For us older fans, are vintage g1/reissues toys still fun to play with?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Shin Densetsu, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Well most of us here grew up with transformers in the 80's and obviously loved them(I assume thats why most of us are here after all).

Now its been more than 2 decades, and a ton has changed; engineering and technology and newer ways to make toys. Full articulation is a standard on almost all modern transformers nowatdays.

Now of course there is the saying "nothing beats the originals". There is also irreplaceable nostalgia and good memories of opening our first transformers.

But to you guys and gals who grew up with tfs back then and are older now, are the old g1 toys/reissues still doing it for you? Or are they simply not fun anymore in the midst of the modern transformers like classics/masterpiece/alternators?

I respect the g1 toys for what they were and no doubt, they were fun as heck to play with when I was younger, but nowatdays, I rarely take them out of the reissues boxes and my classics, alternators/binaltech and masterpiece get more love.

Now for me, I love playing with old ARAH gijoes, bandai 1/55 VF1 Valkrie toys from Macross and beast wars era figures and up sans beast machines and armada.

I noticed that as I grew older starting when I was 11 or so, I started craving more articulation.

So perhaps with me, and some of you, articulation and better sculpts were what we wanted. I mean the bandai 1/55 had high articulation for its time and even now it has very good articulation. The classics figures are just as articulated if not more articulated than beast wars and the last waves of g2 figures(you guys should have seen me the first time I realized laser rod prime was the first superposeable prime in a leader pricepoint, thats history right there fellas!). I guess the newer toys have given me everything I wanted out of the g1 toys but never got.

So for me articulation is important. And I suppose thats why I don't play with my g1 reissues that much. For example comparing my reissue thundercracker to the classics seekers, the classics are just more fun to play with to me. Nonetheless, the reissue holds a special place in my heart, as it is g1 and a reissue of a toy I wanted a lot as a child.

For the most part, g1 vintage and reissues is "brickville" but they are the originals.
    To me they are fun but the newer toys are more fun. Still each holds an important place.

So what do you all think?Discuss!

2. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    It depends on the character and how much you like the character. I just got a vintage Hot Rod and love it, for it's day it had a complicated transformation which was nice and the nostalgia factor adds to the enjoyment. Some toys age worse than others, like Rodimus Prime, Throttlebots, and combiner parts. But things like multi-changers, especially Sixshot, are still fun since modern triple changers still dont hold a candle to the originals like Astrotrain or Blitzwing. And figures like Soundwave have gimmicks so unique and playable that they're hard to age.

3. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

I was two when TF came out, and had many older bros, so by all means I grew up playing with the original Transformers. UM, Inferno, Prime, Menasor, I had a lot when I was a kid. Sadly over time I've lost track of most of them, but all the ones I had and loved I started hunting down again. And though I do love the newer, better articulated, more detailed sculpted figures, the old G1 stuff is still just as damn fun to play with. I fiddle with my RiD Ruination repaint of Bruticus and my Re-issue Jazz and Soundwaves just as much as my Energon Bruticus and other newer bots. Classics Grimlock, Energon Grimlock and Swoop and G1 Sludge go surprisingly well together seeing as they're the last remaining Dino-bots I have. And what's left of my G1 Prime proudly stands tall amongst my newer, more detailed and articulated bots. And I have further plans to collect more G1 toys that I think look cool or that I know were fun, despite how 'outdated' some can be. But as long as they look good in both modes and transform fully, it's all good to me.

4. Tech Spec

Tech Spec Breeze Loo

News Credits:
    My G1's are in heavy rotation at home. The newer stuff is cool too, but G1's will always :rock 

5. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    I find toy design and engineering fascinating. TFs just seem to get better all the time--Cybertron, Alternators, and Classics have been Hasbro's best TF toys to date for overall production quality. And I can't wait for Ultimate Bumblebee--looks like it might actually challenge 20th Anniv Prime as one of the best TF toys ever.

A lot of the G1 toys were blocky and kiddish, but I still love them for nostalgia's sake. They bring out the child in me. So, yes--they're still fun to play with.

6. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I love all of my TF's. (is why I collect them)

Ones like Alts and Classics are really great toys and are fun to play with, but just because a toy is not as complex doesn't mean it's not a fun toy. (look at a ball) I make no secret about how Micromasters were one of my favorites of G1 just cause they were simple and small.

7. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i like both brick and the modern articulated stuff and despite the differences both are fun to me, evident at least in my funnies.

only thing that keeps me from fiddling with em more is lack of time these days.

