For the 1st time, I'm upset with my TF collecting

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by galvatron1701, Nov 24, 2008.

1. galvatron1701

galvatron1701 cassette

Hi everyone. Firstly I'd like to apologise if this is not in the right place.

Just a very brief bit about me. I've been collecting since I was 3 (now am 24). I mainly collect G1, and its my aim to have them all from '84-'87 as well as certain Japanese figures. Transformers collecting is my greatest passion, and a huge part of my life.

Something I have always wanted is all 5 Predacons in Japanese boxes. I don't know why, but I've tried for years to get them but being a student I never had the money. That is until last month, when after saving for a while I was able to get all 5 from Ebay.

Thus started my road to being upset, hurt and angry. I won't tell the story here as it's already in the Ebay thread- www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-ebay/195257-ebay-help-needed.html.

Suffice to say he never turned up. Every day I woke and waited for the postman. Every day I stared longingly at the picture on ebay, imaginning having them. And now I feel terrible.

I can't explain why I feel so low, I imagine its a mix of disappointment and anger at the seller. I have never been cheated with regards to TF's, but now I have a sour taste in my mouth, and know that for a long time I will be suspicious of anyone selling TF's on ebay.

I've also started to look at my collection the way my parents would want. For years they've bullied me over my collecting, at times they could be very hurtful, but I always shrugged it off and cheered myself up by getting Soundwave and the cassettes out.

Yet this ridiculous affair has got me asking questions, and I don't like asking such questions.

Hopefully this period will pass, hopefully masterpiece Grimlock will save me. Have any of you ever felt this way? And how did you overcome it? (if, indeed, you did?).

Many thanks for reading.

2. jametron

jametron Release the Kraken!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    That's a shame, I'd be hurt too... but don't be disenchanted with TF's! It's not their fault. Be more cautious of sellers... I've been ripped too. I'm not sure of all the sure-fire ways NOT to be ri[pped off either, I'm afraid.

3. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sometimes you take a chance and it don't work out..Thats ebay!

Don't let it get to you bro!

4. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

only time I ever got ripped off from a purchase was for a loose diecast predaking, right before they reissued it. luckily, through paying with my credit card on paypal, I was able to get all of my money back after about a month of paperwork.

5. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Don't let some douche bag eBayer ruin things for you. Remember why you collect in the first place... it is something you enjoy.

As for your eBay problems, did you pay with a paypal balance or with your CC? I see you didn't get all of your money back from paypal... you might want to talk to your cc company if this is how you went.

6. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That guy is a bitch and I am sorry you got ripped off. There are a lot of good ebay sellers, but unfortunately there are a lot of crappy ones too. Don't get discouraged man, everyone has doubts about collecting sometimes. As long as you keep having fun and it does not run your life, it's a great hobby to be a part of.

7. rodster6

rodster6 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Its a shame your parents bully you about your collection, id have thought they would support something that brings you happiness. Im sorry your feeling down.

8. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If you've been into TFs that long it will mostly like end up being a minor set back.

Oh, and always always ALWAYS make Paypal payments using your credit card, not your account balance.

9. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

I feel for you. Your story is horrible and is part of the reason I no longer make real purchases via eBay.

I *FULLY EXPECT* anything I bid on or win on eBay that the chances I actually will receive the item and not lose my money is about 50/50. So I never bid more than I am willing to lose. And if it never shows up, I have to make peace with it.

Sucks but that is what eBay has become.

I have still found that reliable community forums with a trading post is much better. Takes longer and diligence but you sometimes end up finding someone who has what you want.

Sorry about you getting the Paypal screwjob. :( 

10. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

In your case, I'd definitely try and get your money back if possible. That will certainly take away SOME of the sting of a Holy Grail denied. Plus, it will give you that little bit of revenge to know that guy doesn't still have your money.

Hope that's still possible.

On the other front, I sort of know how you feel. I've always been a fan of toys and comics and stuff, and my parents have made little comments back in the day, but when I lived at home I mostly just hoarded my old G1 stuff (rather than passing them on to younger relatives). I have no regrets on that front, btw. :) 

I only started collecting well after I moved out on my own, and my longtime girlfriend is very cool with it. I have a decent cool low-rung job, a simple lifestyle and no big financial worries... and yet sometimes... especially when I'm getting frustrated at the amount of junk and material possessions I have cluttering up my living space, I look at my TF collection with a sort of antagonized ambivalence.

