Folding plug wins design award

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DeathsHead, Mar 17, 2010.

1. DeathsHead

DeathsHead Well-Known Member

2. defstar

defstar Autobot...

Not trying to hate as that is a really cool design...but nothing beats the standard plug...no moving parts so it's less likely to wear or break...probably cost a lot less to produce as well...learn how to pack better and a plug won't damage anything in transit...

3. DeathsHead

A fair point. But plugs here in the UK are very large and heavy (but SAFE!), so for portable devices like a laptop they can be a real pain.

4. defstar

defstar Autobot...

Are UK plugs larger than US plugs?

5. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Yes, much.

6. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

7. simplygriff

simplygriff ยต - Elitist Dick

News Credits:
    Yep, just needed to quote that. :lol 
    -G

8. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Watch the video and you'll see the true genius behind the new plug idea. At first I personally was lolling at the idea of something as simple as a folding plug winning anything, but at the end of the video you see the real advantage of the system.

The genius behind this idea isn't it's complexity, but rather it's simplicity. For the modern tech filled homes, computer desks and entertainment centers people have been dealing with more and more, the compact way they've set that plug up is brilliant in it's efficiency.

...though looking at it in the guy's hand, it's still pretty huge :lol 

9. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    yup Brit Pugs are larger but im sure with some more tinkering the folding idea could be applied around the world.

10. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, you know those handheld CB radio coms used by truckers and cop cars? Yeah, about that big. They're ginormous.

11. Ratchet2007

Ratchet2007 Neither Here Nor There

News Credits:
    I saw this on BBC Breakfast this morning, thought it was quite cool !

12. DeathsHead

Despite their size I much prefer the UK plug to the continental or US versions (which is fortunate!).

I find the 2 pin US plug to be flimsy, easy to yank out of the wall socket (very difficult with the chunky three pin) and potentially less safe. I presume that many devices in the states do have right angled plugs rather than the somewhat unergonomic 'straight-out-of-the-wall' design?

Part of the reason our plugs are quite sizable is the need for 3rd earth connector pin (not always used) and a built in fuse.

13. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    It's clever indeed, but this was also popping into my mind while watching the video:
    The adaptor for plugging in multiple plugs was very interesting though.

Something I would like is a three pin plug where the wire can turn to go in any direction. I hate when I get a new appliance and the cable is barely long enough and would've had enough length if the wire went into the top or side instead of having to come out of the bottom of the plug.

I guess now though this design or something like it will be hanging off cables on everything soon. At least until we've developed technology to beam energy direct to our devices like an energy wi-fi.
    Pity we can't just run power for everthing through USB-sized wall socket connections.

14. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Whoah, thats a real large plug.

15. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    Transforming plug. Pretty cool.

Gonna make a lot of money on this. I'm sure it'll work out more expensive than the standard plug, and it's not worth it for the average device. But for expensive portable electronics like laptops, phones, etc, this is the way to go. And I can see them selling a lot of those adapters at airports.

16. blumpy2000

blumpy2000 PENGUINS CAN'T FLY!!!

That's a neat little idea. Thought it was kinda pointless at first as I don't have any portable devices, so I couldn't think of a reason why you'd need a foldaway something that gets plugged in once and then left alone until you move.

Also, jeez, why the hell are your plugs so big?

EDit: Is Britishers a real word?

Surprisingly, not as many as you think, which can be incredibly frustrating at times. Not sure why they don't have more right angled ones. Maybe they do it for fire safety, as the straight out of the wall plugs double as "keeping flamable furniture from being crammed up against the socket" protectors. Frustrating nonetheless.

17. Bumblethumper

News Credits:
    One advantage of British plugs over US plugs is they are double the voltage. Well the system is, and the plugs work in that system.

Beyond that, there are just so many plug standards in use that it's hard to say which is truly the best. But the British plugs are extremely safe.

18. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    There are larger plugs in the US, but they require special outlets, usually in workshops or for ovens or what have you.

I always knew the plugs in the UK were big, but jeez, I didn't know they were THAT big.

19. DeathsHead

Don't quote me on this but as I mentioned earlier we have fuses fitted in ALL our plugs and I suspect this - combined with the requirement for a third earthing pin and a solid chunky design that makes them difficult to accidentally remove from the socket (and expose the contacts) - probably has resulted in their comparably larger size.

Not to my knowledge! Although these days with the dictionary adopting slang nonsense all over the place perhaps it might end up as one!

That blows. I must say that having the cable at right angles is a fringe benefit of our big ol' plugs (though it can be occasionally annoying - see Gingerchris' post).

20. Bumblethumper

News Credits:
    They may seem bulky, but they were developed in a time before consumer electronics. Consider the size of the average radio set in those days.
    They also have built-in shutters on the sockets to prevent foreign objects from being inserted.