Digibash: FOC Sideswipe into Roadgrabber

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by WhiteMocha, May 23, 2012.

1. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

So I think I finally figured out into whom I want FOC Sideswipe repainted (or at least one possibility; this is a really versatile mold, I think you could get a number of great homages out of it). Anyhow, I noticed the other day that Sideswipe's alt mode bears some superficial resemblance to Roadgrabber's Pretender shell:

[​IMG]

So, that led to this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Obviously it doesn't have the front mandibles, so it doesn't quite have the "earwig-on-wheels" quality of G1 Roadgrabber (though, as an aside, I think a Prime Vehicon could evoke that a bit... it has mandible-like spikes in car mode). And of course he's no longer a Pretender but just a regular old 'bot. But aside from that, I feel like this mold could evoke the character fairly well.

Thoughts and feedback welcome!

Attached Files:

2. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Your genius continues. I think this is great and needs to be done.

3. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:
    Would never have occurred to me, but works well, imo.

4. Saberfrost01

Saberfrost01 元ロボ ダイユーシャ

When it comes to the obscure but effective, you never fail to dissapoint, WhiteMocha.

5. Shatterpoint

Shatterpoint Neato

News Credits:
  6. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Jaw dropping awesome man! Good stuff!!!!!

7. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator

News Credits:
    FANtastic!! :thumb 

8. WhiteMocha

Thanks very much, guys! :) 

Thanks Saberfrost! That's great to hear, because that's exactly the kind of repaint that I get excited about: the out-of-left-field but weirdly effective kind. So that's what I try to shoot for myself.

I could see that! He has similar bulky wheel-arms, and the chest/hood could be painted with Calcar's sword design. I'd always be up for a new Classicized G2 character.

Thanks, glad you guys like it! :) 

One other thing that I think makes this mold work as Roadgrabber is its top-heaviness in bot mode. With the tiny legs and bulky upper body, it almost gives the feeling of a skinny robot wearing a big car-suit over his shoulders... appropriate for a Pretender.

9. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    after just getting g1 roadgrabber, i'm sold on this, and may end up doing it, nice catch, i think if you coloured the ground effects/front airdam the same colour as the mandibles, you could get the effect of them being there, all it would take to totally sell it imo, is some putty over the lines on the windshield

10. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    That's genius. Roadgrabber is one of my favorite dudes. This needs to happen.

11. Ranger Silver 6

Ranger Silver 6 Avatar by Pinpoint

I swear you guys are certified geniuses, I am amazed everytime I get on

12. WhiteMocha

Ah, you know, that's a good point. Making that central section under the grille pink would probably help suggest the mandibles a bit more. I might do a revised version with that, thanks!

Yeah, putty over the windshield would help sell it, if this were done as a custom. Although these FOC cars don't really have windshields per se, so I was sort of thinking of the orange part as an opaque, reflective sensory array more than an actual window that a driver would look out of. I'm curious what the plastic layout is for this mold, and how it is divided up by color, and I wonder how logistically possible it would be to mold that windshield part in one color while molding the body in another.

Thanks for the reply! Good points! :) 

Thanks guys, I appreciate it! Shimabura, I agree, I always liked Roadgrabber, there's something inherently cool about him. Incidentally, on a completely different note, I really enjoy your artwork! :) 

13. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    And I really enjoy your digibashes (as I said before, PURE genius stuff you think of) and your avatar. Water critter Battle Beasts forever!

Seeing Pretender and Action Master homages in toys lately make me happy, and seeing your Roadgrabber idea makes me even more hopeful for what's yet to come. I wonder who would make a good Gunrunner for him to face off against...

14. 2ndSndWve

2ndSndWve Hen... Shin!

News Credits:
    if you look long enough at his abdomen and crotch, it looks like the head and torso of a g1 fig.

15. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Well-Known Member

I didn't even know we were getting a Sideswipe in the FoC toys. I love these but I don't know if I can justify getting him because it's just Jazz with a new head.

16. Dinodigger97

Dinodigger97 germinates within you.

News Credits:
    That's a very awesome idea. Although I think he needs a new head. This one is just very "Autobot".

But that's just me. This is your idea/digibash anyway..:) 

17. WhiteMocha

Yeah, good question, I don't know! The one that springs to mind first is Hound, as Gunrunner looks like sort of a Jeep-ish offroad vehicle. But it's a loose similarity at best. Hopefully some promising candidate shows up one of these days!

Haha, yeah, I totally see that. Orange visor, purple faceplate, side-ears. :) 

I know where you're coming from, but I gotta say, as remolds go this guy is pretty ambitious. It's not just a new head, it's also an almost completely new car shell, from front to back, and a new weapon. I honestly didn't even notice at first that he was a Jazz remold, he looked so distinct.

Yeah, I'd agree with that, Sideswipe's head is awfully friendly-looking for a 'Con. I was just too lazy to slap Roadgrabber's actual head on there... and was probably trying to think in the Hasbro-friendly "budget repaint" vein. :) 

18. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Well-Known Member

I thought I noticed something weird about the vehicle mode other than the fact it's red now. I wasn't sure what it was because I couldn't get TFWiki to load so I could compare him to Jazz.

I know it's a retool because he has the same fake wheel thing going on in robot mode where you can see his real front wheel behind his arm panel assembly.

Now that I've gotten a better look at the differences between the two I will be getting both. Sideswipe isn't really accurate to his CGI model in the game though, I kinda wish they made an entirely new mold for him instead of a Jazz retool. Unless that's how Sideswipe looks in Fall of Cybertron in which case I'm fine with it.

19. Dinodigger97

Dinodigger97 germinates within you.

News Credits:
    To go with the FOC vibe........FOC Swindle?

20. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    Brilliant, just brilliant!