For those who love and respect swords of all kinds

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by damian_1349, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

And, here are the pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:
    I have a few. :) 

my_weapons_collection_by_littlekunai-d9nplsk.jpg

3. Mark

Mark Just here for the toys

Ebay:
    Flickr:
    Interesting. I didn't realize the nuance of the hooks. Anyway, I'm pretty sure the GOT people are familiar with just about every edged weapon that existed - they have based everything on real-world cultures and weapons.

4. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    The shotel is another interesting animal (so to speak). There's a wicked beauty with a nicely curved blade.

GOT is kinda all over the map when it comes to the level of arms and armor. Westeros is your standard European Middle Ages stuff, Braavos features Renaissance level epees / estocs / rapiers (I believe), while Essos has a lot of Egyptian / Bronze Age level stuff (with the Dothraki subbing in as the Mongols except the Dothraki don't believe in wearing armor of any kind and see wearing it as being cowardly).

Nice. I recall that Hanwei / Paul Chen produced a Zatoichi-like Bamboo sword with the blade "hidden" inside a cane made to look like a bamboo stalk (with a button catch that locks/unlocks the blade). Looks similar to it, I think, though I believe it's no longer in production (could be wrong though).

Do I spy Mugen's sword from Samurai Champloo? :D 

5. Rodimus74

Rodimus74 Well-Known Member

Not a collector but you guys have some cool stuff. I always liked the Kurgan sword from Highlander.

6. Raiju

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    Not sure how practical it'd be given has a hilt and blade that can be disassembled into separate pieces for easier storage and transport, but the Kurgan sword is pretty cool, agreed, especially with the spring-loaded quillions that pop out at the base of the guard.

Still, I'd imagine the blade structure would be seriously compromised given its design. Definitely a case where realism takes a backseat to movie prop magic, I think, same with swords that have more than one blade (that three-bladed thing pictured above, Kadaj's double-bladed katana from Final Fantasy: Advent Children, etc.). It reminds me of those joke memes of Kylo Ren's lightsaber having like 20 blades coming out the hilt. :lol 

7. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

I did say maybe.

The Dothraki are a best of highlights reel of Eurasian steppe horse peoples (minus a couple things). The only thing about them that comes from the Mongols is that their leaders are called Khal aka Khan. Their of using whips to entangle people is from the Huns. The tattoos as a sign of status is from the Scythians. Although Martin left out the heavily armoured cataphracts that most steppe peoples had, and the Amazons. Plus a rapier can fight off most kinds of swords featured in the GoT universe. It's kind of what it was developed to do.

8. Raiju

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    I figured the Huns fit in there somewhere but couldn't be sure what facets about them that the GURM borrowed for the Dothraki. :D 

9. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

The one you are talking about does look very similar to the one I have. Here is is another view of it:
    [​IMG]

I read the description for the Hanwei one and it seems very comparable to what I have. It definitely seems good enough to decapitate someone if needed, lol.

10. Venixion

News Credits:

Yes. :) 

11. Venixion

News Credits:

That is beautiful.