For new Classics/Generations molds: do you prefer quantity or quality?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Shelfwarmercon, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Got a question for the board. Hope you folks can take the time to answer.

When a new mold is made for Classics/Universe/Generations, there's usually criticism about how something "wasn't done right" with the updated design. Ratchet and Perceptor lose their original altmodes. Powerglide and Bumblebee are too big. Wheeljack's windshield isn't curved.

Hasbro is always looking to make the best toy they can for Transformers. But, they have to work within a budget. They can only make a certain number of new molds for any Transformers toyline.

With that in mind, if Hasbro decides to make future Generations/Classics toys that had all the gimmicks, bells and whistles the original characters had, but the tradeoff is they would have to release fewer new molds each time, would you go with that option?

Here's an example: they decide to give the Classics treatment to Blitzwing and the Autobot Triplechangers, and make sure all of them have two altmodes which look good. But the tradeoff is dropping several figures.

2. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    As long as Hasbro keeps making them I'll be happy, even if they have to release fewer toys per wave.

3. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

I care about quality,I don't buy for quanity.

that's the main reason I skip out on not buying TF toys I dislike.

4. anotheran

anotheran Old skooler

I'd do less if they do it better. they're going to run out of season 1/2 and 1986 movie bots soon. then i'm going to stop.

5. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If "quality" refers to how close the updates are to their original counterparts, then I would choose "quality". For example, I like how the updated Hot Rod and Wheeljack resemble their original G1 toys, while on the other end of the scale I don't like the update to Inferno and Grappler - they feel like totally different characters to me.

6. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] BATTLE GAIA!

News Credits:
    Quality- interms of uniqueness and the type of Character made.
    I care not for repaints of the same mould. Head/ partial remouldings like the Inferno/Grappel ones are fine by me. :D 

7. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

I'd be ok with that. Especially given how meany new molds we've seen come out recently in such short time. I really don't have the money right now to get all of them. Quite a few of them I'll probably have to track down online long after they've been out. So less figures at one time is fine by me.

Since they probably wouldn't announce the ones that'd get cut, I probably wouldn't have a problem with it.

8. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    Quality above quantity for me. In transformers and in everything else in my life. It's how it should be.

9. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm having a hard time answering this question because I'm sure you couldn't get any two of us to agree on "what is quality." I often think that new altmodes are an improvement. Powerglide's problem is a disappointing design, not size. And I can't remotely be bothered by the shape of Wheeljack's windshield.

I find myself unable to answer this question. However, I'm utterly psyched beyond words at the two lines of Classics goodness each selling for $9-15 now and in the near future.

I think that quantity is more important to us than we like to say. Who wants to do what many collectors must and wait for single figures to dribble out of collector websites for large bucks each? Not I.

10. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    Bingo.

And regarding toys and product in general, I'll happily pay more for what I consider higher quality stuff. A perfect example: I feel like I got a bargain for Leader Screamer at $50 even when the toy can be had for a bit less pretty easily at retail now, but I won't even consider paying $10 for something like SuperStealthOpsBattleSplosionTuner Bumblebee.

11. Kungfu Dinobot

Kungfu Dinobot Well-Known Member

I vote QUALITY.

I don't have the money for quantity anyways.

12. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The context of this thread doesn't really say 'quality' to me, but "fits my vision of character X", which is different from person to person.

13. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Speaking of quality i would love if the QC was improved.

14. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Quality, for another reason that may not be the most popular - budget reasons. One reason I really like the Classics line is that fewer figures means that it's easier to collect and not have one's wallet emptied. One reason I like the current Generations line is that it's [mostly] deluxes. Deluxes are a great price point for budgeting concerns :) 

15. devilution

devilution Well-Known Member

a factor you forgot to mention is cost. if hasbro made less figures and spent more time on each, they'd need to raise prices to make up for the lack of quantity. so not only would there be a lesser selection, but the price would probably have to jump 30% - 50%. the real question should be "would you pay more for fewer, better figures."

16. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Honestly if I had a higher income I would say quantity. I have absolutely no problems with the new molds we've seen and the direction Hasbro has taken. That's not to say some of them haven't sucked, but each mold has it's qualities I like. IMO, Hasbro has done a great job and should keep pumping them out.

17. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

To better answer this thread question,here's a example of what i'd do.

If I had the $700 dollars in my budget to spend on transformers for 2011.

then takara decided to create 5 masterpiece G-1 new mold styled transformers for the 2011 year. that cost around $700 to buy including shipping fees & tax.

then their was the other secondary option of buying 25+ new mold TF toys in various sizes for the 2011 year.

I'd chose the first buying option. of spending the $700 on the Takara masterpiece transformers toys. WHY? Because with masterpiece transformers toys the quality,designs,poseability,likeness & toy engineering are superior to regular non-masterpiece transformers toys.

With those 25+TF toys from 2011. their is just bound to be some inferior designs. lower sculpt,less poseability. budget cuts that make the toy enginering weaker. cheaper paint apps & so forth.

18. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i'd rather have 12 good toys in a year, than running around all year chasing down a boatload of crap offerings.

as much fun as it has been with all the waves steadily coming out, if they weren't of good quality, i wouldn't be buying.

but so far, hasbro has been great with the new lines, so i don't mind the quantity.

19. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Quality always wins for me.

20. BW megatron

BW megatron tiran

The fact that they have ajusted altmodes is no problem, realism is good. Some designs are mistakenly blown up, like powerglide (which would have made an excellent deluxe toy) or Darkmount which should have been a mega sized toy.

Design has nothing to do with quality.
    On the other hand the paintjobs and the putting togheter of the new toys isn't that good, i have had numerous faults in the few classics i own, hasbro is falling back to a level well below Beast wars or RID, which i consider one of the best lines ever, quality wise. It looks way to KO instead of figures inspired for adult collectors.