For people who own both Knight Morpher Commander and Cyclops...

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by JPrime, Aug 3, 2012.

1. JPrime

JPrime Michael Bay Assassin

... does anyone agree that it seems like Cyclops was made better than the Commander figure?

I was kinda looking into getting the Commander figure, but it seems like it was made with a few faults, cheaper design and overall it just looks like Mastermind was kind of lazy in making it after checking out a few reviews and videos on it.

Meanwhile, I see the reviews and videos of the Cyclops figure and I am blown away at all the detail that was put into it.

Any opinions?

2. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Crossdresser Toy Collector

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    It's not hard to figure out why. KM Commander is their first product, and since then with Cyclops they learned a lot about how to do a better figure. As well, it was the intent for Cyclops to emulate complexity and size of a Masterpiece figure, so that design emphasis is also important to note.

3. JPrime

Well's that's understood, but I hope they make a version 2.0 of the Commander figure. I'm kinda ticked at the fact that they used Prime as their "practice bot" in making this line.

4. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    MMC didn't design KM Commander from the ground up. They took a resin kit someone designed and modded it for a plastic release.

5. JPrime

Thanks for that info slug. That makes the Prime figure even more lame. Boo to you MMC. :thumbdown 

6. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

They... did release a second version of Commander that fixed some of the issues of the initial figure.

7. Wolfdawg

Wolfdawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have the Knight Morpher Annihilator and I'd say it's on par with Cyclops. KMA has its flaws (loose shoulders), but the transformation seems WAY more refined than Cyclops'. Really, Cyclops has sheer size and "gimmicks" on his side when it comes to comparing the two. That aside, I'd say KMA is the better figure.

8. JPrime

Any info on telling the differences when buying them? Would most places just say "Improved" or "2nd version"? :confused: 

9. mattomaton

mattomaton ...

I agree with Wolfdawg. I was so impressed with Annihilator that I bought a second one to keep MISB. Cyclops looks awesome, but it's extremely fragile.

10. JPrime

See, things like this might make me think twice about getting it when I can. I have been looking online for some input on the improved version of the KM-01 figure, but no luck right now.

11. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Known Member?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  12. JPrime

13. mattomaton

mattomaton ...

Hope you find a 2nd version. It really is a solid figure.

14. audio321

audio321 Well-Known Member

I believe that tfsource has them in stock...

Yep:
    KM-01 Knight Morpher Commander

From link "This is the 2nd version of the Knight Morpher that includes the improved QC."

15. TacomaPrime

TacomaPrime Cybertronian Tacoma

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    tfsource and bbts both had the 2nd production run versions. i got mine from tfsource.

16. Astronut

Astronut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The original KM01 is one of my favorite Prime designs. obviously the second run is better due to the fixes, but I don't have that one. KM01 is beautiful. not on level with cyclops, but still amazing.

17. RubberChicken

RubberChicken Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I got one of the initial production runs from bbts when they were clearancing them (after the 2nd run came out). I don't play with my toys a lot, so I figured I could be careful and work with it. I recently opened it up and transformed it. I knew what spots to look out for and had no issues (maybe I tightened a screw). I love it! Easily one of the best figures in my collection.

18. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    You have to take into account where the third party industry was at the time KM-01 was released: FP had only released Warbot Defender a month before, and had yet to release the Bruticus add-on set. iGear had just released Faith Leader around the same time. KM-01 was only the second original full figure released by anyone at that point, and the third party industry has come a very long way in the last two years. KM-01 was also based on a pretty simple existing design, one that was deliberately done to reflect the original G1 Prime's simplistic transformation. Cyclops was very complicated simply because the design required it, whereas the designs for the trainbots are significantly less complicated.

At the time KM-01 was released, it was ambitious as hell to try and make a fully transforming figure rather than an add-on or accessory. MMC did a good job taking a workable design and modifying the original garage kit into a mass-produced model. Sure, the industry has come a very long way since then and maybe the toy hasn't aged well for some people, but it was and still is a pretty good execution at a time when not everyone was convinced that third parties would be able to pull it off at all, much less pull it off in the way that MMC was able to.

19. soybean56

soybean56 Well-Known Member

I can't recommend him enough. If you purchase a Commander from either BBTS or TF Source, you'll get the 2nd run with the improved QC, train tracks, and ball-joint head.

A solid toy that's lots of fun in both modes and has plenty of (dis)play options.

20. JPrime

From all this info, looks like my mind has been changed. Thanks for helping me blow my dough. :D