Follow The Transformers the Movie Tomatometer

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Joe Moore, Jun 30, 2007.

1. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Transformers officially has a Tomatometer. For those unfamiliar with Rotten Tomatoes, it is a website that compiles a huge sampling of reviews for each new release and gives each a review a fresh or rotten rating based on the review. A score of 6 out of 10 (or equivalent) will garner a fresh rating, anything below a 6 will garner a rotten rating. The total is averaged out and a Tomatometer is born. The higher the score, the better.

As of this writing, Transformers is sitting at an excellent 88%, with an average score of 7.4 out of 10. Out of 16 reviews (so far), 14 of them are positive with only 2 being negative. Feel free to follow the Transformers the Movie Tomatometer Here.

2. Phorpus

Phorpus RHco.

I thought we already had a thread about this but, eh.

Hopefully with the next 100 or so reviews we'll be able to keep it at around the high 80's. So far it seems they were caught off guard at how amazing the transformations look and are willing to brush off the "Dumb Summer Action" vibe.

3. Dark Magnus

Dark Magnus Your opinion is wrong!

Ebay:
    Yeah, the only two bad reviews seem like people who were expecting this to be some art house flick as opposed to what it is, a big explosion, summer popcorn flick.

4. Aberration

Aberration Templar Rodimus

News Credits:
    I'm not too worried about how the film reviews. Transformers is a movie about children's toys directed by Michael Bay. Those two things alone tell you that this movie is not for the critics.

However, if they start running TV ads a couple days before the opening, where the only critic quote used comes from Earl Dittman, like they did with "Spider-Man 3", THEN I might worry a little :p  (search Wikipedia for Dittman if you don't know what I'm talking about)

5. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime Roll out! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    One negative review seems to complain that this isn't the cartoon. The other is childish and complains that it's based on action figures (funny quote from it was something like "What next, a movie based on cereal?") so they really aren't anything worth reading. The first guy is just an average G1-only fanboy, and the second one is some woman critic whose review is terribly written and complains about the lack of originality instead of focusing on specific points, good or bad. Unfortunately, the latter review is likely to be the kind used in newspapers, etc, and thus the kind most people will read and be influenced by. Nonetheless, the 88% positive on RT and the 8.4/10 on IMDB seems to indicate that these reviews are worthless.

6. Cory Bauer

Cory Bauer Well-Known Member

Agreed. While I will most likely enjoy the hell out of this film, I wouldn't be shocked to see Transformers end with a 35% tomato meter. Michael Bay + movie based on a toyline is like negative critic heaven. The unavoidable product placement (the stars are cars, for pete's sake) also gives artsy fartsy critics something juicy to sink their teeth in to. Of course, I don't believe it'll deserve such scores, but the temptation to rip this film a new one will probably be too much for critics who take themselves way too seriously.

7. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Wow, the "user" tomatometer is at 85% with 115 reviews!

Can't wait to see it!!!

8. hordeprime

hordeprime In Spite of the System

Yeah... Funny thing about many syndicated "critics" (and I use that word rather loosely) is that they seem to think that every movie of every genre can be judged according to one standard, which is simply not the case.

No, we don't walk into an action flick expecting Scorsese character development and interaction... so treat is as such. No, we don't walk into "Scream 7" expecting originality, so treat it as such. No, we don't walk into "Transformers" expecting to be blown away by the Academy Award winning performance of Optimus Prime, so treat it as such.

If "critics" on the whole would get this notion through their prima donna skulls, the entertainment world would be that much closer to being a better place.

9. Chiben

Chiben Never Gonna Run Around...

If you look at the reviews the negative one about the "cereal boxes" is Victoria Alexander. She's one of the most hated critics by the forums on that website.
    Case in Point: She gave Norbit a positive review. It's hard for to take her criticisms of any movie seriously.