Part of this is probably the effect of societal bias against adult toy collectors.. especially those who don't collect as financial investment (it seems the more your collection is worth, the less people criticize)... but honestly, some of it must also be a vague dissatisfaction of not living up to my full potential in life, and devoting too much of my energy to an admittedly frivolous pursuit, rather than my art or my career.

Plus, they take up a lot of space. I'm really big on simple living, so it's sort of a painful contradiction to be addicted to plastic robots. :) 

In the end... priorities. Your parents are concerned that you're focusing your attention in the wrong places at a crucial age. I've got a decent job, I've found love, and I'm taking it easy... and I still wonder sometimes.

However, as long as your collecting doesn't seem to be detrimental to your growth... social, financial, emotional, whatever... then you should be alright. But really, spend less time pining over Ebay pictures of lost Predacon boxes, and remember to live life outside the MISB more. :) 

zmog

11. -Mainframe-

-Mainframe- Well-Known Member

Did you send a money order? Just email the seller and tell him/her that you have a lawyer waiting to take him to small claims court if he doesn't send what you paid for. :wink: 

12. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    I haven't ever felt that way about my hobby, but I have felt that way about some bad ebay deals I had in the past.

I overcame it by refusing to buy off ebay anymore. I now only deal with ATL locals whom I can meet in person, and via the Junkion Exchange where you have a much greater chance of having a good transaction. In fact, I have a personal rule that I don't buy/sell/trade from anyone in the Junkion Exchange unless they already have at least a half-dozen positive comments in their feedback thread. Like the old saying goes: Better safe than sorry.

The only time I ever get "upset" about the hobby is usually related to Hasbro product issues or problems I come across when toy hunting. Either Hasbro fails to release the character(s) I want in toylines (like no Megs or Soundwave with Alternators), or they release too many repaints, or the quality control is bad, and et cetera.

I get over that pretty easily: I just buy what I like.

13. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    If you didn't let years of parental criticism get you down about collecting, why are you letting some jerkass STRANGER make you question it?

Go get out Soundwave and cassettes, and remind yourself of why you collect. If you're meant to have a Japanese Predaking, it will happen. It just didn't this time.

--Moony

14. mykticon

mykticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I completely agree with everyone. Don't let this set back take away something you have loved for over 20 years now! I feel for your loss and I have had my share of bad deals (especially when I first got back into collecting about 5 years back!). Life goes on and I am very positive MP Grimlock will help ease your pain. I too have gone down the path of wanting to just "give up", but when I see my collection and how far it's come, I remember why I like it sooo much! That and when I even mention thinking of quitting, I get slapped in the back of my head by my wife because even she knows what pleasure it brings to us and our kids! Good luck in the future and don't give up on Predaking, when the time is right, he will be yours! Take care...

15. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

I am sorry for you man. Hang in there and don't let anyone ruin your joy of collecting.

16. Soundwave84

Soundwave84 Banned

News Credits:
    QFT Dont let people put you down on your collection as long as you are living by the rules and really enjoying life instead of doing it just to fill a void. Enjoy collecting its a hobby and honestly that is it. Dont let it become a source of life but enjoy the hobby!!!

17. Mastodon

Mastodon Well-Known Member

Hey Smog, I totally hear what you are saying. My own personal rule is that "Transformers will always be there." So if it comes down between creating something truly worthwhile art-wise or reading about the latest Alternity release, go with the art. Transformers aren't going anywhere for a long, long time.

18. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Wise words... which begs the question, why am I skulking around online TF forums, when I could be working on... um... a MOSAIC page? ;) 

Or even (shock!) something totally unrelated to Transformers. :) 

Sometimes I think my shiftlessness is less to do with Transformers than it is the giant time-eating black hole that is the internet. Can't live with it, can't live without it... sigh...

zmog

19. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I gave up collecting TF's after a medical ailment slapped me into realizing i was not collecting, i was replacing- people, friends, a life- with them.

I was lucky, i got 90 percent of my sight back and after much thought, i bought my first TF after giving my collection away. (TFU Blades, then TFU Ironhide.)

i want to start over, but the challenge isn't finding them,
    it is knowing when i am leaning on them too much to get me past bad days.

i handle that, my collection will mean more and be priceless to me.

You were burned and the humiliation you felt damaged your opinion of the hobby.

all the years and effort shouldn't be thrown away over this or so rashly.

if you can honestly say you balanced life and hobby, then i suggest you stick with it.
    if not, well, just promise yourself a new hobby that gave you this much pleasure.

peace.
    :) 

20. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I truly am sorry to hear of what you had to endure, guy. Don't lose heart, but give a big 'up yours' to letting this setback mess up the happiness that your hobby brings you.