For anyone that watched the Oscars, do you think Transformers should've been in the 90 Years Promo?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by transf0, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Russian fan

Russian fan Proud Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    What a time that was!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    There are more holes in that theory than the plot of TLK.

3. Chris James

Chris James Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No there ain't. I said pre-dominant MCU which I consider 2014 when the MCU could make a GOTG movie and it becomes the highest grossing U.S film that year.

Before the MCU, TF and Pirates were the first two franchises to have two films gross over 1 billion and they both averaged well over 300 million + domestically prior to their 5th installments. It doesn't matter if the entire series was loved by everyone. Both series were commercial juggernauts before their 5th installments.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Trip2boy

Trip2boy Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Doesn't surprise me honestly. POTC and TFs aren't very popular amongst the Oscars. Still, they should've been there. Transformers for leaps and bounds in CGI (2008 Iron Man wouldn't exist without TF1), and POTC for cultural significance (Captain Jack is arguably one of the most iconic creations of cinema). Also more Star Wars. Big fan.

5. MV95

MV95 @marlinfan1995 Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I hate awards shows so I could care less.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    I haven't seen the montage of films, but I'm going to go ahead and say that over the past 90 years, there have been quite a few more impactful/important films than the Transformers films or the POTC films. It's not a slight against the films, nor is it a lack of recognition of their box office take.

It's simply an understanding of what makes an important and/or impactful film.

• Like Like x 3
  7. normtrooper

normtrooper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There were a decent amount of positive reviews for movie 1.

The fact that it didn’t win visual effects that year is beyond an insult. It was a huge and obvious snub. Regardless of any other factor Transformers 07 had the best visuals of that time, that still hold up

8. transf0

transf0 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Post updated with montage.

9. AshleyCuadra

AshleyCuadra Tieria Prime

News Credits:
    Tlk had more realistic details since the first film

10. transf0

News Credits:
    No, audience reception was quite good. Bay's highest audience ratings, 7.1 on IMDb. The public generally universally at least was OK with it, and many liked it. Roger Ebert gave it a 3/4!

11. transf0

News Credits:
    Yep, TF paved the way. Definitely deserved a clip up there.

Things like Iron Man were up there which were received about the same as Transformers. You can't speak for everyone with your "understanding." Many qualities make up a memorable and impactful film, and I believe the groundbreaking VFX alone grants TF a spot here, along with many other qualia.

12. NotRamjet97

NotRamjet97 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I mean... I'm not sure if it'd be possible to boil down every single great Hollywood movie down to a five minute video. It was missing Transformers, POTC, the Raimi Spiderman movies, the X-Men, the Burton Batman movies, the TOS/TNG Star Trek movies (I guess Abrams Trek fills in..?), heck I don't think I saw flippin' Superman! I didn't see Lion King, Frozen, I don't think I saw anything from Terminator, not sure about Predator... Was Ghostbusters? Heck, I know we see Marvel in there, but nothing from Avengers? I think it's a snoozefest but still?

Granted, I can't remember everything, so maybe some of that was in there, but still... there's a ton of stuff to boil down to five minutes. Granted Iron Man is a bit of a head scratcher because... it didn't do anything super revolutionary for the superhero genre in and of itself beyond being "not bad".

• Like Like x 1
  13. AOEGalvatronRox

AOEGalvatronRox Collector

News Credits:
    It seems a lot films kinda got snubbed in this video. There’s no Star Wars whatsoever, even though it’s been said numerous times that Lucas changed the filmmaking landscape with Episode IV, there’s no Transformers (despite their flaws, the VFX, especially in the first film, have been top notch. They could’ve at least shown Optimus’ first transformation in the 07 movie), there’s barely any Marvel despite the fact that they’ve inspired the “shared universe” idea (almost every studio is wanting to create some sort of shared universe a la Marvel). There were some classics in this video, like the Color Purple, but they snubbed a lot of films.

14. transf0

News Credits:
    The most iconic scene from the Star Wars franchise is in there. Marvel movies aren't really ground-breaking, just not terrible as another poster put it. Meanwhile, like you said, Transformers combined landmark technical achievements with a plot found enjoyable by most everyone (audiences for sure).
    This is totally unrelated, but based on your profile picture, I just wanted to say I really disliked the Rebels finale.

15. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

It kind of reflects the problem the Oscars have of they don't really acknowledge the films that pay the bills because they they tend to go for the Oscar bait instead of what is the average person watching. If the big films are lucky they might get something in an opening montage or the technical awards most people don't care about, but the biggest box office films of the year are pretty much absent at the Oscars.

While Transformers Revenge of the Fallen isn't the greatest movie ever made with a domestic box office of $402 million that was a lot of ticket buyers that watched the movie back in 2009. It's also hard to claim that the first Transformers wouldn't have walked away with the effects Oscar if the death of someone on the Golden Compass team wouldn't have turned the award into a tribute for the effects person that passed away.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Neoseed

News Credits:
    People still care about the Oscars?

17. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Thanks for sharing that video. It's been years since I've seen the last Oscars. There's a few of of my favorites in that clip, like Interstellar, Jurassic Park, Blade Runner, ET..etc.

Now that I've seen the clip, yes, I do believe thr first Transformers movie should have made it there. Maybe if Steven Spielberg directed the last movie, we would have seen a TF clip.

18. transf0

News Credits:
    It is still unequivocally the most prestigious and respected entertainment award. Reason being, the recipients are selected by those who are the best in their respective fields. It's fine to not care about the show (found many parts cringey) but the award itself does mean something.

Agreed, I got chills when it opened with the Interstellar theme.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Outside of the small circle of people that might be up for one I'm not really sure.

I'm guessing for the younger crowd it's just another one of the countless award shows they have on TV. With so few pop culture things being up for any of the big Oscars most young fans don't know the feeling of what it's like to have a movie to pull for. It also seems like the Oscars show likes to play up older actors who haven't had a big role in some time so under a certain age and I'm guessing you have to watch the show going Goggle who is that.

Somewhere in that middle age range I guess it's mixed feelings. I know some people my age that still watch the Oscars. But then I know a lot of people my age that don't watch the Oscars because they still have some ax to grind over snubs over the years. I lost all respects for the award the year the animated movie Beauty and the Beast got screwed out of best picture because the old farts that vote for the Oscars felt threatened that animation would get something over live actors. Then the insult of making sure an animated movie could never contend for best picture again. That motion capture characters aren't up for awards is another sticking point of why I don't watch it.

For the older crowd I guess it's still a reminder of the golden age of Hollywood. There was a time when the Oscars and pop culture seemed to walk along hand in hand so you had seen all the movies and actors up the awards. I think people might have been more into the glitz and glamor thing back then as well.

It doesn't help that in the age of streaming the Oscars aren't the only new thing to watch on TV. The other broadcast networks would go into reruns to keep from going head to head with the Oscars, but your Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon account could care less if the Oscars are on or not. Well other than Amazon attempting to sell you a rental of the movies up for Oscars.

• Like Like x 1
  20. MegaPrime1007

MegaPrime1007 The Great Defender of the Movieverse

News Credits:
    You must be my soulmate then.

• Like Like x 1