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For a single figure, my limit is normally around £50. This obviously limits me as to what I can get, but it's a limit that I'm happy with.

3. wm10k

wm10k Reanimator of Dead Things

depends...what is on the market, what is coming out and how much do I have to spend.

it always fluctuates and so do my buying habits. Lately I have been trying to narrow it down though. I'm hoping to have a nice Prime collection once that line/show has run its course and I also hope to slowly build up my 3rd party cybertronians. By that I mean I intend to buy 3rd party when the figures don't reflect an earth mode (not-menasor may break me on that). I don't own any Masterpieces as of yet but I do plan to get Sideswipe and if possible a few more MP cars. I MIGHT dip into the MP decepticons but i'm not sure. I would only really want MP Combaticons or Stunticons and I'm not sure I see that happening.

So....it varies. I don't buy a whole lot but a single item might cost me close to $100 or more with import costs figured in.

4. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It depends on the figure for me. I just finished herc, and am gonna shoot for MP Grimmy next. It's all about how bad I want something.

5. scoobsterinc

scoobsterinc Scoobs

News Credits:
    Depends on the figure if its a rare (or masterpiece) figure im willing to pay over £50 for it but if it isnt I will wait until I can find it cheaper but I dont buy 3rd party since I cant afford it

6. [soundwave]

[soundwave] Communications

News Credits:
    I would say so long it doesn't affect your everyday life, such as bills, loans, meals etc, it's healthy.

However, when you find that you are sacrificing things for toys or hobbies, that's when you need to get some money management. :) 

7. JetFormers

JetFormers « Ultima Ratio Hecate »

News Credits:
    100 or less, I'm not much of a 3rd party collector since I'm still currently in school so I don't tend to shell out that much money unless it's something exclusive, like SDCC Bruticus though I didn't purchase him I think he would be well worth the money, and I can also deal with Takara's imports at most time just as long as it's not 55 bucks for a single deluxe.

8. SurlyJ

SurlyJ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    $200 is kind of where I draw the line on single toys, and that's only for particularly spectacular, out of production toys. The only time I broke that rule was for 20th anniversary voltron, on which I spent $250 shipped. Generally though, $60-100 is where I draw the line for most in production toys. I'm making an exception for MP-11 and MP-13

9. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    I don't have that many figures. I'm definitely not a mainline completist [bar Animated]. I've got an income on my own. The market in my area\country is so poor it's never stocked beyond wave 01-3 of a line.

That being said, I haven't set a limit on myself yet, for single figures. Because I don't buy that often and rarely impulse-buy, I have the money to get me a nifty figure. And only buying one masterpiece at a time, it doesn't look like a big hit either way.

Of course, it's MUCH easier to stomach such prices if you're a collector of other high-end figures. I believe the most I've spent ever, on a single purchase, was over 600 USD at the time for a HT Wolf Predator & BD Predalien. So compared to that, a USD 164 shipped MP11 Starscream is nothing.

10. SurlyJ

SurlyJ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah I'm just getting into hot toys. I ordered Loki as my first, but did a payment plan on it. There is a $400 colossus statue I really want, but time will tell whether I eventually pull the trigger.

11. Mind2wipe

Mind2wipe Mind-ass-wipe

Ebay:
    For me the biggest deal are actualy iGear MP coneheads, those are like 500 usd for all 3 and thats maximum i would spend on this 3 figures and i hope i wont do that again. Atm i payed 70 usd max for MP Skywarp. Usualy im around 10-30 usd for figure. But i love second end of this scale. I got loose Movie Leader Optimus for 3 usd on ebay :D  in excelent condition.

12. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Depends on the figure - I'll pay whatever I think something is worth.

13. seali_me

seali_me Well-Known Member

Step out of the stupid fandom mindset then you'll see that spending more than 10$ on a useless toy is just pure stupidity.

Step back inside, I find more than 5X the previous one is just too much.

The most I spent on a figure is MP04 and TFC Devastator. Just budget it.

14. Trent

Trent Froody

News Credits:

^^This

Good thing we're not outside the fandom then isn't it?

15. Surge

Surge Village Dolt

News Credits:
    Approx. $100 for that piece of shit-looking ROTF Devastator. No thanks.

16. seali_me

seali_me Well-Known Member

I assume that the battle between both sides is always in the back of our minds. At least, I hope so.

17. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    depends on the figure, retail price, rarity, how much money i have at the time, etc. collecting g1, and japanese g1, not really a set limit, more limits i place on certain figures

18. AnAutobot1985

AnAutobot1985 Well-Known Member

I used to think 50-75 dollars was a lot for a figure. Now I have no problem with 100ish or so. I guess my limit might be a few hundred. I can't seem to get myself to buy a Maketoys Giant or TFC Hercules. I'd love both! Must have at least one. But oh the price...

19. TheJackal

TheJackal Banned

$1000 is where i draw the line!!

20. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    really depends on what you're into, I guess. and like you said, you're personal access to disposable income.

the $200 mark for me has to be something really special. I'm willing to pay it, but it's usually something that's going to limit my collecting, at least for that month. this is pretty much concentrated to TT imports since I don't really do 3P and hasbro doesn't often, if ever, break the 99.99 USD mark.

for domestic stuff though, my prices vary. I'm willing to pay $15 a pop for the gdo deluxes, but not willing to pay that or above for the prime/rid deluxes. just my opinion but I think you're paying more for less there. I also ALWAYS try to find the best deals on domestic toys. a local chain called meijers by me still has prime/rid & foc deluxes for 12.99 so that's where I shop for deluxes now. I don't buy my botshots at TRU because they're a buck higher for single packs there, and quite a few bucks higher for multipacks and launchers. I always try to find the best deal when it comes do domestically released toys, and like seali says, "rebates" always help :)