For All Those Complaining About TFP's Prime's Face...

Discussion in 'Transformers Earthspark and Cartoon Discussion' started by Spunky, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Spunky

Spunky Well-Known Member

Yeah, I wish his face had more detail, but you know what, I think it still looks better than movie Prime's face. I just thought all the faces in the movies, especially Prime's, looked really ugly. Even movie Arcee's face looks ugly. I'll take the liquid metal look of TFP's faces over the movie faces any day.

2. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Who's still complaining about the TFP faces?

3. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

I like his Movie face [though I never liked the idea of Optimus having a mouth].

They usually don't look pretty because a car that turns into a GIANT FREAKING ROBOT probably wouldn't be Brad Pitt, let's be honest.

4. Skottech

Skottech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To me the "blankness" of Prime's unmasked face could be resulting from an effort to shave a few polys from the model.

5. GBglide

GBglide Furst Fanatic

Prime's annoying uncle "got his nose"! :lol 

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Actually, doesn't it take more polygons at smaller sizes to make a surface that looks smooth and curved as opposed to one that's got more geometric shapes?

And the "blankness" of Prime's face it to fit with the style. All the robots have faces like that in the show. It's a stylistic choice. Why it's a problem on Optimus and nobody else astounds me.

As someone else (who's name escapes me) put it, he looks like Batman from Batman: The Animated Series. A very heroic face structure without needing to look realistic. It's not the details of his face but the proportions. The wide jaw, small angular eyes and high set mouth speaks far more than any amount of texture detail.

7. Spunky

Spunky Well-Known Member

I would have extended the crescent on his forhead down further to take the place of a nose or just give him something like Animated Prime had to look like a nose. Kind of like what they did with Arcee in TFP. And I would have given him some lips. Even "Transformers Animated" Prime had some lips and he still looked masculine and all. "TFP's Prime has the blankest and least detailed face of all the bots in the show and I think that is what is bothering people. If they did just slight modifications to his face he would look better. Maybe they'll do that for the rest of the series. Who knows.

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Except he doesn't need any alteration. There's nothing wrong with his face and it doesn't need to be changed at all. It's prefectly fine and fits well within the style.

9. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've tried lowering the forehead crest in Photoshop and concluded it wouldn't have worked when the nose of the faceplate slid into place. He's got a little line where the nose would be on his face, but overall I can live with him having just a mouth normally and having a nose when fighting.

10. Paxtin

Paxtin ...

Yeah, this. ^

11. Spunky

Spunky Well-Known Member

It would be funny if somebody in TF Prime said that Optimus looks like Batman.

12. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Generally speaking - the more geometry, the more work to make it (and also, the longer the rendering time).
    I still feel that part of it is people getting used to Prime having a mouth at all.
    This. It's like the faces in Animated; not much detail to them but the shape frequently defined the characters perfectly IMO.

13. Dran0n

Dran0n miss me w/ that

News Credits:
    TFTM Prime's face the ugliest? Bitch, please.
    [​IMG]

14. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it!

News Credits:
    Agreed, but Prime has had a face and mouth all along, just most series have had his faceplate constantly covering the lower half of his face. To me, it makes more sense to have his faceplate retracted when he's in the Autobot Base and when talking to the humans. This style used for all the bots in this series just makes all their faces seem rather bland to us, but I also like the movie verse faces..just seeing the workings of their eyes, mouths, especially when they have the close-ups in TF1 of Prime speaking to Sam. The mechanics were a nice touch..does Prime look better with his faceplate? Yeah, sure..but that doesn't mean it must be in place all the time.

15. Spunky

Spunky Well-Known Member

You're right. Forgot about the twins (trying really hard to forget them).

16. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    I think a better question is "Who's watching TFP?"

I keed I keed.

But yeah. I think the Prime aesthetic is unique, TFA had it's own look and the Bayverse has it's look, it's always nice to see people trying something new (I don't the hate Bayverse look, I just hate it when any of them open their mouths).

17. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    :lol  I think the same thing sometimes.

Show probably gonna bomb before season 2, what with nobody other than transfans watching it.

18. Spunky

Spunky Well-Known Member

What are you talking about? Hub's ratings went up more than 100% when TFP aired among ALL age groups including adults. Sounds to me like there are plenty of people watching the show and not just Transfans. The series is being called a "hit" for a reason.

19. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Of course the first episodes would get that, I mean, they wasted money with gigantic boards in New York for God's sake.

But that was it, it's nearly impossible to find anybody outside of fans that saw it, specially because it's on an expensive channel.

Plus keep in mind that they said 18+ viewers went up around 500%. Such a gigantic number can only mean that they adult viewer were really really really low before and probably doesn't mean much after all.

20. Spunky

Spunky Well-Known Member

"Transformers Prime" is not going to be as popular as "CSI" or other adult-oriented shows like that. But I think there's quite a few people watching it other than just the fans. If it were just the fans there wouldn't be enough people to justify a toyline. What I don't like is Hasbro's marketing strategy right now. After all the hype and advertisements a few weeks before the miniseries aired it's now just hush hush. No new footage of the new episodes or any sort of carrot to dangle whatsoever. All they show is another promo with old footage stating what popular entertainment news sources have to say about the miniseries. I'm wondering if episodes 6 onwards are going to reveal something MAJOR and SHOCKING and that's why the Hub isn't advertising much about them. They want to surprise and shock us?