For people complaining about Takara prices

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alucard77, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    I have seen some threads here about people saying Takara charges way too much for their TF toys. I just wanted to correct everyone real quick on this. They are not charging as much as you think they are if you take into account the conversion rate. You can look here:

Japanese Yen: CURRENCY:JPYUSD quotes & news - Google Finance

In 2007 the exchange rate was .008. Now a days, it is .012. That is 50% increase for US Consumers.

Let's use 2010 Unicron as an example. The site has him at 10,500 Yen (WELCOME TO TRANSFORMERS 2010 - ƒ†ƒjƒNƒ￾ƒ“￾@2010ƒGƒfƒBƒVƒ‡ƒ“￾@| TRANSFORMERS GENERATION￾@ONE). That is $127. If you take this down to 2007 exchange rates, your talking about $81 or so. That is pretty good, considering in 2005 this bad boy was $50 in the US.

Not to mention the Takara toys in many instances are nicer as they contain more paint detail and chrome. So it makes sense the difference in cost.

2. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    I always thought takara was reasonable, if not less than all other sellers.

3. XxGeck0xX

XxGeck0xX デストロン 情報

News Credits:
    Ok no one really feels the economy for tf's unless you're actually in Japan. I just exchanged dollars to yen today with $1=78 yen. Thats so shitty it really is, I remember complaining when it was at $1=117 yen. When prices like bbts are $30 it's really about the same with the exchange rate and importing put into these figures.

Oh ya for that unicron with the rate, try $140.

4. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thats all well and great but thats not the point
    Most often the question or concerns being raised when Tomy vs. Hasbro pricing is being compared is whether or not the changes made to the toys is worth the additional cost. This is merely a matter of taste, slight color changes or extra chrome is not enough to make me pay extra regardless of the yen exchange rate. For me Tomy is too expensive for mainstream toys or even masterpieces. I am content to accept or wait for the American release. When Tomy puts out exclusive items such as animated blackout the price is not an issue

5. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    people seem to forget, hasbro caters to a different market than takaratomy does. Hasbro is dedicated to kids, which is more focused for fun toys with neat little gimmicks. Takaratomy is dedicated to collectors, which is more focused to high-end collectibles with high possibility and closeness to the old show. that is why the prices are so different, it what has to happen

6. Houndvoice

Houndvoice Well-Known Member

I'm fairly sure people in f.ex Europe are far more acceptive of Takara pricing than people in US, since the price difference is far far less.
    But sure, if you can get a figure locally for $7-11, paying $30+ and shipping is a stretch.
    However, for many people, the $30 Takara price isn't far off what they'd have to pay in a local store anyway...

So I don't complain about Takara prices, for the most part Takara adds greatness to their figures which makes paying some more worth it.

edit: I used the new Generations/United deluxes as an example, pricewise.