Minor/Repaint: FoC Shockwave

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Yaujta, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Yaujta

Yaujta Broken. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Major thanks to Big Hank for some help with the leg panel assembly on this. I had the idea from the get go, but he did it first and offered some guidance on the build.

He still transforms, but I don't want to risk rub areas at this point.

So, I wanted to give my favorite character a suitable paintjob and better legs. Here's what came of the idea.
    The paint is a wash technique, with some fine lining for edges. Paints used were Krylon Fusion, Vallejo Game Inks and Model Series paints, DeeDee's Magic Sauce and Testor's laquors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didn't add LED's or any lighting due to the fact that he'll have a diorama base that's in the works.

Attached Files:

2. spartan 3764

spartan 3764 Yellow ♡ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Master of Logic=Master of Style.
    kool job bro, ided like to see the diorama :) 

3. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    :thumb 

4. tkadufcjswo

tkadufcjswo Member

Wow, you made the figure 200% better! Tutorial please?!

5. aledromo

aledromo Decepticon at the Gate

Indeed. Also, any plans to yellow his eye? Or am I being too G1? ;) 

6. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Fantastic man. And please for the love of all you hold dear give us a video tutorial for the legs!

7. Yaujta

News Credits:
    The diorama will be part of his lab. I'm planning a bunch of goodies for it, so stay tuned.

:D 

I'm going to keep it as it. the light-piping is perfect, so I'd rather not paint over it.

Sorry, I didn't take any WIP's of the legs.
    What I essentially did was remove the pin, and reposition it slightly out from the leg by not replacing it the entire way back in. Then, sanded down the post on the additional leg panel to match where the head of the pin would naturally be. Luckily, the shape of the post matches perfectly and creates a natural guide to the placement.
    I added some Green Stuff to the place the pin would mount, just to add some support, and that's it. Everything lines up perfectly.
    I have no idea why Hasbro didn't do this with the original figure, seeing as how it all fits. The panel makes a world of difference and takes away the skinnyness of the legs.

8. jametron

jametron Release the Kraken!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    Damn, that's sweet! Really improves those legs and the paint job is great... can't wait to see his lab!

9. Yaujta

News Credits:
    Thanks!
    The lab will have lighting and monitors. I have plans to abuse the light-piping, so if a few supplies arrive in a timely manner, it'll be started shortly, right alongside my work on Cyberverse Soundwave and a very large sculpture painting commission.

If anyone's interested-
    The purple painting was done without actually using paint. It was base-coated in a matte finish light gray Krylon primer, then I used a very watered-down ink wash for a general base coat. After that, I applied gradually heavier coats of ink so that the recesses went darker and the highlights stayed natural.
    Once the purple was as dark as it would go, I added some black Dee Dee's Magic Wash (specialized wash for miniatures) to the mix to deepen the shadows and increase contrast. The cool part about the black add-in is that it isn't a blue-black, but more of an amber-black, which naturally complimented the purple. It created a richness to the color that isn't fully visible in pictures (unfortunately), but does show in some of the gray areas.
    The gray was a base of silver-gray, washed with the black wash, then washed with the same gray but heavily watered down, then thin highlighted.

10. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Sorry, I'm not quite following. Can you take some pictures to try and show what you did? I'd also like to see what it looks like from below in vehicle mode but that can wait until you are comfortable transforming him.

11. Yaujta

News Credits:
    When I do my next one, I'll take WIP shots. I know I should have this time, but I was into the project and didn't want to stop for pics.

12. twiztidRodimus

twiztidRodimus Shattered Glass Autobot

News Credits:
    Im curious of the scaling in comparison to other figures. If it made him taller, count me into wanting to try this.

13. Yaujta

News Credits:
    No height added, sorry.

14. YakMaster003

YakMaster003 It is only logical...

Hiya! When do you think you'll have a chance to make a pic tutorial? I recently picked up a second FoC Shocks and really want to try out the leg panel mod.

Also, what tools did you use for the pins? I don't want to smooth the legs or mess anything up while I'm working.

Thanks a bunch!

15. Yaujta

News Credits:
    A second one has been put on hold for the time being, but will take pics for the next one.

For the pin, I used a wood burner to heat it up, then needle-nosed pliers to pull it out.