For those that complain about video game prices...

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Human Beastbox, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    ...there's this great article I found: An inconvenient truth: game prices have come down with time

Factoring in inflation, games are actually cheaper than ever in most cases. Kind of like how VHS tapes in the 80s at one point were close to $100 a movie.
    Now we get DVDs and Blu-Rays for fractions of that.

It's cool to have an opinion validated by interweb writers, isn't it? :D 

2. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Good luck getting the whiners to listen, all of that stuff is staggeringly obvious to anyone with half a clue and some of us have been trying to tell them that for years.

3. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, and then there's the guys who wonder why people get mad when they just briefly mention how they pirated a game and say its no big deal.

4. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    For me, it's never been solely about the price tag. But, in this day and age, when the big squeeze is being put on you at every turn, the value of the cost of a game has gone way down. It just seems games are being built anymore to squeeze money from you after the initial purchase instead of making the initial product desirable enough to spend the cash on. That's obviously not the case for all studios, but it's certainly trending that way.

I've personally found much greater value in the downloadable titles that have been coming out. For my money, I've been getting more enjoyable experiences that have stayed in my gaming rotation for months at a time. Plus it gives me the chance to show support for truly independent game creators, like the guys who made Joe Danger.

5. Ratchet2007

Ratchet2007 Neither Here Nor There

News Credits:
    I don't mind paying £40 for a video game nowadays tbh

6. Mixmaster

Mixmaster logh ghot SIS yoD TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I remember splashing out £50 for Sonic 3 and then £60 for Sonic and Knuckles in 1994. Good times.

7. Spartan-117

Spartan-117 Well-Known Member

£40 or £50 is still a lot of money from my perspective regardless of how cheap it might be compared to back in the day.
    Personal example here: I share a flat with my brother. It costs on average, £20 per month to keep us supplied with leccy. That does for playing the Xbox, running the lights, the tv, the shower, the cooker etc etc every day for an entire month.
    Compare that to dropping £40 on a brand new game with between 6 and 8 hours of play time.
    Does that really make me a "whiner" to find that expensive?

8. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

I'll pass this on to the team :) 

9. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    they don't factor in DLC and online fees though.

Today's games can easily top $100 if you purchase all the extra content and pay for Live.

10. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    *recals the days when add-on packs often costed about 50% the original games RRP*

they are cheaper I recall throwing down quite a bit on Worms 1 back in the day.

11. Spartan-117

Spartan-117 Well-Known Member

Cheaper still doesn't mean they aren't too expensive or lacking in value for people.

12. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't complain about the cost of games but I am more selective when it comes to buying games at full price. The sheer number of man hours that go into making AAA quality games is astounding. I consider myself lucky to get a quality gaming experience lasting 20+ hours for $60.

13. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Don't buy them then, games arn't a necessity or right.

14. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    £40 is less than they used to be - Megadrive Virtua Racing, anybody?

15. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    I bought my PS1 copy of X-Men vs. Street Fighter for £45 from HMV (of all places) and that was like 12 years ago. I think in the UK since at least 1996 we've generally always had the same RRP for our games.

Saying that when the Xbox 360 launched some games were priced as high as £60.

16. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

the thing that gets me these days is micro transactions and dlc. most of the time it's awesome value added to the game post release, for example this zombie nonsense with red dead.

but sometimes, you're paying somewhere around £5 to unlock stuff that was already on the disc, or more to download content/levels from a game that were held back specifically. these instances annoy me, as they are specifically designed to get at your wallet.

in assassins creed 2, i think levels 12 & 13 are dlc. when you get to that part of the game, a character tells you something like "these files are corrupted! maybe we can come back to these later, after you shell over some moon monies and download them"

ssf4 was nicely priced, but they're recouping that with costumes and shit. i do agree that a lot of the best games i've played in recent times have been psn/xbla titles.

17. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Please do, that games is hella fun. And tell them to get cracking on their next release. :D 

18. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It used to take tiled pixeled bricks to build a castle and we'd be ok with that. Now it takes an artist drawing a texture for every individual face to keep repetition from showing up, otherwise the critics will tear it apart. Now apply this to a game like Fallout. And we're just talking graphics... This doesn't factor in the same attention to sound and animation. 60 bucks ain't shit. Some games aren't worth half of that, but those that are, I don't mind paying it.

19. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

yeah for reals. but does this mean the blade kitten designers owe US money?

20. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Didn't they all pretty much get fired?