For Those Of You Who Are Loose Collectors...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Parsox, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Parsox

Parsox Lieutenant

Is it ultimately less expensive to buy a vintage bot that is complete (meaning all weapons and parts...not paperwork, box etc) or get a bot from a lot or by itself and piece it together??? Thoughts...

thanks
    parsons

2. Master Megatron

Master Megatron Action Bastard

It usually saves a lot of hassle if you try to get it as complete as possible.

3. Moonstreaker

Moonstreaker The Evil Triplet

Ebay:
    Agreed, but I would buy a nice minty fresh toy that is missing excessories and then piece it together than buy a complete one that has more wear. But not everyone is as anal about quality as I am.

4. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

If you are planning to do it all over the intenet, and your goal is a complete toy, you are best off just buying it complete. It's pretty rare when you can piece it together youself cheaper. People know how valuable parts are and the prices reflect that. Plus you end up with multiple shipping charges.

Now if you have a source for cheap parts - Maybe a local comic store that will give you good deals - You can try it the other way, but I'd suggest securing the part before buying the incomplete toy.

5. The Crazy Collector

The Crazy Collector Well, that's just Prime! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Not only that, but you would not believe the amount of time that you can invest in trying to hunt down all of the accessories you need, and even then, you're not gaurenteed to find them.

6. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

It is extremely difficult, but not impossible, to find accessories for some figures. Obviously the more popular ones are easy to come by, like Prime's rifle, but it's when you get into things like Shockwave's battery cover, does it become a bit more complicated.

7. Hi Q

Hi Q I don't want a user title

News Credits:
    I usually pass on incomplete figures, unless the figures by themselves are already hard to find in the first place. My AM Tracks and AM Sideswipe are not complete, but I went for them anyway.

8. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

I can understand that with those particular toys. They are hard to find at any level of completeness. And most Action Master figures by themselves look pretty good even without accys.

9. tarheels

tarheels Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you like a challenge and have extra money to spend, then buy an incomplete loose figure, But it is easier to just buy a complete figure and will cost less money in the long run.

10. GladiatorPrime

GladiatorPrime working on Rampage P2-V2

Usually if the Figure itself is in Good condition, I can live without the weapons! I got a G1 Terricon Hung-gar, looks like its never even been played with, but had nothing with it!

11. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I used to buy bots that were incomplete back when I was in high school b/c I didn't have any steady income. It was great to go through the process of finding parts/weapons to rebuild my tfs. That's how I completed my Abominus & Computron, and alot of older G1 bots I that I eventually sold off (would have been a big loss for me but since I got most of the bots free it was no biggy.) I wouldn't recommend BUYING anything incomplete unless you have the money, time, and patience to do so.