For Those Asking About the Area Surrounding BotCon 2009

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by G.B. Blackrock, Jan 7, 2009.

1. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    When BotCon 2009 was announced to be in Pasadena (where I've lived and/or worked for the past 11 years), I fielded a number of questions about what to expect in the surrounding area. What restaurants are good? What other hotels are available? What attractions should we go to? And so on. I promised to put together a list, which I've recently posted on my blog.

Although I certainly welcome comments here, I should note that I check in here less often than I do elsewhere. Besides, if you leave comments on the blog itself, others who want to go to BotCon, but who may not visit here, can also benefit.

The Unofficial BotCon 2009 Pasadena Survival Guide

2. King_Grimlock

King_Grimlock Well-Known Member

Thanks dude! Man I can't wait to hit some IN N OUT while I'm there!

3. G.B. Blackrock

News Credits:
    IN N OUT is indeed wonderful. Unfortunately, there really aren't any within walking distance of the Convention Center. There's one on Foothill that you can drive through (but beware of traffic and long lines!). You may find the one in Alhambra easier to drive to and eat more comfortably. Head a block or two east of the Convention Center, and turn right on Los Robles. Stay on that road until you enter Alhambra (a few miles). Turn left on Huntington, and take an immediate right onto the side street. You'll turn right again (again almost immediately) into the parking lot shared by Twohey's (another place I recommend, if you're looking to drive around) and In N Out.

There's also a good one in the Glendale Galleria, but that's even further away.

4. xZAOx

xZAOx Yep.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So just bring us some on your way to the convention :) 

5. G.B. Blackrock

News Credits:
    LOL. Actually, I live to the East. The two In N Outs I recommend are to the South and the West, respectively. And, sorry, I'm not about to fight the lines at that one on Foothill. I haven't bothered eating at that one yet!

6. flamingunicron

flamingunicron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yes, you guys haven't had a burger until you have had in-n-out. Well worth the wait.

7. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop! TFW2005 Supporter

Must print off and bring map.

8. Master Zarak

Master Zarak Emperor of Destruction

Ebay:
    How far is it (drive time) from LAX to Pasadena? Google maps says 35 minutes, but up to 1hr 40 min in heavy traffic. My flight would likely arrive on Thursday just after the noon hour.

9. G.B. Blackrock

News Credits:
    Assuming your plane lands at noon, and you have about an hour to get your luggage and car, you'll still be ahead of most rush hour traffic. If you expect about an hour, I expect you'll be okay. But rush hour starts around 3, for some reason, so a little delay in one area or another would probably make Google even more correct.

One thing to keep in mind. If you've got two (or in some cases three) people in your car, you can use the car pool lane. That could speed things up.

10. flamingunicron

flamingunicron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Then it wouldn't be heavy traffic around then but there would be people eating lunch or drving to lunch. I'd day maybe 35 to 45 to get there if you go straight around noon, and a little less as you move later in the afternoon.