For Walk-In's at BotCon

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by FortressMaximus1976, Apr 27, 2007.

1. FortressMaximus1976

FortressMaximus1976 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I was planning on going to Botcon this year since Im only an hour and half away, but with taking on a new rent and other expenses, I'm not so sure I'll be able to swing it. Me and a buddy have been taking about going up since it was announced last Sept that it would be in Providence.

My question is, I would assume walk-ins are only for Saturday and Sunday, so that would cut out the Thursday and Friday events, but are walk-ins able to go to panels such as the Hasbro one, etc? Do walk-ins get a badge or something to get in to these panels or does it matter? I'm sure there is a post about this somewhere else, but I'm at work, and can't do too much searching right now. Thanks guys

2. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Jes, walk-ins can attend panels. But I believe they are made to wait until after all the pre-reg people have gone into the room before they can head inside (which can be amusing when there is copious seating available + no line-up, but still 10 minutes until the panel itself).

3. FortressMaximus1976

FortressMaximus1976 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I would imagine then that the Protoform package may not be worth it then if all you really want to do is get on the sales floor and attend panels, which a walk-in can do anyway. I guess the only drawback there is you miss whatever is going on
    Thursday and Friday

4. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If Protoform is the one that's Primus Package-sans-toys, then it's really not worth it IMO. Triple-digits without the box set or the dinner is kind of a waste. You -still- don't get in on the Dealer Room preview on Friday either, if I recall correctly.

Mini-con is somewhat worth it, but you need to then find someone who's not yet pre-regged but plans to.

5. Swoop Dogg

Swoop Dogg me King!

News Credits:
    Obviously, this is just my opinion, but I don't feel that you should go as a walk-in. That's what I did last year in Lexington and I didn't like it. For example, the Hasbro panel started roughly the same time as the walk-ins were being admitted to the show - the walk-in line was long and it went REAL SLOW so many of us missed out or were late for that panel. Also, if you want them, autographs are extra. I just didn't have a good time - I felt like all I did was go to a hyped up flea market for Transformers. I also felt like a second class citizen there.

If you got to Botcon, go as a pre-registerant - it's only worth it that way (in my opinion).

6. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My wife was a walk-in last year and she attended every single panel w/ me and no one ever said a word. Then again, I'm guessing on hotel rooms booked alone that this year will be much bigger than 2006 meaning stricter enforcements. That said, I ponyed up the extra $85 for my wife this year and got her the Mini-Con package to assure she could attend everything with me, including the Hasbro tour...which we were both confirmed for the other day (thanks Christine @ FP!)

7. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I was going to do a walk-in, but I hate long lines. Especially if I am going to be by myself. I guess there is always next year.

8. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

Heck, as close as you are, it's certainly worth going as a walk-in!

It's costing other people hundreds, if not over a thousand dollars to attend this show and you can day trip and get in for $10... And you are questioning whether it's worth it???

It will be years before another show is this close to you. Grab a couple of friends to chip in for gas and come out for a day.

9. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Seconded. I wouldn't even think twice about that.

If the bigger packages are absolutely out of the question, and you live that close to the show, a walk-in is a no-brainer. Who cares about the wait in line? That's just the nature of the beast, but for 10 dollars to walk in to Botcon, yes don't think just do it.

10. rework

And frankly, a lot of the lines are only when you have to be "first" for everything. 15 minutes after the dealer room opens, there's no line. If you don't need front and center seating for a panel, you can avoid a lot of the lines... Autographs and such - Well, there's no beating some of the lines....

11. Swoop Dogg

Swoop Dogg me King!

News Credits:
    I was in the walk-in line last year and it was well past 15 minutes after the dealer room opened before I got in there. More like 40 minutes at least. Maybe they'll fix that this year. Who knows?

12. rework

OK.... 45 minutes after it opens there's no line!

Actually that kind of sucks, but I don't doubt it. MC does not manage lines very well and IMHO they do not value the attendee's time very much. They are happy to just let you stand in line for long periods of time.

I think it took me over an hour to check in on Thursday evening and we were the 3rd dealers in line.

13. Prowl2000

Prowl2000 Keep it sealed TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    My sister, wife and a couple friends are planning on Walking in on Saturday. We're all looking forward to it. We're not sure if we want to come back for Sunday or just spend that 10 bucks on Sam Adams.

14. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

I can not stress enough how much people should take Rework's advice on this. People need to stop the pointless obsession with being first for everything. Show up fashionably late and get there a half hour or so after the doors open. You won't miss out on much if anything, and you're less likely to have to stand in a line. You'll probably end up getting in around the same time either way.

15. Swoop Dogg

Swoop Dogg me King!

News Credits:
    I never said I wanted to be first last year. I could care less. In fact, I did come "fashionably late" last year - and I STILL waited in line for 40+ minutes.

I don't mind waiting in line for a little bit - I just expect that it would move at a decent pace. That didn't happen last year. I've been in way longer lines for other events that moved faster. But like I said earlier, maybe they will do a better job this year.

I think people should make an attempt to go to a Botcon at least once. I just don't think they should do it as a walk-in - it is not worth it. Pre-registering is the way to go.

Just my opinion.