Focus on Decepticons Discussion

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Foster, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    The preview to the All Hail Megatron series, and my nominee for most kickass cover art of 2008 thus far! Spoilers follow, after I get my book on lunch break that is!

2. Tim Formas

Tim Formas Old Man Administrator

News Credits:
    Nice little special. Includes an intro, the pitch (which you can see on Tipton's blog), interviews with McCarthy and Guidi, early sketches, Decepticon roll call, and the big preview.

Of interest, one of the early sketches for AHM is Kup! He's the only Autobot we see a sketch of. Reflector's components also get sketches.

Rollcall includes Megatron, the three main Seekers, Soundwave and main cassettes, Insecticons, and Constructicons. So, expect to see them all in AHM.

Preview was nice. I assume those are the first 8 pages of Issue #1. The last panel was a NYC skyscraper falling as Megatron and crew walk towards the viewer (away from the scene). Nice.

3. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Scrapper is my new hero. He knows how to have fun on the job. :D 

4. airfox

airfox TF: Cybertronian Wars!

News Credits:
    Is it like the pic of Pat and Roger Lee walking away from the fire? :p 

-airfox

5. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That last scene was badass. But I didn't bother buying it. I'll just get the full issue. I couldn't care less about the sketches and interviews.

6. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    While it is a neat preview I recommend giving it a quick flip through before purchase to see if you like it.

7. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime is an apathetic douchebag

:lolol 

8. Darkspeed

Darkspeed Avatar Freak

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nice preview, I'm glad I shelled out the £2.15 to pick it up... The preview for AHM was worth it! Seeing Scrapper play the crowd the way he did, and Meg's big entrance (And subsequent putdown of Starscream) was brilliant.

My only reservation is that I feel they kinda cheaped out on the roll call... Using the old images from DW's profile books for the images felt a little wrong to me. If anything, they could have just put up some of Guidi's sketches, and maybe given them a bit more of an interesting blurb.

9. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I like the confirmation of Frenzy and Rumble appearing in AHM, and of course the correct coloring. :D 

10. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

Can't wait for this series to start. It is going to be awesome.

11. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Frenzy is Black Rumble is Purple?
    DN

12. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    What do you think this is, a Beast Wars Profile book?

13. DestronGenerals

DestronGenerals Well-Known Member

:lolol 

anyway if this is continuity, why F-15's? I don't care that much, I'm all for free interpretation of the designs as long as the characters are consistent but I wouldn't have thought they would go this route.

14. shadow panther

shadow panther Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    so what was the 10 copy incentive?

15. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    Enjoyed the interviews, really curious how this is going to play out.

Two complaints, though-- as already mentioned, it was pretty lame to use old DW art for the Decepticon rollcall, especially since many of those characters have been redesigned for the IDW-verse.

Also, the preview read really, REALLY fast. Hardly any dialogue at all. I hope the whole book isn't like that...

16. Lord Shockwave

Lord Shockwave Well-Known Member

Well, this issue is just a promotional piece.

Anyway....

Loved Shane's interview and what he's trying to accomplish.

It's exactly what I felt has been missing from the TF IDW run thus far. Namely, more character focus and the journey these characters will take and how events around them will shape who they become.

Loved the Scrapper/Hook moment. These are the moments that help define the cast and distinguish one bot from the next. Provided they are consistent throughout the story.

And we got deaths! Bloody, bloody deaths! I'm not demented, mind you, but certainly I prefer this kind of tone. Readers of the Transformers are older now, and so, the tone must get darker.

Artwork was nice. A bit balloony in some panels, which we want to stay away from.

So I'm seeing some positives here, some potential.

It's a tricky game, though. What is my cause for concern?

Well, I really hope Shane made his best effort to jive with what Simon has done before (understanding that such jive won't be flawless, particulary when Simon's still telling his tale.) I see no problem with him taking things in a different direction, but it has to make sense with what's come before.

For example, if even one hundred human beings sighted the Transformers, as they likely did in Devestation when the Ark nearly crashed in their city, would we have anyone standing around a year later in the street saying "Hey! Look! Giant robot actors! What movie are they from?" as they did in this preview? Unless the nation underwent a total mindwipe, they would be more likely to go "run for your lives, it's those giant warring robots!!!".

So gotta respect the past. That's very important to the success of this title. If it doesn't, we're going to have a lot of angry, disenchanted fans.

Overall, I'm really stoked about this and can't wait to see how this unfolds. Liking what I'm seeing, cautiously optimistic

17. DeceptiKreep

DeceptiKreep Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My comic book shop did not get Focus in ... said something about east coast/west coast delivery time. Pee's me off! Said he "might have it next week"

18. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

So I kinda got hoodwinked paying $3 for a preview, an few interviews and some old recycled art.

But you know? It was pretty good.

Lord Shockwave: I think the reason people didn't recognise the TF's from the events in Devastation (other than the obvious, that this was not originally planed to be "in continuity" but was changed at the last minute, hence the F15's) is that The city attacked in All Hail is NYC, while the city where the Ark crashed in Devastation is on the Gulf of Mexico. Since the military is involved there could have been an imposed media black out. (And maybe that one pedestrian was just REALLY #^&ing stupid? There's always ONE in a crowd)

Two promising details:

1.) Thundercracker really does seem to take exception to the carnage, not enough to speak up, but in every panel he seems reluctant in his body language. It's really cool that artists are finally starting to acknowledge this.

2.) The Constructicons seem to fall into three distinct classes, the proletariat Long Haul and Scavenger, who suffer from low self esteem. The Intellectuals, Hook and Mixmaster, who are more thinkers than fighters. And the Mob/muscle/millitary: Bonecrusher and Scrapper. All three groups seem to have a High (Hook, Longhaul, Scrapper) and Low (Mixmaster, Scavenger, Bonecrusher). The "Highs" (for lack of a better term) are more outgoing and charasmatic, The "Lows" are sullen and more violent.

I'd never really though of it before but you could do a 6 issue miniseries on the Constructicons ALONE! Just from the different personalities, and how they ever banded together in the first place.

19. D-Drive

D-Drive Informative Lurker

News Credits:
    The incentive cover is just 3 black in white pictures of Megatron's appearance from this issue. Nothing too special...but it is free.

20. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    I dunno...
    ...BLACK!
    [​IMG]
    AND PURPLE! (this revelation subsequently led Frenzumbley, or whoever the hell he's supposed to be, into a mental breakdown)
    [​IMG]
    Details don't matter =P
    DN