For those who care, if any. A review on Nic Cage's "Knowing".

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Red Frenzy, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Red Frenzy

Red Frenzy Its madness He's 100% RED

Okay, I didn’t see a thread for it so if your curious about the movie and would like a opinion, or to make a comment, take a read.

So I got talked into seeing this movie by a big Nostradamus buff and let me tell you if that's what you are thinking this movie will be like think again. It has predictions but they are thrown in your face, no guess work here, it’s a simple number order problem that even a grade school kid could figure out. IN FACT the predictions were made by a grade school kid so there is some kind of irony in that somewhere. Anyways, so how was the movie? Well, let's just lay this out on the table. The movie was okay, perhaps just a step above okay. Well okay for a Nicolas Cage movie anyways. The disasters are what you would expect, over-dramatic effects heavy scenes of nail-biting carnage, if your into that kind of thing. To quote the opinion of a guy sitting behind me after a suspenseful plane crash scene, "Whoo wee". Was it an amazing spectacle of cinematography? Was it total waste of a few million dollars? Well no not really, it was just....alright. You see things that I don't think have been seen before and some things you wish you hadn’t and then there are things where you just turn to the person next to you and say "Dude, what the f**k was that?"

Overall it's a movie about the end of the world, if you haven’t already guessed. Is that really apparent in the trailers? They make it out to be something along the lines of a mystery or like "The Da Vinci Code" full of clues and riddles. But that’s not it really, it’s more like a family drama meets disaster flick with a touch of Sci-fi. Once you figure out what’s going on it's kind of a letdown, you know what’s going to happen at the end, then you realize it all has a religious undertone and wonder, “Where did that come from?” or at least I did.

Anyways, it’s hard to recommend a movie that‘s just alright. I doubt anyone will go just for Nic Cage so that doesn’t make for a good opinion. The effects are spotty at best, I can personally say I have never seen such unrealistic fire effects in my entire movie going life and that‘s kind of sad for a $50 million dollar picture. I have to admit though, I didn’t leave this movie with anything important to think about, aside from the plot holes and logic of the story. However, I did leave with a serious lack of faith in the continuing existence of humanity and I don’t think that’s the message the filmmakers were trying to get across. So if your going to see “Knowing” go with an open mind, I guess. But if I could offer a counter measure to paying the $8-$10 dollar admission price: Just know that in 5 billion years the sun will supernova and all life on this planet will be eradicated anyway, so take heart in Knowing (pun intended) that we will all be long dead by the time that happens, or just wait for the DVD/download it, whatever works for you.