FOC Springer & Astrotrain at Robotkingdom

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by payres, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Skottech

Skottech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    But since these are supposed to be Pre-Earth designs the Human-made shuttle color scheme should be a non-issue

2. Prime Jetscream

Prime Jetscream HE PULLS THE STRINGS AND HE MAKES THEM RING

News Credits:
    In my opinion, the Fall of Cybertron designs all are very different from each other while keeping the same style. They all have certain characteristics that make them stand out, I don't see why they can't do that with Astrotrain.

...On a similar note, am I the only one that noticed that Springer's concept art flight mode is just a recolor of the generic Autobot Dropship design?

3. zemega

zemega Well-Known Member

As far as I'm concerned that x2 adverstisement make me think that there will be two version of Springer. One that turns from robot into buggy, and the other one turns from robot to craft.

4. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:

It also says Astrotrain X2.

Case of 4. Therefore 2 of each?

5. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Astrotrain is one of the few classics that I think looks worse than the original G1 counterpart. Him and Perceptor.

6. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :redface2: 

7. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Seems legit

8. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

I kind of want a Cybertronian Space Choo-Choo.

9. grimtnt

grimtnt Armada is older now than G1 was in 2002

News Credits:
    omg I just realised springers hover ship mode looks like sideswipes drop ship from the game

10. Primacron

Primacron Well-Known Member

This is absolutely awesome news! I sold my Defender last year in the hope we might get a decent official Springer.

A repaint of Springer as Sandstorm makes sense, I wonder if they could somehow repaint Astrotrain as Blitzwing?

11. Impactor1106

Impactor1106 WRECKER

News Credits:
    Not unless Astrotrain also has a Tank mode!! I want a proper Blitzwing, not a sorry excuse of a repaint, he is waaaaaaaaaay overdue for a proper release.

12. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    YES! And then that Blitzwing can be remolded/repainted and released as Overlord..........(runs for cover)

13. Impactor1106

Impactor1106 WRECKER

News Credits:
    Actually that wouldn't be a bad idea, maybe the best Overlord we will ever get from Hasbro - I would be okay with it, as long as they get his lips right. LOL.

14. jop

jop Sesquipedaliacon

I'm sure that the designers will be able to create a pair of alternate modes for Astrotrain that will differ sufficiently from those of his Fall of Cybertron compatriots; I think the real issue is whether or not those self-same alternate modes will invoke their Earth-based counterparts, or end up as overly general representations of land and space-based travel.

As it stands, I suspect that we will unfortunately end up with generic representations; not as any slight against the designers, but because Astrotrain's traditional two alternate modes are highly specific and potentially much more difficult to translate to a Cybertronian equivalent than many of the other such updates seen thus far. How could the designers represent the connecting rods found on traditional locomotives for instance, or keep the familiar flared nozzle cones of a rocket engine-powered space shuttle? Such visual cues are a necessary qualification of a successful update, I feel; and yet they translate poorly to Fall of Cybertron's futuristic aesthetic.

I think you were, yes. For what it's worth, I think perhaps Springer's proposed gunship mode was repurposed for the Autobot dropship; or maybe that both Springer's gunship mode and the Autobot dropship design were intended to be reflective of one another, although this seems less likely.

15. kaos

kaos the original thirteen

no...do it right hasbro or dont do it at all..a hate repaints/rehashes..

16. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    Let me guess... Thundercracker and Skywarp are exempt from this, right?

17. 0ptimus__Prime

0ptimus__Prime Autobot Commander

News Credits:
    Wow, I like the sound of a voyager Astrotrain! Hopefully Blitzwing will appear soon.

18. Primacron

Primacron Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer him to have his own mold, but if it was designed from the beginning ala Tracks/Wheeljack and given it will be Cybertronian altmodes, it might be acceptable.

19. anotheran

anotheran Old skooler

that design, "subject to Hasbro final confirmation" looks too expensive to do at the $29.99 price point. They couldn't even do TFP Breakdown for the voyager price point, what makes you think they can do this design?

They'll need to hollow him out at the back. Majorly reduce the paint apps, brighten the paint up to a green like FOC Brawl to attract the kids, and remove some of the easy to break off parts like around the ship.

20. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Exactly. Things have changed over the last 25 years. Repaints are inevitable, but at least they are designing extra parts at the beginning to make the repaint look even more different. As per your example ( and I'd also put forth Sideswipe/Sunstreaker ), when done right, it works really well. I could totally see Sandstorm and Springer sharing a mold. Heck, they got the same type of alt modes. Car and helicopter. It's a no brainer.