For all you musicians, what do you use to record?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by honestgabe, Jun 22, 2006.

1. honestgabe

honestgabe I

I'm thinking about getting Adobe Audition or Pro Tools (Copys...from someone...yeah) Anyway, I'm not too keen on recording so I dont know the process would be like using the software. My buddy has a 4 track digital recording board and we've always just ran all the electronics through that, so what would I need then to run guitars or keyboard to the pc? And what mics are best for a pc as well? I'm at a lost here, hehe. Any help would be appreciated

2. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I use cool edit pro 2, which is basically Adobe Audition before it was called Adobe Audition, I find it extremely easy to use.

As far as my recording setup, I use a Behringer V-Amp pro (Link), which is more or less a real nice POD knock off, because of the cabinet emulation built into it I can record guitars and bass right into my sound-card.

For vocals I use a Behringer XM8500 Cardioid Microphone (which is a knockoff of a Sure SM58 that costs $20 and sounds EXACTLY the same) I run that into my V-Amp which has a pure tube pre-amp emulator without the cabinet emulation.

For drums I use Nature Studio's ns_Kit7free (link), which is one of the most high quality sampled drum sets I have ever heard, it's a 70mb download but it's free and totally worth it, download the soundfont version then get synthfont (link) which will let you use soundfonts even if you don't have a creative labs sound-card, plus it lets you render a MIDI file to a wave file using the sample set contained in the soundfonts you are using, this is how I do all my drums and I often get drummers asking me, "who plays drums for you."

You need a MIDI editor to sequence your drum tracks but freeware MIDI sequencers are a dime a dozen.

Some results of my efforts are in the link in my sig, using this set up I'm able to get fairly good sounding recordings and my entire setup (minus computer and guitars) cost me less than $500.