For anyone that watched the Oscars, do you think Transformers should've been in the 90 Years Promo?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by transf0, Mar 4, 2018.

1. siccoyote

siccoyote Worst side of the fandom

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't remember seeing any clip of The Matrix in there either or as people have said any number of popular films, The original Bayformers film was popular at the time among a certain demographic, pretty much kids to nerds in their early 30s.

As a first generation (ocay I didn't get in till the Special Teams came out) fan who had stayed loyal and fanatical to the franchise all the way from 85 till 03 (Armada kicked me out, but the flame was still alive) I felt the original Bay move was just about enjoyable despite it's many many faults. But seeing the reactions from people around me at the time in the next few months I felt it was supremely over-rated.

It's notthe kid of movie that should really show up in an oscar montage celebrating great cinema.

2. agent j 15

agent j 15 poopity-scoop

No because they're bad movies

• Like Like x 1
  3. transf0

transf0 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would say that but multiple Pixar films and Iron Man was in there. So that's kids and the aging 30 year old demo.

4. karamazov80

karamazov80 Million Dollar Champion

This is the moment I lost faith in the Oscars. . .damn you, Oscars. Dam you straight to hell.

5. siccoyote

siccoyote Worst side of the fandom

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Except Pixar movies and even to an extent the marvel movies and enjoyed by a much group and acknowledged as good films, rather than being despised outside of the prime demographic.

6. transf0

News Credits:
    The first film is universally recognized as good by the general moviegoing public.

7. Galvatross

Galvatross Swamp Lord Shrek-traoridinairre! Veteran

There is no such thing as a film that is universally recognized as good. If if it were universal that means literally everyone thought it was good. All of the films have had vocal detractors.

You could say, "Generally more well-regarded than the other films by the American public," but the American public is not the entire universe. I'm a part of the part of the American public, and while I do enjoy the first film, I don't think it's better than most of the other films.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Yeah, no.

It made a ton of money, was generally a hit, but it is far, FAR from universally recognized as "good".

According to the thrice-cursed Rotten Tomatoes (may ten thousand moths descend on their closets), for example, only 85% of people thought it was good.

9. transf0

News Credits:
    When metacritic uses its' universally acclaimed designation it does not mean there is no one in the universe who doesn't like it. For these purposes, it was (85% RT.)

10. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    That's a silly name for that metric then, to be frank, and you should probably not use it in normal conversation.

For the record, metacritic currently lists the 2007 Transformers film at 61/100, "generally favourable", not "universally acclaimed".

Transformers

Also worth noting for people that aren't familiar with the sites, that metacritic uses an average of 1-100 scores across multiple critics, whereas RTs rating is the percentage of critics/audience that deemed the film "good" rather than "bad" (a proportion of positive binary ratings). They're fairly different approaches, and are not necessarily equivalent.

For example, if 10/10 critics all rated Transformers at around 65%, it would likely show as a 100% Fresh film on RT. If 3/10 rated the film at 40%, 3 at 55%, and 4 at 75%, Metacritic would (probably) show a rating of 59%, and RT would show 40%. Metacritic is a rating of how good the film is, RT is a rating of what portion of the audience thought it was good.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  11. transf0

News Credits:
    I understand the dichotomy between the two and have written extensively about it before. I'm saying that universally acclaimed is a term that doesn't mean NO ONE objects to it. A large majority of the general population views the film favorably. Acclaim is advocation/positive sentiment. I wasn't equating RT=Meta scores, just saying the term is used not in a literal sense. I'd say not to take scores in a vacuum regardless and believe the general sentiment of the public today towards the first one is acclaim.

12. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    And I am saying you're using a term in a way that doesn't mean the same thing that the words its made up of would indicate, and is thus a silly term, and that you should stop using it outside of specific references to ratings on metacritic, and stop trying to shift the goalposts.

"universal acclaim" means just what it sounds like (unless you're on metacritic, for some reason). Universal means the totality, all people. 85% is not universal. Hell, I could argue even acclaim is too strongly positive a term in this case, and that positive feelings on the TF film tended to be more middling than enthusiastic. We can keep doing this forever, not everyone liked the first TF film, even if it's widely regarded as the best of the franchise, and that's the pretty much the end of it.

• Like Like x 1