8. Kranix2k

Kranix2k Spare me this mockery!! TFW2005 Supporter

My G1's are pretty much display pieces...trophy case kinda things. I love em but dont have much desire to mess with them too much. The articulation of the newer toys kinda wins out when it comes to holding my attention and interest.

9. 138 Scourge

138 Scourge WE R 138

Depends on the figure, I suppose. I was dissapointed by reissue Prowl, who I remembered as being a favorite from back in the day.

But my Universe Ruination is still fun to play with...while the figures don't quite measure up to today's standards, I still really like Onslaught, Vortex and Blast-Off, and it's fun to have the whole set to mess with. Ditto for the Awesome Knockoff Sixbuilder I've got.

But the best reissue I have...the Powermaster Prime. He rules, and is still one of my favorite TFs (if not my very favorite). There's just so much awesomness to that toy, even if he has hardly anything in the way of articulation.

So, yeah, still fun, even compared to thier newer, fancier bretheren.

10. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

Absolutely, to answer the question. G1 is what I focus on these days more than anything. With a general lack of interest in the movie toys, I'll be able to fulfill that end of the hobby even more.

I'm more of a collector/displayer than a "fiddler" anyway, so articulation is low on the totem pole for me.

11. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

You know, I currently don't even own any G1 that wasn't one of my originals back in the day. I found that I don't so much enjoy the G1 toys as I enjoy reliving childhood memories of my particular G1 toys. I have way too much fun with modern toys doing photo shoots and making up battle scenarios and creating little scenes with them. The old ones are like wonderful little packages of memories strewn about my room, reminding me where I came from. The new ones are the ones I have fun with just for the sake of having fun.

12. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Well, the only old TFs I still have from my childhood are Powermaster Prime (just the cab) and Grimlock. They're nice display pieces, but they don't come close in terms of playability to the new stuff. I could still see younger children enjoying them a lot, though, as articulation wouldn't be a big a deal and the difficulty of their transformations is just right for a young person (around 4-8 year olds, I guess).

13. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

For the most part, they're not as fun to play with as the newer toys, which are more articulated, more durable, and usually packed with as many or more features. I still think they're a lot of fun, though. I especially have way too much fun with G1 Megatron. Certain figures, like G1 Ravage, still impress me today, even next to the newer toys.

14. Trek

Trek Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have a spare Blaster, Twincast(reissue) and Soundwave on my desk along with several Minibots and Cassettes. Otherwise the rest of my G1 Collection is in storage. Every so often I transform one of these (and I regret not getting a second Soundblaster Reissue).

15. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

Thats a good question indeed. While I've definitely been getting into toys like Classics and such, I still think G1 had some good toys that they might not be getting credit for, granted the originals were a lot more fragile and didnt last quite as long, however one thing I'm not to fond of are the looks of tfs these days, up until the Classics with the past few lines all we got were futuristic looking automobiles and they all had stupid gimmicks like linking or planet keys or whatever else, not to mention the excessive kibble, I'm sick of seeing figures that have seats or doors hanging off of there arms or carrying backpacks, seems like asethetically wise, I still like G1, and of course the charachters I think were a lot better and fleshed out, so I guess I'm a fan of both, but I think both have there flaws.

16. Orion Paximus Prime

Orion Paximus Prime Banned

I definitely am more apt to pull out a g1 fig to mess with over a later line figure... I say that with the exception being a titanium or classics fig meant to represent a g1 figure.

17. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Hell yes they're still fun to play with. I really enjoy the more complex transformations of todays Transformers, but every once in awhile I just want to fiddle with something and not use my entire brain...minibots are perfect for that:D 

18. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    I love the G1 stuff, they oftentimes more fun to play with than the newer stuff. G1 Powermaster Prime has tons of playability and looks good in all modes. I even wouldn't mind modern bricks (like Energon Wing Saber) if they were well done. G1 Powerm

19. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

My G1 Reissues are pretty much display only. They're great figures, but I display them in a different room than the rest of my collection. I guess I could change that since I got a new shelf unit.

20. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I, for one, do not collect gen1 for a few reasons.
    1. I don't have the money.
    2. they are not available in the retail stores
    3. While I can appreciate the look and aesthetic of a complete GEN1 collection, I don't really like the individual figures as most look like bricks.

One of the reasons why I got back into collecting Transformers was the new possibility and look of the figures. I even passed on the chance to by the reissues when they came out, but regrettably could not bring myself to shell out the cash.

That being said, If I had the money, I would certianly shell of the cash for a complete gen1 collection in a heartbeat.