Following the anime template with DVD releases?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Nerroth, May 17, 2007.

1. Nerroth

Nerroth Alea iacta est.

News Credits:
    Hi!

One thing that bugs me when it comes to TF series produced in Japan is that when they are released in English, only the Western version of the series is shown on the disc, and usually not in the one box set (with the exception of the Masterforce and Victory releases in Europe - but they are a special case, as they weren't 're-tooled' for Western audiences).

In contrast, almost every other anime series you cn think of that sees a Western release features both the English and Japanese versions on the disc.

Would it be feasible to put together a set of DVD releases which feature both versions of the shows in question - and if this was done, would there be a market for it?

For example, one could do a box set for Car Robots/RiD, where one can choose between a subbed version of the original or the dubbed (and edited) version - and ditto for the likes of Galaxy Force/Cybertron.

Any thoughts?

Gary

2. MagiRanger

MagiRanger Banned

Ebay:
    Because it might attract more buyers.

3. Nerroth

Nerroth Alea iacta est.

News Credits:
    Not much of an interest in the idea, then?

Surprising - I would have thought that fans of the Japanese versions of the modern shows would have been more for the idea...

Gary

4. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I hear you on this... some other DVD releases of anime that suffer from this is are the Voltron set and the 2003 Astroboy set. English only, unfortunately.

I'm wondering if the reasoning is similar for Transformers as for Voltron... the episodes were changed around just enough between the Japanese and English versions, that in order to have both on the disk, they would actually have to have 2 complete versions for each episode (rather than just being able to switch the audio tracks).

zmog

5. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Considering the reason Sony BGM couldn't release the audio track of "Scramble City" is because they'd have to pay royalties to all who were involved, I am going to give the possibility of it happening a huge NO WAY IN HELL. :) 

6. Soundwave2

Soundwave2 Excitement! My Style!!!

News Credits:
    Isn't the original GoLion going to be released by Media Blasters after their done with the american Voltron DVD sets?

7. Backpack

Backpack Scattershot who?

Part of the reason is that the US versions are different than the Japanese. The audio wouldn't match up. For the most part, Anime that airs on TV (aimed more towards kids) hardly ever gets a Japanese track.

8. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The biggest problem isn't the royalties. All they'd have to do is license the soundtrack to begin with when they license the show. Animes do it all the time. In the case of Scramble City I'm going to say that Sony were just being cheap.

The biggest problem with Anime that gets translated for children here in the states is the same problem that Voltron, Yugi-Oh, One Piece and the original two to three season of DBZ and the first season of Dragon Ball had: It's not just the audio tracks that would need to switch, the episodes have been edited ever so slightly that the audio tracks simply wouldn't match and they'd need a second video track as well for certain episodes. In the cases of Yugi-Oh and DBZ it's even worse as multiple episodes (in Yugi-Oh there's a couple "three parters" during Duelist Kingdom) that get super spliced into single episodes. Hell, in DBZ season one there was an entire character that was cut from the show due to splicing. So, the audio for those would fit even less.

Of course, that doesn't mean that they couldn't got the route that DBZ is going now and releasing one without all the splicing that has the original Japanese audio, but the English tracks have all been redone for these new releases and I don't see Hasbro or Sony or Kid Rhino putting out the extra money to redubb the English audio. In the case of the upcoming Go Lion release they're simply releasing the Japanese audio on those disks with English subtitles... there won't be any English dub.