for the G1 enthusiast: if hasbro were to...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by OMEGAPRIME1983, Nov 1, 2009.

1. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hey all.. I was just reading the reveiw of the G1 predaking over in the review forum (obviously), and it goþ me to thinking. What would you all think if hasbro were to the G1 figures that takomy has that haven't been released domesticaly? I'm talking about all of them, predaking, galvatron, star convoy (with a more appropriate name), ratchet and ironhide and so on. I don't really know what else has not been released both here in the US as well as over seas in japan. But I would love to see hasbro reissue the molds that haven't made it here yet. I was so hyped when they released the insecticons and perceptor. Could this be them testing the waters to have the reissue's make a come back you think? I certianly hope so as I would love to see these other slightly obscure molds get released. Blaster/broadblast, kup w/ wheelie, all of them. They all should be released state side I think. Discuss please, and thanks for reading.

2. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

My wallet and sanity would thank them. No spending a grand on a BlackZarak that's likely to turn to dust if I poke it or so much as look at it funny. :redface2: 

3. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    there would be a massive disturbance in the force as thousands of wallets cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced but seriously as long as they got a wide release and not exclusive to TRU id be all over them but that said there are some they couldn't such as G1 Megatron and Fort Max (not that there has been a true reissuse of him)due to toy safety laws

4. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yea, everyone knows megs won't get reissued with out being a multicolored gay pride parade prop(no offence meant to the gay community, if any one here is). Its just that the older takar reissues are so damned expensive, and hard to find none the less... I had galvatron and sixshot and predaking... I want them back!! The reissue predaking is just as much, if not more expensive than the originals.. I mean, cmon!! Hasbro needs to get on the reissue ball with these. Heck, I'd settle for bad ass universe versions that I could possibly place on my G1 shelf like I did with the dinobot and cheetor figures for my beast wars shelf.. Or better yet, cyclonus who could go on either shelf and fit in with both. Heck, give us ramjet and thrust while they're at it too!

5. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't think a lot of the molds that Takara's released, and Hasbro hasn't, have the potential to support a widespread reissue, either as retail exclusives or mass releases. Many of the characters don't have a high enough profile among the general public, so there's not the mass appeal that something like Soundwave or yet another Optimus Prime would have. Just look at the last US reissue line: As soon as the iconic characters were done and the line moved into more obscure characters, it started shelfwarming. Besides that, a number of the Japanese reissues haven't sold well to the collector's market in North America (eg - Sky Lynx and Star Convoy are/were both on heavy clearance at BBTS), so a widespread reissue likely wouldn't do much better. Also, price points on the larger figures would likely be prohibitively expensive for the general public (eg - the Predaking reissue cost $200+ when first released). I think if Hasbro was going to do additional reissues from the available Takara catalog, it would have to be relatively well-known characters that would be relatively inexpensive. US releases of characters like Ironhide, Ratchet and the Cassette Big Mission packs would probably do well, IMO.

One thing that would be nice though, for the more obscure stuff, is if Hasbro could sell them as HTS.com exclusives like they did for Astrotrain. Give collectors a potential way to obtain the items without having to worry about whether there's enough potential market to support a mass release reissue line.

6. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This, basically. Hasbro selling more reissues through their website could work as a win-win for both them and the fans. Though I would be concerned if they opt to go with lower production runs to limit the risk of overstock.

7. Blackout32

Blackout32 Subdivisions

I think your right my friend and that maybe Hasbro is testing the waters with the lastest 2 releases. I was lucky enough to get them from TRU online and when I got them, they where sold out in a matter of a day online. I don't have a TRU near me anymore but lets hope whatever hasbro does that they are NOT TRU exclusives and basically for every store.

8. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

I would love to see Hasbro re-release some of the G1 figures that haven't been done by other than Takara. Ironically, despite the closeness of Taiwan to Japan, it's cheaper for me to buy the Hasbro toys here than the Takara.

Being able to pick up a (relatively) decent priced Predaking and some other G1 figures I was never able to get would be really nice.

9. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It would be nice if Predaking was reissued this way, since I imagine it would be quite cheaper (and who knows if/when Takara might try it again under the Encore line). Even though I don't play with the stuff I buy, I do admit I get annoyed when Hasbro takes out the springs on the spring-loaded weapons for each character; I bought my sister the Perceptor reissue (she's a nurse and wanted it since it's a microscope...as you can imagine, she picked up Scalpel too) and the missiles wouldn't even stay in the gun if you pointed it down toward the ground. Certainly it'd be better to get a reissue of a certain toy than nothing at all...but small things like that that Hasbro is stuck doing because of current toy laws is a bit irritating, so I think I'll always prefer stuff from Takara anyways unless the price is dramatically different.

10. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If I remember it correctly, it's largely dependent on the original markets for these toys. A Transformer sold by Hasbro in the US costs less at retail than the same toy sold in Japan by Takara. The price doesn't reflect necessarily reflect any better quality for the Takara version, since the toys all come from the same molds, and are made in the same factories.