10. Screechatron

Screechatron Well-Known Member

This a "tangenial" repsonse of the above quote:

Don't they understand that we just want to be entertained? Man, I watch some of those "intellectual" movies and I get a headache. Was I supposed to be chewing on caviar topped on stale bread while sipping Perrier? Screw deep messages. Screw crying and melodrama.

I want to drink cold, cheap American beer, eat a footlong hot dog, and watch a bunch of explosions. It's shallow, but it's good 'ole fashioned apple-pie entertainment. This is what I hope Transformers will be.

I read one of the negative articles - David Poland is a schmuck. Trying to be cynical, he throws way too many inside jokes in his review. To me, it's just chest thumping to the world that he knows movies. It's not effective David, it's arrogant. I feel sorry that you have such an insecure look at yourself.

11. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

IGN gave it a 3.5/5. Good enough for me, though I was going to see the movie no matter what the reviews said.

12. IamPRIMUS

IamPRIMUS God among mortals

The ratings on RT are good, save for a couple bad reviews. Not many people expect to go into a summer action movie and be blown away by intelligent dialogue and not explosions (T2: Judgment Day is an exception to this rule however). Just because a movie gets bad reviews doesn't mean that everyone should hate this movie (Spiderman-3 and Pirates 3 got good reviews and sucked), or it isn't gonna be a blockbuster hit. If you wanna post a review on the internet about a movie that most people haven't seen yet doesn't mean jack-shit. It's a Bay movie, it will be panned by critics everywhere.

Doesn't matter, I don't read reviews until after I see the movie and I can agree or disagree on their point of view. I don't follow the herd on anything, I form my own opinion and people who don't like that can go f*** themselves.

There, I said it.

13. The Spider

The Spider Well-Known Member

Pirates 3 got a few good reviews, but I really don't think a 46% on RT indicates that an overall positive impression.

Still, I agree with the whole of your post.

14. MegatronSupporter

MegatronSupporter Well-Known Member

I have been following this tomatometer for Transformers for days.
    I hope these good reviews keep coming from critics even though I never let their
    reviews determine if I want to watch the movie they saw or not...

15. Phorpus

Phorpus RHco.

What's with the lack of respect for cinema here?

Film is an art, whether you like it or not, and remember this when you think people who like the deep meanings in film are pretentious:

If you tell any average person that you're an expert on Transformers and their character and mythology, they'll think you're delusional for thinking so highly of it.

16. MegatronSupporter

Man I am so tired of movie critics hoping for dramatic stuff in a movie when the movie it's self genre wise isn't a DRAMA!!! They seriously need to take a look at the genre of a movie before possibly viewing it...when will they learn?? Oh that is right..never.
    I pity them a bit..they got not idea what they get into.

17. Dark_Convoy

In my case it has nothing to do with not understanding anything, I like to consider myself a fairly intelligent person, I just don't care for pompous, self important, pretentious films.

Or as my wife likes to call it, "artfuckery"

18. MegatronSupporter

I think it sucks when the Transformers movie is only praised for action/transformation/realism look..they may not have enough positive elements for some or less people...but come on...what about the Transformers opinions..emotions...goals, intelligence?? It isn't hard to see there is more to the Transformers then a cool look and cool transformation..it shouldn't be denied..a bit more credit to the Transformers should be given.
    From my point of view I say this because I think it is the damn truth regardless of not enough dialog or none at all for the Transformers in the movie.

19. Dark_Convoy

20. Phorpus

Phorpus RHco.

And I respect that, I know exactly of those really out there in WhatTheHellWasThatVille movies, but it doesn't mean some of its basic ideas and traits aren't interesting.

I'm sorry for sounding like I was sent by the Film Patrol to defend the art but it really bites at me how little respect it gets sometimes with the "Tea-sipping" remarks.

Most of the amateur student film critics don't even know what the good tea is.

I just read this one, too, and this is a strong case of the film critic who read about the basics of screenplays and gouged the Transformers movie for all its worth. But, he's probably right about the script, but he is really exaggerating.

I can almost feel the carbon dioxide he's pumping into the air with his ranting.