For the married ones : how did you propose?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by megatroptimus, Jan 17, 2007.

1. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Okay Transgeaks, time to be romantic (inspired by Boo's thread). For those of you who are married, how did you propose?

Here's my own story. I proposed on Oct. 1st, 2005 in Vancouver at Richards on Richards with the help of the Proclaimers (Scottish band known for I'm gonna be 500 miles). I had contacted them a few months before the show and told them my plan, they agreed. So comes the big night, and during the set, they dedicated their song "Let's get married" to Emilie. So in front of everybody, on my knee, I proposed! After the show, we got to chat a bit with the Reids and Emilie had her picture taken with them. That was quite a thrill!

10.01.05 (proposal day)

[​IMG]

06.03.06 (wedding day)

[​IMG]

2. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    That's pretty cool! No way I'd have been able to propose in front of anybody. I was nervous enough as it was.

Wifey there looks very beautiful. You, eh, not too bad...:p 

3. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    We just kind of agreed to do it one day, nothing romantic about it at all. She didn't WANT me to propose, it's an archaic ritual to her.

It's cool though, because my girl is against diamonds (due to the diamond mine horrors) and she's also against engagement rings, as she feels they are symbols of a man owning a woman.

So, no ring for me to buy=AWESOME.

4. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

During the third song of a "mini gig" my band was playing.

In the middle of the song I stopped singing, the band kept playing and I pulled a ring box out of my pocket and proposed - Susan started crying and wouldn't come up on stage so I had to wade through people to get to her - obviously she said yes.

We already knew we were going to get married pretty soon (she was pregnant only a few months) but I had not formally proposed yet.

5. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    We're not married yet but I proposed here.

[​IMG]

Its a foot bridge on the island of Burano and it had a spectacular misty vista of Venice and the lagoon on the day.

6. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I stole the proposal scene from Clerks 2 and appropriated it to a Micheal's Arts & Crafts store.

7. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

***EDIT***

That's just RUDE. Please do not insult posters or their spouses.

-TFW2005 Staff

8. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

It was Christmas morning. My wife and I were currently living together at the time and it was our first Christmas together. I had gotten out of bed early, told her I was getting her some hot chocolate but I had to get the ring to hide in my pocket. So we sat around the tree and opened presents. Afterward, I told her she had one more left, and I went down on my knee pretending to look for it and showed her the ring. I proposed, and she said yes. We got married this past May after being engaged for like a year and a half.

9. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Mine wasn't the most original, but I set up candles all over our apartment and waited until she came home from work.

It was really funny because as soon as she walked in to the apartment, she saw all of the candles and was like 'ARE THESE MY GOOD CANDELS!?!'
    Then she realized what was going on.

The other funny thing was that I used really fast burning candles and after all was said and done, wax was everywhere on the carpet. A friend of mine who help set it up came in a few minutes later to us on the floor trying to clean up the wax.

10. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Oh, she's not stupid in the least. She's going to grad school for women's and humanitarian studies. I think it's a stupid choice of a degree, but it's what she wants.

I may not have her reasons for not wanting one exactly right, but she knows more about this kind of stuff than YOU ever will.

If she really doesn't want one, I'm not going to argue with her. The reason isn't important.

She does want wedding rings for us, just not an engagement ring.

11. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:
    Never had to propose to my wife. we knew we were going to get married, so we just set the date, etc.

We got rings, but cheap ones, as we needed them for the ceremony. We haven't worn them since. To be honest, i'm not even sure where they're at.

12. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    Man some of you guys had some great ideas. My wife and I are sort of unconventional. We had planned to get married when she got pregnant with our daughter. We were talking about it again when she got pregnant with the boy. So last year when we got our tax return we went out and picked a ring together. I made her wait till I could give it to her, so once the kids were asleep I proposed(big surprise, huh?) My engagement gift? MP Starscream lol

13. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    *steals ur ideas*

Figuring out how I'd propose one day is something I could never do so this is a cool thread for me. ROMANCE.

Now if only the girl I love weren't currently my ex and with someone else. *gonk*

14. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    My husband and I knew we were meant for each other, but couldn't afford the engagement ring. Then one day his father, who is in construction found a small ring buried in the mud. So, about a week later while Kev and I were watching TV he turned to me with the ring in his hand and asked me to marry him. Nothing romantic. :lol 

15. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    My wife was on a month long overseas trip, and was going to be taking a chartered bus from the airport back to home. Basically I snagged a ride on the bus, surprised her in front of all the people she'd been traveling with and dropped to a knee before she really realized who I was.

16. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Everything is Awesome

News Credits:
    My now wife and I were just laying down and watching television and I asked her. It was far from romantic but it needed to be asked.

My wife also did not want an engagement ring. 1) She destroys jewelery. 2) We don't have the money. 3) She doesn't care about anything that flash.

Our wedding bands were like $35 bucks a pop. 100% Silver bands that are fairly plain.

17. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

My fiancee and I are getting married in a few months. For me, it all came together in a day or so.

We went to the mall cause she wanted to get her hair permed, so I was on my own for about an hour and a half, and started going around looking at jewelry stores. I found a store that had a deal I just couldn't pass up, so I got a ring. I asked her dad that night, telling him I didn't know when I would ask her because I had no idea when I would. The next day, we were driving and were joking about getting married, and I decided to go ahead and do it that day. So We went out for a nice dinner and I proposed at dinner. It worked pretty nicely.

18. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Richards on Richards.

19. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    We were on the phone.
    "You think we should get married?"
    "Yeah why not?"

We exchanged small engagement gifts, had a small wedding (got married in front of a celebrant then had dinner with family and friends). Been 10 years, no complaints :) 

20. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

Me and my wife were in a longtime romantic relationship and it was obvious that we will get married one day.